Never Say Die- Chapter 23

Never Say Die- Chapter 23

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield

 

Chapter 23
 
 
            When we had finished eating and were waiting for the first auction to start Armistead rushed up to the table and crouched beside me.
            “Can I talk to you in private for a minute?” He asked urgently and I nodded. Rhys looked up curiously as I stood up but I assured him that I’d be right back and he stayed where he was.
            Flan, keep him occupied will you please? I thought hurriedly as Armistead pulled me gently toward the door.
            “What is this all about?” I asked when we were finally outside and he let go of my arm.
            “Your demon is here.” He said bluntly and my mouth fell open in shock.
            “What?” I shrieked before my hand flew to my mouth
            “Now aren’t you glad I brought you out here to tell you?” I rolled my eyes but he had a point.     
            “Anyways, he’s here? In the gym?” I asked in disbelief. Armistead obviously had some kind of power to sense other demons that I didn’t.
            “Yes, I find myself pulled to his power, much like I was drawn to yours when we met, but whenever I get close he disappears into the crowd again. I’m not sure if he’s randomly possessing people or if he’s here in person but he’s going to be a problem tonight, I’m sorry.”
            Then something occurred to me and I narrowed my eyes at him, “How do I know it’s not you? That you’re not planning to try to kill all of these people here tonight?” the look on his face clearly showed that the idea had never crossed his mind, but then he could be a good actor if he needed to be.
            “Saydie, I would swear these words in front of the all powerful master himself, I promise you, I am not involved in this in any way.”
            “Still you have to admit it’s a little coincidental that you happened to show up so recently.” I pushed the issue.
            “Yes, I suppose it is but you know when you’re being lied to, what is your power telling you?” Sometimes it irritated me how he never seemed to get upset about anything; he just took it all in stride, calmly and collected.
            I did have to admit that there were no signs that he was lying, “Fine, if you’re not in on it then what do you propose we do?”
            “I think you need to go on with the night as normally as you possibly can, the humans need to be protected but remain oblivious. I get the feeling that he’s sending you a message though, he may wreak a little havoc here tonight but it’s just a warning that something much bigger is going to come later.” I groaned to myself knowing that he was probably right.
            Malcolm wasn’t exactly subtle about things and if he was here among the humans tonight then he’d probably lost his patience and gained one hell of a temper. “You should probably let the witches know as well.” He told me and I nodded, starting to walk back inside before I stopped dead in my tracks.
            “Witches?” I asked incredulously, turning back to face him, “There’s more than one here?” I gasped.
            “You didn’t know?” I stared at him dumbfounded, “I take that as a no. You’ve been hanging out with a coven all this time and had no idea? You really don’t use your powers do you?”
            “A coven?” I managed to choke out, ignoring his remark about my powers for the moment.
            “Are you kidding me? You’re the child of the almighty himself and you had no idea that you’d been spending your time with a coven of witches?” he demanded.
            “No.” I replied, a bit dazed. “I didn’t even know until recently that Flan was a witch, she put a spell on herself to hide it when I met her.”
            “Well there’s no spell on those witches, it’s not all of them but there’s a good majority, they’d be of some help to you if they’re even mediocre with their powers.”
            “Is Flan’s girlfriend one?” I asked with interest as a slow grin spread across my face.
            “The blonde? Of course she’s their high priestess!” he replied testily like it was completely obvious and I couldn’t help laughing out loud.
            He stared at me like I’d lost it while I stood there doubled over with laughter. “I fail to see what’s so funny. Innocent people could die tonight.” He said coldly.
            His words and their icy tone sobered me a bit more and I was able to stand straight again but still had the giggles, “Flan and I got into this big fight about telling Hadley and Rhys what we are and she fought a valiant fight against revealing her secret which I felt was far less formidable than mine, and now it turns out that Hadley is one too and neither of them knows? This is too good.”
            A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he saw the irony in the situation but it disappeared as quickly as it had shown up.
            “I suggest you go in there and take care of this as quickly as you can.” He said before strolling away toward the door. I followed suit but couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face as I headed back to our table.
            “Flan, Hadley can I talk to you both for a minute?” I said laying a hand on each of their shoulders and they both stood at the same time. My smile just kept tugging at the corner of my mouth as I led them toward the women’s room.
            “Saydie what’s going on?” Flan asked looking a bit worried as I swept the bathroom once to make sure nobody was in there with us before I locked the door.
            “The two of you have something that you need to tell each other.” I told them and they both looked at me as though I’d said something ridiculous.
            “What could we possibly need to say that we haven’t said already?” Hadley asked, sounding a bit annoyed, so I turned to Flan and decided to start with her.
            “Remember the big fight we got into with the fire and the blanket?” I hinted and she turned red in anger.
