Obsidian

Obsidian

A Poem by Cole Hayley

Obsidian


Tonight I painted myself black and white. 


I coated every bit of colour with an exquisite grey scale

Every single tint of hue was dressed up in a simple garment, 

Safe from any ridicule and safe from any burden.. 


I made sure I erased everything I loved about myself, 

I made sure I covered up my body so I wouldn't offend anybody else, 

Safe from any ridicule and safe from living room conversations.. 


Tonight I painted my room black and white. 


Everything that I built up for the last four years lost every shade of personality, 

All of my poems became watered down with blotchy ink, 

Saving them from any ridicule and from any criticism.. 


I painted my window to make sure that I couldn't see the sunset anymore, 

Never again will I be so fantasized with the withering stars, 

Safe from disappointment, I guess. 


Tonight I painted my past black and white. 


I made sure I wouldn't be hurt by any unnecessary memories, 

I made sure that I would lose myself somewhere back there,

Covered in tar and silk feathers. 


Safe from everything.. 




© 2012 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, damn again, I seem to be highly relating to the teen world lately, I'm trying to keep my world colored even though I've recently been tarred and feathered too, but you know those things make you ..you...don't hide your light or your memories, it doesn't work anyway it only makes your days dull and missing much. :) I really love your poetry :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Denying the self to save oneself from criticism and ridicule and in trying not to offend others, surly a stark existence, as this poem reflects, so well. Can't please all of the people... so you might as well be true to self!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kinda like an all or nothing feel to it...to see things without the gray points..either in the light or content to remain in shadow...not really living just alive because one breathes...I liked the way you wrote this piece. I truely did. It tells somewhat of a story all by its self..but adds a mono-toned like feel to the words..like a voice that has no soul to it...that's very expressive btw. Says alot for how the writer was viewing that around them..seeing light or shadow. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
WOW!!!! This comment won't be put a few minutes after I actually wrote it considering I have to listen to the song!!!!!!! SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!! YOUR WRITE FANTASICALLY AS WELL! I LOVE THIS POEM! :D

A DANCE FOR YOU!

^(*-*)^ ^(*-*)> *-*)>

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great poem as usual. I love the message and the idea that this poem gives. I wish I could shut myself off from everyone and everything. I guess that would be death. In that case, I want to die.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is the act of alienation. The act of withdrawal or isolation from one's surroundings or events or activities as through indifference or disaffection. Adolescents are the most frequent victims of the feeling. This is not uncommon to and must highly be recognized by adults.

I love the way you use the typical form of language. Its simplicity and loosely defined structure made it easy to follow.

Great piece!



Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Powerful and emotional. Very well written and it has a clear message and image coming across. Great job, well done :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sometimes it would just be easier to conform to the rest of the world so as not to endure criticism etc. we all want to be safe but there is strength in us to express our individuality. but the narrator already sounds defeated. i especially like the part about wanting to be rid of the past. 'i made sure i wouldn't be hurt by any unnecessary memories...' that is something i, too, wish i can do. excellent poem. not schmaltzy at all.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poignant write and some great word choices covered in tar and silk feather such a striking line. Painting the room black and white makes it simple to deal with or does it. Thought provoking.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1346 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 13, 2012
Tags: Obsidan poem poetry

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drips of Wisdom #10 Drips of Wisdom #10

A Chapter by Pax


LIVE ON LIVE ON

A Poem by afra