The Moonlit Vase

The Moonlit Vase

A Poem by Cole Hayley

 

The moonlit vase held the passions of dead grandmothers

Just as the old bureaus held brooches they once had worn

And as the old graves held bones they once had worn.

 

The moonlit vase held the passions of dead grandmothers

Just as steeple-headed men circled pleas that we had mourned

And as the old graves held the bones we had mourned.

 

The moonlit vase held the passion but did not keep the passion in

It poured to the hardwood like old wine once did

And it made funny squares like old windows once did.

 

The moonlit vase held the passion but did not keep the passion in

It spilt into the kitchen just like the rose’s chopped stem

And it made a split just like the rose’s chopped stem.

© 2014 Cole Hayley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are quite talented, I could tell from your poem titles that you were.

I like the repetition and the honorable use of the past tense.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Poignant piece ,deep write lovely as usual.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautiful repetition. I've been there, so this piece speaks to me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Love the use of repetition in this piece. To disagree with another reviewer, I actually agree with the selection of "spilt" and "split", it has a certain sense of reversal, which I think is present through out the poem, creating a tension with the apparent finality of death. Then again, is death final? I'm not a big believer in the after life, but I can appreciate that once a loved one has passed on, there are remnants, like the passion you describe here. This poem has made me think, which a poem really ought to do. All in all, another successful poem!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I was thrown off when you didn't put a song with it because to me that was your signature lol but I love the new format of your poems lately. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


It may not have kept it in but ... it does make it a point to show how it managed ... and perhaps to say ' don't do what I did. I couldn't keep it in.' Nice write Cole ... its coming along nicely.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A very well written piece in my opinion. I'm not a really big fan of poetry myself, but even I can see that you truly have a gift here. I specifically truly loved that the first line of the first and second stanza were the same and that applies for the other two stanzas as well. I feel like the repetitiveness truly emphasized what each stanza stood for in its own right.

Posted 10 Years Ago


What an amazing first line! So singular and grabbing! Really enjoyed this poem of yours. Repetitive lines worked well. Just not sure if "split" is the right verb to use in the last stanza... I like it in the last line but not the middle line... I can't imagine a vase splitting. Last line sounds lovely though. Haha, sorry, that is probably no help at all... Thanks for sharing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
oh, its really profound...

I feel like this is a tribute to your grandmother...
i feel like the Moonlit Vase of onces was...
missing the old memories...
missing someone...

i felt the sad sting of reality in this piece...
i like it cole, very nicely penned!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very good (although I think it might do with a little tidying up here and there.) I love the image of the moonlight vase spilling over the passions held in it.

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

628 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on February 9, 2014
Tags: poetry, poem, writing

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Days Days

A Poem by Cole Hayley