fight at home

fight at home

A Story by Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

Cary Ann held her hand out to steady herself against the rush of new emotions that threaten her hard won resilience. Hours she had spent sitting, staring, stating over and over again that she was okay, that he was gone, that they were no more. She would gingerly touch the place their love once took seed and again she would be cut with the exquisite blade of grief again. Opening a wound that she would spend the next 12 months sewing close again and again only to give up and cement over that sore. Now he stood in fount of her, her resolve crumbling, her heart, betraying the year of training, began to beat faster. Hope, that four letter word, filled her senses and deadened her determination.  Her hand out held was the only thing protecting her from his body as he leaned in for a not entirely unwelcome hug.

                A tug a war of sorts between her willpower and the carnal need to rush in to his familiar arms, burry herself in his musk and let the dam of the past year rush out and drown them both in her sorrow. His flawed smile dimmed and he looked older, despite his attempt to shave and shower the wild in his stature hovered around the edges just out of sight. She wanted to scream “Where were you?” But this she knew, in a conflict torn fields, helping others, supporting others. She was left to pick up the pieces while his grief was consummated with bullets and hers with sutures. Cold and empty like the ring on her finger she fought at home, dodging glances and side stepping missile question aimed to target and kill. She put on her uniform every day with a stoic smile and hardened eyes. She survived, and here he stood, threatening to tear down all she had built, all she had made. She did not know if she could, if she dare. Uncertain if the cracking she felt was her heart finally settling in for the winter life or if it was his first attempt at her walls. Slowly, cautiously she withdrew her hand, and its protection and he rushed in, like an EMT his hug checked her pulse and his kiss her vitals. Stiff and unforgiving her mind withheld anything but the physical. Her body played out what it’s had rehearsed since his departure. He had just returned home, but for her that journey had just begun, still fuzzy and distance she could now make out a faint road, dare she walk on or should she stand still. After all immobility did have its advantages, is she didn’t walk, she could fall, and despite what the motivation poster spouted standing still felt good. Standing still might be the opposite of winning but then again it was also the opposite of losing too. If the past year of trenches taught her anything, if you’re not losing that’s close enough to winning for her. 

© 2015 Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham


Author's Note

Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham
This is my first short story. Dont hold back. let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Unlike your character you were not holding back. Lovely short piece. The range of emotion and the rich description is remarkable

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
A cascade of darkness punctuated with beams of bright light, this piece evokes sadness and hope intertwined...glass half empty AND half full. That's not an easy dichotomy to illustrate. That is what makes this piece so solid and remarkable. And then it lands in my library favorites, and I thank you for that! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I wanted there to be hope in this too. I needed her to be unyielding but not untouched by.. read more
It is a sad write filled with emotions but with that you made that emotional connection to the reader that made it good and made it worth reading. Good work Crystal I enjoyed it :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I was trying to make that connection so i am happy that it came through
Sad! expressed very well though.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

8 Years Ago

yeah, its sad for sure, sorry for that. I like to play with emotions and put my characters in situat.. read more
Robert

8 Years Ago

Sad is ok, so don't be sorry for that. It was good.
Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

8 Years Ago

thanks. Its just that i feel like most of stuff is sad and i am truly a really happy human. Lol mayb.. read more
Vary nice story!
Well done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

8 Years Ago

Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 3, 2015
Last Updated on June 4, 2015

Author

Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham
Crystal Overmeyer-Birmingham

About
I am a poet by nature. Words just speak to me and color my world. I away think of poetry as painting with phases, just as vibrant and life giving as they are messy and complex. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blessed son Blessed son

A Poem by armin