Never Say Die- Chapter 26

Never Say Die- Chapter 26

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield

 

Chapter 26

 

 

 

            I opened my eyes to find that I was in my own bed, I could see the sunlight outside and knew that I'd been out for a long time, I turned over to find Flan laying next to me and my mother snoozing in a chair beside the bed. Flan opened her eyes immediately and gave me a scrutinizing look.

            “Are you alright?” she whispered and the nights events came flooding back to me, tears filled my eyes and I nodded silently. She pulled me close to her and held me as I cried into her shoulder, I was very confident that Rhys was gone and wasn't coming back.

            Then, from the corner of my eye, I saw my phone light up and picked it up to check the message. I slid it open, surprised to find that there were three new messages and they were the usual morning texts from Rhys and it read simply, “I love you.” more tears came to my eyes as Flan pulled the phone from my fingers but then sighed in relief as she read the message.

            Then something clicked in my head as I pulled the phone back to myself and looked over the text messages again, they had different dates on them.

            “Flan how long have I been out?” I demanded.

            “A few days, you remember what happened when you made my costume, this was way more power consuming than that was.” I nodded and laid back against my pillows again.

            I decided not to respond and just give him his space like he'd requested but I was touched that he still cared enough to make sure my day started out on a happy note.

            I started to sit up, suddenly realizing that I was still exhausted and very sore, I pulled up my shirt and looked at my stomach to find large, ugly bruises blossoming all over the place.

            “You took quite a beating darling.” I looked up to see that my mom had woken up and was watching me carefully. “Your father showed me everything just before we brought you home, Flannigan seemed to think that you'd be the most comfortable here.” she smiled and patted Flan's hand before turning back to me.

            “Would you like something to eat?” I nodded, realizing that I was starving after not eating in three days.

            “Then you just stay in bed and rest, Flannigan can stay and keep you company, I'll whip you up some French Toast.” I love my mommy I thought to myself, feeling like a well cared for child.

            Despite her order to stay in bed, I couldn't resist the temptation of a shower after being out for three days.. Slowly, I swung my legs over the side of the bed, feeling every ache and pain amplified now that I was really moving, my arms barely supported me as I pushed myself to stand and my legs weren't much better. Flan helped me to the bathroom and I sat on the toilet while she turned the shower on.

            Shortly after getting in I was grateful for the granite shower seat and took the opportunity to sit while I washed the blood and grime off of myself. Blushing and horribly embarrassed, I had to ask Flan to help me wash my back, the pain was nearly unbearable when I stretched too far.

            Finally I made it out of the shower and back into my bed, which Flan had stripped and remade while I was getting dressed, but not before taking a good look at myself in the full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door. I looked like one giant bruise, even my face was purple, yellow, red and swollen in places, I definitely looked like I'd been through hell and back, any normal person would have probably been in a body cast if they were even still alive after the night I'd had. But I couldn't help feeling a small twinge of pride that I had made it out alive, the victor and had kept my promise to protect Rhys, at least from death.

            My mom brought me my breakfast on a tray and as she entered the room I was surprised to find that my father was right behind her, carrying a tray for Flan.

            “Shouldn't you be at work?” I asked, taking him in for a moment, something about him just looked off to me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

            “I took the day off, I figured you needed me more than the rest of the world does today.” I grinned at him and dug into my food. I noticed that he watched me very carefully while I ate, taking in every wince and groan as I moved to make myself more comfortable.

            “How are you feeling today my dear?” He finally asked.

            “Like I've been hit by a train a few times.” I replied and they all laughed.

            “I didn't mean the pain dear, do you feel normal otherwise or different in any way?” he tried to sound casual about it but I understood what he was looking for.

            “I feel normal dad, I'm not any more demon than I've ever been.” I studied him for another moment and then realized what was different. He had pride radiating from him like a beacon, it was all over his face and in his smile, so much that he seemed like he might burst with it.