            “You wouldn’t dare! I thought you were supposed to be my best friend!”
            “Flan, listen to me, just tell her, it will be fine I promise.” I insisted.
            “What on earth is all of this about? Fire and blankets, is that some kind of code?” Hadley demanded.
            “If I tell her this Saydie I’m outing you with me.” Flan threatened.
            “She’s going to know anyway, Malcolm is here and it can’t be good.” I replied. Flan’s mouth fell open and a look of horror crossed her face.
            “What the hell is going on? And who is Malcolm?” Hadley demanded, grabbing Flan by the arms and turning her so that they were facing each other.
            Flan was so shocked at her action that she began to stammer, “I, I’m…” she looked at me desperate for help.
            So I turned to Hadley, “Hadley, you’ve been keeping a secret from Flan, tell her what it is.” She looked at me in disbelief.
            “How do you know I’m keeping a secret from her?” she started getting defensive and I was getting frustrated. Clearly neither of them was going to do this on their own.
            “You know what, fine if you two won’t just say it then I will. Hadley, I’m a demon, the daughter of the devil in fact, and Flan has known it from the very first time she met me. Now, do the two of you have any supernatural secrets you’d like to share with one another? Because I bet it’s the same one.” Flans head whipped around to face Hadley.
            “You’re a witch?” she demanded.
            “I’m a high priestess, are you a witch?” Hadley demanded back.
            “Are you kidding me?” Flan hooted and in the next instant her arms were around Hadley and they were lost in a kiss that definitely didn’t need any encouragement from me.
            I had to clear my throat after a few minutes though, “Guys, there’s a bit of a problem going on, I didn’t lock you in the bathroom to out you to each other for no reason.” They reluctantly let each other go and turned to face me, for a moment I was awed by the raw power I felt exuding from the two of them almost as though they were doubly powerful now that they’d shared the secret with each other.
            They both had a new look of importance to them somehow and the air was crackling with electricity, similar to the way it had when I’d first met Rhys and I couldn’t help wondering if that was what happened when a supernatural being found their other half.
            “There is a very powerful demon here tonight, I’m not sure if he’s taken on a human form or is just possessing random people but we all need to be on alert tonight and keep the mortals safe.” I had almost said humans but at this point it seemed more insulting considering who I was talking to.
            “Armistead is trying to help us as much as he can, he has a gift that gives him a feeling for where others demons are located in proximity to where he is. He told me that Malcolm keeps slipping through the cracks whenever he gets too close and that I should let you guys know. That’s how I found out about your coven Hadley, apparently he senses power as well, whether you want him to or not.”
            “Coven?” Flan turned to her in surprise.
            “I promise we’ll talk about all of this later okay? Right now it seems that we have a bigger problem to worry about.” She then turned to me, “How is it that you’re a demon who’s mixed up with humans, let alone witches?”
            “Long story short, I’m a disappointment to the demon ranks, my mother is human, my father is Satan, I was raised like a human and prefer to live as a human, my parents respect that, this demon obviously doesn’t, he’s pissed off because I rejected his marriage proposal and now I think he wants to kill me, Rhys and possibly all of you as well if he views you as a threat.” Hadley’s eyes widened in surprise and then her expression changed to fear as she thought things through.
            “If this demon is powerful enough to kill you, of all people, we will be nothing more than an annoyance to him, he could wipe us all out.” She wasn’t quite starting to panic yet but she was getting there.
            “Hadley, I’m not asking you to fight with me, I just thought you should know in case something happens here tonight. It was more beneficial to you both if you knew about each other in this case.”
            Flan turned to face Hadley and looked her very seriously in the eyes, “Saydie is my best friend and I’m going to fight beside her no matter what. If this demon can take out the second most potentially powerful demon in existence then there’s nothing to say that he would stop with her.” She said with warning in her voice. She was fighting with me to have my back as well as to ensure that her own life continued, if he destroyed me he’d surely destroy her and anyone else associated with me.
            “I understand, but whatever happens, know that I love you.” Hadley told her and that was my cue to unlock the door and step out to give them some privacy.
            The first round of auctions was in full swing by the time I sat back down and Rhys looked at me curiously. I just squeezed his hand and smiled at him.
            “Is everything alright?” he asked.
            “Everything is fine.” I lied smoothly and turned my attention to the stage as they auctioned off a few of the football players. The prices weren’t getting very high, just a couple hundred dollars at most and I mentioned it to Rhys later when we were dancing.
            “Not everybody can be as beautiful as you are, love.” He teased and I smiled.
            “It just seems like the bidding should be more interesting.” 
            “There will be plenty of time for interesting when you get up there in this outfit.” He replied, sliding his hands down my bare back and I laughed.
            The second round of auctions went better with some of our group in it, Hadley raised five thousand dollars that I’d be lending to Flan. Flan, Rhys and I were all in the last round, I wondered if he’d set it up that way because he knew we’d be bringing in the big bucks with my checkbook to back them.
