Obsidian

Obsidian

A Poem by Cole Hayley

Obsidian


Tonight I painted myself black and white. 


I coated every bit of colour with an exquisite grey scale

Every single tint of hue was dressed up in a simple garment, 

Safe from any ridicule and safe from any burden.. 


I made sure I erased everything I loved about myself, 

I made sure I covered up my body so I wouldn't offend anybody else, 

Safe from any ridicule and safe from living room conversations.. 


Tonight I painted my room black and white. 


Everything that I built up for the last four years lost every shade of personality, 

All of my poems became watered down with blotchy ink, 

Saving them from any ridicule and from any criticism.. 


I painted my window to make sure that I couldn't see the sunset anymore, 

Never again will I be so fantasized with the withering stars, 

Safe from disappointment, I guess. 


Tonight I painted my past black and white. 


I made sure I wouldn't be hurt by any unnecessary memories, 

I made sure that I would lose myself somewhere back there,

Covered in tar and silk feathers. 


Safe from everything.. 




© 2012 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I find this poem well-written with the theme and message sent strong and direct. As the lines convey, the "painting of black and white" particularly in writing poems was to "be safe" from "ridicule and criticism". Those lines really made me sad and I feel what you feel. However, your poem's worth does not depend on what others think but on what you feel and want to get across to the reader. We do not write to be ridiculed and unfairly criticized, because no one has a right to do that for whatever "poetic" reason. Reviews are subjective and depends on the reader's views - which may or may be correct. We review to constructively aid the writing, and it is still the writer's free will to accept the suggestion. Your poem here already expressed the stifling effect of ridicule towards a writer, it dampens his mood and suppresses his love for the art of poetry. That is never right. Color your poems with as many hues you want and with as many kaleidoscope myriad shades of life there is - never mind the ridicule and the bashing - you write for YOU.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

It's f*****g bizarre you would even say I'm racist. My wife is Latina. Brazilian. Half her family is.. read more
cynthiabuhainbaello

11 Years Ago

Your a pathetic coward.
JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

You're*
Interesting thoughts create by the poem. Most of us try to seek a place of safety. I like the use of black and white to make your point in the poem. Thank you for the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

safe from everything... a bleak prospect indeed .. well done..

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, Mr. Calopsita and I actually agree on something. "Covered in tar and silk feathers" really is a wonderful line.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

We're either giant cockroaches wearing human suits trying ever so desperately to eat our baguettes i.. read more
If I do review the poem, fair enough, but can people stop saying "OK, first off, great song choice." I mean what does that even mean? He hears this music in relation to the piece fair enough, but do you have to lick his a*s quite so relentlessly? It's on every poem I've seen posted on this website which includes a song.

I am 100% certain I'd hear and see something else, something completely different to other people, and upon conveying that fact I wouldn't expect or want anybody else to say "great choice of visual representation there" or whatever.

The whole point is poetry evokes certain feelings and responses in different people and that's just the way it is. Can we just calm the f**k down and try to lick everybody's arses before we turn into a giant f*****g field full of little terriers and pugs shoving our noses up each others cracks? F**k me, it's like nursery here how everyone just holds hands and comments on how pretty their acne is.

Moving on to the poem. I liked it. I liked the sense of self-loathing and disappointment and that humility. That idea that you cant escape all your past or criticism or other peoples judgement is a pretty apt understanding of life, and is represented within the confines of your poem rather well.

Repetition of "I did this" and "Safe from/saving" adds continuity and a good rhythm to the piece and drills in the idea you have done whatever you did for whatever reason and you're now trying to save yourself from the consequences. You're learning from your mistakes and trying to shut out the same eventualities being realised again.

The use of black and white and grey is a good way to separate your colourful stanzas as they act as breaks between them, almost like breakwaters at the beach, you know they stand out and stretch into the sea, breaking up the current and to prevent longshore drift. You do that with your poem in that sense. You keep all the sand in specific areas. It's a good way to give your poem clarity and make it be taken seriously.

I especially loved the line "safe from living room conversations." Everybody will relate to that and it's poetic enough for it to not be mainstream or too literal.

That penultimate line is so f*****g important but I don't know why. "Covered in tar and silk feathers." I mean, that's wonderful. I immediately think of a child in tar covered angel wings huddled up in some factory building corner and then about 50,000 dead cormorants behind her, stuck to the floor in oil. It's a f*****g wonderful line and very subtle but moody. I'd like to know the inspiration for that, as it is probably the most important part of the poem in my opinion. It completely changes the tone of the poem and then you end it very sombrely with "safe from everything" like you're away from that factory, and all those oiled birds. But the child is still there. Your "..." implies that it's not over. There is something to be resolved.

It's a nice poem and first one I've read on this site for a few days now, let alone review. Thanks for the read. And lovely choice of word for the title.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Okay, first off, great song choice. :) Also, the poem was really good. It was emotional and entertaining without sounding whiny or overly dramatic. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I see fear. You don't want to have to deal with the reality around you but you can't just block it out, so you erase yourself, so your not really you even though you're still there. You're just another person now. Blending in with the crowd. Excellent poem. I loved it because the truth in this poem is so in your face, everything about it pure, rare. Fantastic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One way to stay safe all right...get rid of the colours of opinions...you make the point that it would be very dull indeed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1346 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 13, 2012
Tags: Obsidan poem poetry

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drips of Wisdom #10 Drips of Wisdom #10

A Chapter by Pax