            “You may not believe me but I'm very glad to hear that, you took on more than I could have ever expected from you, that kind of crossover could have had permanently damaging effects to your way of life and yet you sit here completely un-fazed as though the incident never happened, aside from the aesthetics of course.” I rolled my eyes, of course. “Despite your humanity, you have shown yourself to be more powerful than I would have dared to hope you would ever be.”

            I thought this over for a moment, none of this power was of any use to me in my human life though. And then I thought, How much of this could actually cross over into my human life? The sight and hearing seemed to have stuck with me but at a reduced level which was still more than they had been before and much more advanced than any humans sight or hearing.

            I could still block out the thoughts of others but I let my guard down for the teeniest moment to test it out and the first thing I saw was myself coming at me from 3 different angles, well, un-bruised and happy. It was the dominant thought in all of their heads and I felt a wave of fondness for them wash over me.

            “You guys are really sweet.” My mom and Flan looked confused while my dad gave me a gentle smile.

            “We love you Saydie, and your well being is very important to all of us.”

            I smiled at all of them, “I love you guys too, thanks for being here to take care of me.”

            My father cleared his throat, “You can have that you know.” he nodded toward me and I saw myself, unharmed in his head again. I considered it for a moment but then decided against it, he raised an eyebrow at me as the decision formed in my head.

            “I went through a lot but I won, I came out of it with my life and the lives of my friends. Yes, the ending result hurts and isn't exactly pretty but it's a good reminder that I'm still human, even after all of that. Besides, I could use some time to just relax and worry about myself for a while.”

            “And you shall have it.” my father chimed in. “Anything you need just let us know and it will be provided.” We smiled at each other and I sat back against the pillows, I just wish Rhys was here.

Dad gave me a small, understanding smile, I knew It was the one thing he couldn’t give me, and then I thought of something.

            “Did you get Rhys's truck back to him?” I asked and he nodded, “Yes, I delivered it to him late last night.”

            “And Malcolm?” I was suddenly worried that he might come back from the “dead”.

            “Also taken care of, he is gone forever.” I sighed in relief watching in my head as my father burned Malcolm's remains, collected the ash in an urn and then returned them to the underworld for a proper memorial and disposal.

            I finished my breakfast and took a pain reliever my mother had gotten for me, I wasn’t sure if it would help much but it was worth a try. It did make me a bit sleepy so my mom and Flan left so I could rest but my dad stayed behind, I looked at him curiously as he came to sit beside me and took my hand.

            “I thought it was best that you see this without other company, just close your eyes and let it come to you like a dream while you rest.” he smiled and then as my eyes closed I realized that I was seeing him as he returned the truck to Rhys.

            He got out, locked it, walked up to Rhys's apartment and knocked on the door, when Rhys opened it he looked very tired, like he hadn't slept in days, not just the few been hours since I'd seen him last. He was dressed in flannel pajama pants and a grey U of Wharton t-shirt.

            “I brought you back your keys son.” I heard my dad say, holding them out and dropping them into Rhys's open hand.

            He stuffed both hands into his pockets “Thank you sir. Um, how is Saydie?”

            “She has a lot of healing to do, what she did tonight will affect her physically and mentally for quite a while I imagine.” my father replied.

            “Would you like to come in for a moment sir?” Rhys invited stepping back to allow my father to pass through the door.

            “That would be delightful, thank you.”

He walked down the short hall that led into the simple living room, settling himself on the couch while Rhys sat in a chair opposite him.

            “Can I offer you anything to drink?” Rhys offered and my father smiled at him, “Thank you, but after the night you've had I feel that it is I who should be offering you a drink.” My father conjured a bottle of scotch and 2 glasses that came to settle quietly on the coffee table before him, “If you could provide the ice that would be a great help.” Now it was Rhys's turn to smile as he picked up the glasses and went to the freezer.

            Then I could see the fight with Malcolm but the angle was different as my father invaded Rhys's thoughts, it was from behind a boulder watching my body fly into the air and crash back down to the ground, splitting the giant rock before me with a thunderous roar.

