Crysanthemum

Crysanthemum

A Poem by Cole Hayley

< Chrysanthemum >


Fluorescent light slithers down Joseph's throat and turns him belly up. It manages to keep him awake even after the dawn had stupefied his consciousness and carried his body through the garden. Surrounded by flowers that are blooming on the sides of cardboard boxes, Joseph awakens swimming in crisp soil. Gasping for breath he becomes a sunflower in the breaking daylight. In a moments notice he subsumes to a selfish caress with himself, where he sweetens his morning tea with a hint of the sweetest pollen, just an excuse to stay asleep a little while longer. Wallowing in his own filth,Joseph realizes the time and tries to climb out from his seed. Digging his fingernails into the universe he crawls out of the catacomb and into the velvet grassland. 


Joseph is swindled by the weeds that remains callowed underneath his calloused feet and the shrubs that tickles the ends of every mean. 


He watches as the clouds pass through the calls of "good morning!". Hereafter he swears to the heavens that he has gone mad.


Perkiness pinches his cheeks with a sleepless clarity. Brushing his bed-head hair with a wooden comb and wetting his cowlick with the morning dew. Patiently Joesph waits for the universe to let him in on the bulging secrets, he climbs up onto the highest esker and shouts out his name. The surrounding valleys can't control the excitement of the encounter as they watch with teary eyes. Joseph begins to rotate in a painstaking cycle, fading through ultraviolet turns on a three hundred and sixty degree angel, looking for a hint of reality. 


In the distance a crow plummets onto a rodent, snatching it up in his beak… 


Joseph sighs as it flies into the horizon. 


 

© 2012 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley
This is a different type of style I wanted to bring here. This is a part of a 8 poem collection booklet I'm doing called "Fuel & Pollen". This booklet goes from dawn to nightfall, and in order this is the dawn. My first poem after a short hiatus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm going to be honest. When I saw that the poem looked a little long I had a lazy moment and I wasnt going to read it tonight but the music that you put with it totally pulled me in and I read it! I'm so glad I did because this poem was amazing. I've never read anything like this before, I'm so impressed! the imagery that was placed in this piece is awesome! This is truly one of a kind. Beautiful job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing imagery combined with the music, made for an incredible read. Well written Cole.

Posted 11 Years Ago


More of a story then a poem. Good description made me read the story a second time. I like how you use the language to create good visions and strong characters and situations. Thank you for the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing visualization... your work is one of a kind. I love your style of writing, it's very unique... Wonderful write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well written. I dig the perspective shift to something inanimate, bringing conciousness to it. Theres a feeling of animistic worship or an exploration of nature's throught processes which is refreshing. Looking forward to reading more of this series.

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow such a beautiful write ...well done

Posted 11 Years Ago


brings to mind a story in allegory. great narrative poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
GENIUS! I LOVED IT! I'll admitt I'm not in a good mood but this was beautiful. I love flowers with a passion! To read about them is breath taking! Lovely song to go along as well. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Joseph is swindled by the weeds that remains callowed underneath his calloused feet and the shrubs that tickles the ends of every mean.
Loved this... great metaphors !!!

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

757 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2012
Last Updated on August 26, 2012
Tags: Crysanthemum Fuel And Pollen Col

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


LIVE ON LIVE ON

A Poem by afra