I Can Write Dark Endings Too

I Can Write Dark Endings Too

A Poem by Cole Hayley
"

Just how I felt today.

"

Today I just can't shake this terrible feeling. 

A feeling of complete plastic innocence.

To be covered in a beautiful scintillation from a glass shell 

Only to be coated with an onyx shroud of oil. 

The dusky reflection from my mirror's greying metal plays with my hair

Its rusted fingertips try to be so inconspicuous in the groggy gloaming

I know they will never tell me the truth. 

All that lies below me is just a sanctuary of green.

Mossy undergrowth sticking out through a sea of melancholy 

Vacillating an immense glow from the towering woodlands. 

And now for once in my life I can finally feel everything… 

Everything holding me back from its brilliant promises. 

I know I don't belong down there.

Down there with all of its beautiful mutations and authentic colours

The shadows of my darkest thoughts will just cloud mating season. 

Today I decided to go for a run on the boardwalk. 

I noticed something on my fourth lap around the splintering dead grove

The carcass of a seagull was floating  in the murky pond

Covered ever so carefully with a decaying brume. 

It had the most honest grin plastered on its face. 

A grin that told me that I'm the only one who's afraid 

A grin that ruined my whole week. 


© 2012 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley
I decided to write this poem after I went for a jog today and I saw a dead seagull in the water along the boardwalk. For some reason it just ruined my whole day.



My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

deep musings. already feeling off then having to be faced with that carcass. to me when you said 'it had the most honest grin plastered on his face,' it's like the seagull mirrored who we are and we don't always like to see the truth. it would ruin my day too, if it pointed to a vulnerability. great poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I agree with the title ;) this is haunting and excellent. Great job, it was intricatly woven with emotion and vocabulary, amazing and well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You most certainly can write dark endings too. Every living thing dies at some point or another. It's sad. It's sad to witness it, to stumble across it, to happen...but even when something dies, it only reminds us, we are still alive. It's okay to mourn. Don't let it ruin your day, though. It might sound silly, but live for that seagull that doesn't have anymore days. Pretend to soar the skies where it's happiest days were spent. At least, that's what I believe....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good description took the reader to the location and thoughts in the poem. Death of a animal can effect us in many ways. I like the closing of this poem. Thank you for the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your writes are always so much more advanced than your age gives credit for, such talent at 17, I can only imagine what you will be pumping out at 30, excellent work,
you remind me of someone, but then everyone reminds me of someone. I wouldn't let the seagull ruin your entire week though, for every dead one there are hundreds still alive.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Poignant write a grin that told me only I was afraid ... Good line in fact too many good lines to quote lovely read sad as it is.

Posted 11 Years Ago


my fav lines were
The dusky reflection from my mirror's greying metal plays with my hair
Its rusted fingertips try to be so inconspicuous in the groggy gloaming
I know they will never tell me the truth.

i think they were amazing ...over all good job

Posted 11 Years Ago


Seeing a dead seagull would certainly upset me, but you have to move past it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Woah. This is... I love it. Amazing how something so simple can turn into something so incredible. Fantastic work, just amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

473 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2012
Last Updated on July 28, 2012
Tags: I Can Write Dark Endings Too

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing