Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Courtney

We set out the next morning, after pausing to pack up as best we could our combined rations. The accession of the canine had done wonders to boost not only the morale of our minimalist company, but also was the same as adding an uplifting soul within the morose state to which our group had succumbed. As we continued on our path, we passed many travelers, on their way to distance themselves from our predetermined destination. Yet no one seemed to have any news, we found nothing that could help us know what to possibly expect. All we had to go on was that which they had deemed fit to show us over our tv’s when we were back at our old home.

We had no way of knowing if this was the truth, or merely what they wanted to convey to instill the most fear in the people; to try to dissuade those like us, who wanted to set out for change. For the most part, it had worked. There had been much publicity for those who had ventured as far as to even make remarks against Control. Public execution was a common punishment for such treason.
As we walked, we talked little. There was not much to be said that wasn’t already on all of our minds already.We would pause for a few moments to rest, eat, or the like; but we would always soon continue on our way. We were not ones to waste daylight. For when the nightfall came, they would come looking. That’s when they always came. At night, people were at their most vulnerable; pausing to sleep. Those who are foolish enough to not rest at a completely isolated location, or at least hide their tracks, would be caught and questioned. If you were caught, no matter your intention, you would be dead in a matter of moments. Officers of the Command had no reservation in the mass slaughter of innocent lives.
The three of us knew exactly what we were getting into; we had accepted our possible fate as a consequence for lashing out directly against the source of mayhem that was now running our society. There was nothing more we could lose, we could fight for our freedom, or live and do so in constant fear. What more would there be to live for, if you could not live for yourself?


© 2013 Courtney


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

accession, Should that be Ascension ? Like to rise up, Not sure but I am really loving this story :) Keep going.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Courtney

11 Years Ago

Nope, :P It's accession which means to add something.. So basically saying the addtiition of.
.. read more
Jordan's Back

11 Years Ago

Oh okay, I didnt know the word, Thanks :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 10, 2013
Last Updated on January 10, 2013


Author

Courtney
Courtney

West Lafayette, IN



Writing
Distance Distance

A Poem by Courtney


Rise Again Rise Again

A Poem by Courtney