Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Courtney

There had been no sign that we were being followed. Yet there it was; was it a warning? Someone’s sick idea of a joke? There could be no telling of the intentions behind the message, or if it was in fact a message. I chose to put it out of my mind, deciding not to worry Landon, who had begun to recover from his night’s sleep.
He looked over to me groggily, “Everything okay, baby?” He mumbled in his dazed state as he stretched his arms out, beckoning me to him
I went to him, closing my eyes as the calmness that came with being enveloped in his arms washed over me. “Everything’s fine; I was just walking around. Shot us an elk” I took a deep breath before standing up, maintaining my hold on one of his hands. We stood together for a few moments before I began to lead him to where I had left the bleeding elk.
As we crossed the threshold where the clearing met the trees, I was once again taken aback by the unnatural stillness and silence. I froze; having the urge to turn and run, my grip tightened on Landon’s hand until my knuckles began to turn white. He looked over at me quizzically. “Courtney, what's wrong....?” Overwhelmed to the point where my mouth would open, but was too dry to form words, he grabbed me by my shoulders trying to get a reaction. When he found none, he grabbed me into his arms where I buried my head into his neck and we ran back to our small camp.
I was shaking uncontrollably with what may have been fright. I was completely unable to control myself as he put me back on my feet where the dizziness overpowered me and I slumped against him. He laid me on the floor of the clearing, me as a statue, eyes wide staring at the blazing sun, yet unable to look away. I had no idea why this reaction was overpowering me, as my love rushed to grab a canteen full of water. He ran back to my side and forced water into my mouth; but my throat was too swollen to swallow. My face was burning and he proceeded to splash some on my face. My eyes shot closed as they were on fire, dry, confused.
I gasped, strained, as one waking up from a dreadful nightmare. I sprung up and tried to control my heavy, sporadic breathing, launching myself into Landon’s arms. He held tight onto me, repeating soothing words “It’s all going to be okay... I’m here” in an attempt to calm me down.
Once I had regained my breathing I looked over to the trees. I felt the silence calling to me; reaching it’s cold immobile talons toward me as another chill went through me. “The elk...” Was all my parched mouth could muster as I sank down onto the ground, my fire gone for the time being.
Landon stood and moved towards the forest, leaving me to rest as I clutched my bow with an arrow notched. He made it to the line of trees and crossed with no conflict. He walked to the spot I had aforementioned and I saw him step behind the massive, twisting oak that the dead elk lied beyond. After a few moments, he walked back towards me, empty-handed; shaking his head.
“That’s impossible...” I mumbled under my breath as I slowly rose to my feet walking towards him. I picked up my pace before I was running, past him; back towards the forest. I paused at the edge before reluctantly easing my way beyond. Aside from a dull pounding at my temple, there was no blinding fear or any sign of the sheer terror I had been witness to just moments before. There was even a songbird, chirping away on a nearby branch. The sounds of the forest had returned. As I rounded behind the oak, I looked down to see completely unruffled, lush green grass. There was no blood on the floor of the forest, no sign of the large rope used as a bond. The elk was nowhere to be seen.


© 2013 Courtney


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another Captivating chapter, I am intrigued!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 6, 2013
Last Updated on January 8, 2013


Author

Courtney
Courtney

West Lafayette, IN



Writing
Distance Distance

A Poem by Courtney


Rise Again Rise Again

A Poem by Courtney