            I realized that I could also still see Rhys getting the ice and coming back to the living room with the glasses and placing them back on the table. The image of me slamming repeatedly into the ground seemed to be playing in his head over and over along with flashes here and there of me crashing into the stone walls.

            So he had been conscious for some of that. I thought, suddenly feeling sick seeing it from this angle and then his thoughts went black and the scene was once again just the two of them.

My father poured the scotch and handed Rhys a glass before they both settled back into their seats.

            “I imagine you have a lot of questions Mr. Davis and I hope that my presence doesn't intimidate you so much that you feel uncomfortable asking them.”

            “Of course not sir, it’s a lot to take in and I'm not sure that your position has quite sunk in yet.” Rhys answered honestly.

            “Good then let us pretend that we are just two human men, enjoying a drink and discussing your concerns over the nights events.” My father suggested and Rhys seemed to like that idea.

            Then a concerned look came across his face, “Will Saydie be in trouble for killing that guy?”

            My father shook his head, “Of course not, it was purely in self defense and considering the power that she came into last night, I hardly think anyone would dare to challenge her lest they meet the same fate.” he replied delightedly as Rhys let this information sink in.

            “She said that she lived her life too much as a human to be as powerful as he was, she didn't think she could win.”

            “And so she does, Saydie never relished the idea of being a demon, takes after her mother in that way, from the moment she changed she wanted nothing more than to be human and the more human you are the more your power is suppressed. It was pure coincidence that the job I most wanted to entrust her with allowed the both of us to indulge her wishes to live among mortals and didn't require many demon capabilities.”

            “So she hasn't always been like this?” Rhys raised an eyebrow.

            “Of course not, she was born and raised just like any other human, a very easy going child I must say, until she got into her teenage years. She had become very fond of a human boy and had been spending a lot of time with him until I forbid her to see him again. You see, it wouldn’t have been safe for him once she turned and I was hoping that it would happen quite soon.

            “She lost her temper, telling me that I was never around anyway and that I had no right to interfere with her personal life. She fervently insisted that she was an adult and there was nothing I could do to stop her. I felt bad that she was right about my absence but I was doing what I could to give her the human life her mother wanted for her.

            “I can only imagine that it’s affected our relationship to this day and could partially be why she’s not particularly close to either of us.” He dwelled on this for a moment and Rhys said nothing as he sipped his scotch. I felt a pang of guilt in my heart; that had never been why I didn’t spend that much time with them, had he really thought that all this time?

            “I was afraid that she was never going to change, there she was, fully grown at 19 and still nothing, she'd never been an overly emotional child, she handled most things with grace and acceptance, she was very much the lady that her mother had raised her to be and then that one day it was as though all of her passiveness had come to a head and she let it all out over this boy.” he chuckled again and Rhys joined him.

            Then Rhys became very serious, “I meant it when I said that I wasn't sure if I'm ready to accept the demon aspect of her life.”

            “That is quite understandable but I would also like you to consider that had it not been for her rejection of Malcolm's proposal, you may have never known at all. Did you ever doubt that she was human just like you, living her everyday life just like everyone else?”

            “No, but I always knew there was something different about her. I knew it the moment I laid eyes on her, it was like a shock in my heart and that was before I'd even touched her. Everything about her was different from other girls, the way she moved, walked, talked, her very presence just jumped out at me. I think I knew that very moment that I loved her.” he looked off at the wall thoughtfully and my father left his thoughts alone this time.

            “If you love her then you must decide whether or not it's worth it to you to take the good with the bad or walk away. I like you very much Rhys, but I cannot allow you to play games with my daughter, she deserves better than that after centuries of being alone. I do believe that she feels you are the man she's meant to be with forever.”

            “And there's one of my problems, she's immortal, if she can't die how does that work out? I would just keep getting older while she remains painfully beautiful and 19 years old until I'm gone?” he seemed angry now and I cringed slightly at the sight of him.

            “I will be honest with you, if you hadn't found out what she is, when she could no longer live in this place, she would have either had to leave you behind completely or let you in on her secret, if you accepted what she was and stayed with her, arrangements could have been made to ensure your continued relationship. Whether you accept her or not, she'd still have to leave with or without you.”

            Rhys looked torn and sank back into his seat almost as if his spine had refused to support him any longer, “She could have left me?

            “Well of course, you would have suspected that she wasn't aging if she didn't.” my father replied as if his answer had been obvious. “Is my daughter worth it to you to spend every day of forever with her?”

            Rhys answered without hesitation, “Of course she is...” then he trailed off.

            “But?”

            “It's kind of scary you know? The ruler of hell is live and in person here in my living room, clearing up some serious religious issues I've had by the way, I’m dating your daughter who now has unlimited power, if things were to end badly between Saydie and I would you just dispose of me?”

            My father chuckled again, “Of course not dear boy, while this is a new situation to all of us, having my daughter dating, you shouldn't expect anything from me that you wouldn't expect from a human father.”

            Rhys smiled a crooked smile, “A human father wouldn't have shared the memory of the first time his daughter turned into a demon.”

            “Point well taken but aside from a few demon quirks, all of which you didn't know about anyway, mind you, she's still the same girl you fell in love with and I am fairly confident that she will still attempt to continue to be that same person, human and against all things evil, present company excluded.” he smiled, took a sip of his scotch and continued.

            “You may also want to consider that she gave in to a part of herself she does everything possible to suppress, in order to save your life. I'm sure it went against everything she despises but for you she did it, she found love for you even in her darkest moments, when she was turned into something that she hated, she still cared enough to save you. Many half-demons who went through such a powerful and sudden change would have turned on you and killed you. There's still humanity there, even as her full demon self, that says a lot in my opinion and speaks very highly of you.”

            Rhys sighed in frustration “I just don't ever want to see her like that again, it makes me sick to think that she could be something so terrifying and...and a killer.” Rhys struggled to find the right words, fear crossing his face again.

            “Sir, you have to understand that I was brought up in a way that views men as protectors of women, they should be cared for and kept safe from the world's evils. How can I do all that when she is the world's evil?”

            My father suddenly looked highly offended, “My daughter is a wonderful person and despite my disappointment that she has not chosen to follow in my footsteps I can hardly ignore the fact that she is an extraordinary human being, turning her back on her true calling takes great strength, ambition and patience, to say nothing of the life of solitude she’s led until now to remain inconspicuous until it’s time to move on. Then to embrace evil for the sake of maintaining her humanity and keeping you alive? You should be ashamed to speak such words about someone who loves you so deeply that even the most powerful evil could not penetrate her heart. The world's evil indeed.” My father huffed and returned to his drink.

            “Life of solitude? What do you mean? She has Flan and me...” he trailed off as if something suddenly made sense.

            “And yet you never realized that she has no other close friends, neither did you notice that she struggled with your wishes for her to make the acquaintance of your own friends but in the end she did it for you. She’s actually made a surprising number of friends since she met you but still nobody who could ever be anywhere near as close to her as you and Flannigan are. Even after the incident at the river with your teammate, she still reached out beyond what she'd ever thought to be possible for herself and found a place among your friends while making new friends of her own.

            “People really do come into one's life for a reason, she needed you both and so she accepted you both into her life without really knowing why. Flannigan, because they could eventually be great friends without hiding their secrets from each other and you because you belong together, no two people could be more perfect for one another as you are.

            “Two hundred years is a long time to wander alone from place to place avoiding the detection of immortality, not getting too close to any person and now she has found two people who make her truly happy and allow her to be more human than she ever thought possible.” Rhys looked slightly ashamed now and stared at the floor.

            “If she works for you then she'll have to turn evil again won't she?” He seemed to be slightly curious now.

            “She has never turned as much as she did last night for any other purpose. She remains as human as possible when she works unless the contract holder becomes a serious problem which has still never been an issue. That is why the job is perfect for her, it requires minimal change for her to complete her tasks. But considering the time that eternity would give you with her, the portions in which she would use her demon abilities seem relatively small and insignificant in comparison.”