            We all danced, laughed and acted like everything was normal while talking silently amongst ourselves. Armistead kept me updated on what was going on with Malcolm, he was fairly certain at this point that Malcolm was possessing random people and wasn’t there in person. Flan seemed to be too worried about what could possibly happen that evening to remember to be nervous about the auction.
            When the time finally came for the last round of auctions, Rhys smiled encouragingly at Flan and I.
            “Go knock them dead girls.” I smiled back and kissed him before he went up on stage, he was first in this round.
            The hoots started before he’d even reached center stage, I already knew that I had plenty of competition for this auction but none of them had my deep pockets.
            “I’ve got this one in the bag.” I said to Flan and she smiled.
            “I know you do. Thanks for helping with Hadley by the way; it really was easier than I thought it would be wasn’t it?”
            “Apparently so, but how is it that you didn’t know about her?”
            “We all have ways of protecting ourselves I guess, I’d done the same thing.” She chuckled to herself. They were definitely two of a kind and I hoped that when everything was said and done, they’d be happy together for a long time.
            The opening bid for Rhys was five hundred and I quickly countered at a thousand. He seemed to have attracted the attention of some of the sponsors’ wives and they were eating it up like candy as he flexed his muscles and winked at them.
            “Take it off!” I called to him and he gestured to the crowd to see if they thought he should. Catcalls and whistles went up all over the place as the women in the gym went wild; he handed his jacket to the Dean and then slowly unbuttoned his shirt to the delight of the ladies.
            I kept a steady stream of bids going when it slowed down a bit but it wasn’t long before he was over ten thousand dollars. I had noticed Veronica standing with Armistead and she’d waved over at us, Flan and I waved back politely, still not sure what to think about her new relationship but what I was watching for was her attention while Rhys was on the stage.
            She didn’t look up from her conversation with Armistead once until people started hooting and hollering at Rhys’s strip tease, she glanced at the stage with a smile but just moved closer to Armistead to continue talking. Not once did she bid or even seem all that interested in the fact that he was on the stage and I found that I was relieved that she finally seemed to have moved on.
            The bidding on Rhys slowed down around twenty thousand dollars and I was ready for it, the Dean called, “Going once…going twice…”
            Then I called out the closing bid, “Fifty thousand dollars!” I smiled in satisfaction as everyone turned to look at me but not a single person made a move to try to outbid me. Rhys smiled triumphantly as the bidding closed at fifty thousand and as he jumped down from the stage the crowd parted to let him through before he had swung me up into his arms and was kissing me.
            “You are absolutely amazing you know that?” he smiled down at me.
            “Tell her how amazing she is when she brings in over a million for herself, we’re having a bidding war pal.” Flan said from his side and I grinned at her as he finally set me down.
            “You’re on.” He said.
            “Don’t worry about the price you guys, just keep bidding until everyone else stops.” I added.
            Just then Hadley appeared, signaling to Flan that it was her turn to go up and all of that nervousness that the entire day had been designed to erase, rose to the surface as Hadley pulled on her arm. Flan froze in place staring at the stage as Hadley pulled on her, unmoving form.
            In a movement as quick as a flash, Rhys had swept her up into his arms and was carrying her up to the stage as she fought him the entire way. When they opened the bidding he stood right there with her, which I thought was sweet of him but I think it may have confused some of the bidders because old ladies started offering thousands of dollars for her but nobody felt the need to correct them, it was a charity auction after all. 
            Hadley smiled at me, “He sure does know how to charm a crowd.” She chuckled. He was up there acting like a show host, gesturing to Flan, making her giggle, and one could hardly fail to notice that he was still naked from the waist up.
            I smiled back, “Oh yes he does.” I said as I held my hand up to put in another bid.
            “I really hope you guys enjoy your date.” I said casually as the bidding went on.
            “What date?” Hadley asked curiously.
            “The one you’re going to go on when you win this auction.”
            “There’s no way I can win this auction with you as a bidder Saydie.” She laughed.
            “And you think that I’m going on a date with her if I win?” I turned to her and smiled.
            “Really? I get to go on the winning date with her? But why would you do that?”
            “Because you guys are my friends and you make each other happy, besides I live with her, what kind of date would that be? ‘Hey Flan did you remember to do the dishes before we left?’ Not really a good time.” I laughed and she joined in.
            “Well thanks Saydie, you’ve been a lot nicer than I could have ever expected from someone who has only known me a short time.”
            “No, I owe you thanks for coming up to dance with me at that club in Vegas. I’d have never found my place among humans if I hadn’t met you and your friends. You guys are like the family I never thought I could have.” The burning in my eyes was starting again and she was quick to fan me with her hands.           