            Rhys nodded and seemed to mull over this information as he took a sip of his scotch, “I was scared and being selfish, I see that now, I was only thinking about the effect it would have on me but I realize now that this effects Saydie too, much more than I would have imagined.” he paused and took a deep breath, “I love your daughter sir, more than my own life and despite her uh, differences I don't want to leave her, I just don't know how to accept her.” he finished weakly and looked deeply ashamed of himself as he continued to stare at the floor.

            “I think that if you just start by spending time with her, you'll figure it out. She hasn't changed as much as you fear she has.” My father responded encouragingly.

            “It hurts to be unsure of her.” Rhys whispered, “It always scared me a little that our bond was so strong from the first second I met her, that was it. I knew she was the one like a light bulb had come on in my head or like I'd found part of myself that I hadn't known was missing. I was always so confident in our relationship, I had no doubt that we belonged together. I had this overwhelming desire to know everything about her as quickly as possible so that I could be closer to her and when she's near me I feel almost like I want to pull her into me, to be one person with her, to protect her...but then I guess she doesn't need protecting from anyone now.”

            “Do you still feel like you found part of yourself now that your desire to know everything about her has been fulfilled and there are no longer any secrets between you?” My father inquired casually.

            Rhys thought for a split second and then looked triumphant, “Yes I do, I never doubted that part, I never doubted her for that matter, it's myself that I don't trust. After everything that happened I didn't know if I was strong enough for all this and honestly I'm still not sure.” the truth in his words was written all over his face.

            “Just take some time to think it over, I don't think the two of you will ever have to go through anything worse than what you've already experienced, you could get back to living normal, happy, human lives.” My father said reassuringly.

            “Thank you sir, I'll do that.” Rhys said as my father set his glass down and stood to shake his hand.

            “I'm glad to hear it. I must be off though, I'm sure you're very tired and I need to check on Saydie.”

            “Tell her that I love her please and that I'm sorry I left the way I did.” Rhys asked and my father nodded.

            “Keep the scotch, you need it more than I do.” he said with a wink and then was gone in a flash of flame, the memory went dark and then came back to the present.

            I opened my eyes to look at my dad and realized that I was crying, “Thank you dad.” was all I could say. He'd done more for me than I would have ever asked of him.

            “You're welcome my darling, you get some rest now, we can talk later when you're feeling more up to it.”

            I nodded and then another thought came to me, “Hey dad?”

            He stopped in the doorway and turned to face me, “Yes darling?”

            “Remember the day you guys came over for dinner because you wanted to know what was special about him?”

            “Of course my dear, why?” He asked, as if he didn't see it coming.

            “What is it? You never told me.”

            “Oh! Well, It's simple really, he loves you.”

            “I knew that already.”

            “Well that's what makes him so special, he loves you so deeply, so much more completely than many humans are even able to comprehend.”

            “So his ability to love me makes him special?”

            “The fact that he loves you the way he does makes him special, he has more love than any human has ever had for a demon. Perhaps with the exception of your mother.” He smiled and I smiled back as one last thought came to me.

            “Have you really thought all these years that I wasn’t close to you because of that boy?”

            “Was that not the reason?” he inquired.

            “No daddy, I never held that against you, I understood your reasoning as soon as I’d changed.” I felt tears in my eyes and the drugs were pulling me into unconsciousness but I fought to finish what I had to say. “I only keep my distance because of what it does to me to spend too much time with you. It’s never been anything personal, I’ve just been trying to be human.”

            “Thank you for letting me know darling, perhaps we can find a way to remedy that now that I know.” He smiled gently and kissed my forehead as I closed my eyes again and let myself drift off to sleep dreaming of Rhys and how much I wished he was there with his arms around me.

 



© 2009 C.I. Cofield


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on May 19, 2009
Last Updated on May 19, 2009


Author

C.I. Cofield
C.I. Cofield

Puyallup, WA



About
I'm a stay at home mom, I've always liked to write but never wrote anything worth reading. I hated english and writing in school so my grammar is probably horrifying to an experienced writer lol. But .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by C.I. Cofield