            “Okay, no tears, no tears.” She said looking a little panicked, “Flan will murder me for making you cry just before your turn on stage.” I was blinking furiously trying to stop the tears before they spilled over.
            Finally we got it under control and Hadley took my hands in hers, “You are a part of our family now and we all love you so much. No matter what happens tonight or afterward with this crazy demon stalker of yours, just remember, in this family we never say die.”
            “Never say die.” I repeated and she wrapped her arms around me in a quick hug before stepping back to hold her hand up for another bid.
            Flan and Rhys were still up on stage being goofy, he would do a sexy dance behind her when she wasn’t looking, then the crowd would erupt with cheers and she would look behind her to see what was going on but he would just be standing there looking casual with a big grin on his face. They crowd was absolutely loving it and Flan’s numbers were up over fifty thousand already. The workers from the orphanage and the foster care program were watching in awe as the numbers kept rising.
            “One hundred thousand!” I called, grabbing Hadley’s hand and raising it high during a brief lull in the bidding which had slowed at seventy two thousand. Once again every head in the room turned to look in our direction; I pointed at Hadley to tell them that the bid was hers and she blushed a deep red but kept her hand up.
            They closed out the bidding at one hundred thousand dollars and Flan scrambled off the stage and into Hadley’s arms.
            “Thank you Saydie.” Hadley mouthed to me over her shoulder and I gave her a thumbs up before turning to run smack dab into the deliciously naked chest of my boyfriend.
            “Hey there beautiful.” He said, pulling me into the warm circle of his arms.
            “Hello tall, dark and half naked man.” I replied with a smile.
            “This is a really great thing you’re doing; we couldn’t hope to have made half the money that’s been brought in for our friends because of you. You’re going to be Todd’s new hero.” I smiled and kissed him.
            “I’m glad to be able to do it, it’s not like I’d ever spend all that money on myself, why not help out people who need it?”
            “That’s why you’re so amazing.” He said and pulled me close to him.
            Just then, out of nowhere, Armistead seemed to materialize at my side, “I need to talk to you.” he said quietly and I looked at Rhys apologetically again as Armistead pulled me away. Flan quickly caught him up in a conversation and he was forced to pay attention to her.
            Once again I found myself outside in a dark corner with him, “If we keep this up people are going to think we’re sneaking off to make out or something.” I teased.
            “It’s about you.” He said and I looked at him curiously.
            “What is?”
            “Malcolm is here for you, he’s possessing people to become the highest bidder so that he can get you alone.” Why hadn’t I seen that coming?
            “How do you know all this?”
            “I can read minds can’t you?” And why hadn’t I seen that coming either?
            “No I can’t.”
            “You kind of got the short end of the stick for powers considering who you are.” He said in his blunt way and I shrugged.
            “It’s not like I need or use them.” I threw back.
            “Anyway now you know what’s up, let the witches know okay? I’m going to enjoy the rest of my evening with my date while I can.” It was odd how he seemed to drawn to me and predetermined to help me but he was so detached at the same time.
            “Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.” I said and he bowed low to me.
            “Anything to help, princess.” I smiled as he disappeared into the darkness but then focused on the problem at hand. If the worst thing he did tonight was to possess someone to be the highest bidder then I’d take it and run with it, but I considered the precautions that could be taken to protect innocent people.
            I hurried back inside and unleashed my thoughts on Flan as quickly as I could, apparently Hadley could also hear me now as her head jerked in my direction the second I started communicating. Almost immediately I saw their lips moving as they began to cast spells over the crowd, if Malcolm was already possessing someone there wasn’t much else he would be able to do besides leave, if their magic was strong enough to protect everyone but there were only ten of them with powers, eleven if you included Flan and the room was full of hundreds of people.
            “Saydie what’s going on with you and Armistead?” Rhys asked me suddenly, startling me from my train of thought.
            “He’s just been having some problems with Veronica and wanted to talk to me about it since I sort of know how she is.” I lied, praying he’d accept the answer and let it go.
            “That’s really nice of you considering the way she treated you.” He finally said.
            “Well it was her doing that to me, not him, he shouldn’t suffer for her mistakes.” I defended him and Rhys nodded.
            “I suppose that’s true, you have such a big heart, that’s why I love you so much.”
            “No that’s why I love you so much.” I smiled at him.
            In the short span of that conversation, Flan and Hadley had informed every witch in the room of what was going on and they had apparently finished casting whatever protection they could over the guests. Now all we could do was wait and pray that nobody got hurt.
 


© 2009 C.I. Cofield


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
Added on May 19, 2009
Last Updated on May 19, 2009


Author

C.I. Cofield
C.I. Cofield

Puyallup, WA



About
I'm a stay at home mom, I've always liked to write but never wrote anything worth reading. I hated english and writing in school so my grammar is probably horrifying to an experienced writer lol. But .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield