Chapter 1: David's Point of View

Chapter 1: David's Point of View

A Chapter by Erin
"

We meet some of the characters, find out a little bit of their pasts. It starts off boring, I know. This is the point where I had no passion for what I was writing. But keep reading; it gets better!

"

2009: Freshman Year

 

Chapter 1: Davids Point of View

 

September 7th, 2009. The first day of high school. For most, this is a time of stress, wondering about if you’ll fit in, if your grades might drop, or if you’ll make the sports team. To be honest, I was thinking of none of this.

“Ah, the first day of school.” I said to my friend Rick, who slumped along beside me. “Aren’t you glad to finally be here? Finally not a middle schooler?”

Rick shrugged. “Whatever.”

I faced him seriously. “Aw, come on. Is this still about Katie?”

He didn’t reply.

“You need to forget about her, man. I mean sure, she’s pretty, but she really wasn’t all that nice.”

He laughed sarcastically. “Oh, she’s more than pretty. She’s one of the hottest girls at school…and I was her boyfriend.”

“Hey, don’t be so gloomy about it. There’ll always be someone else.”

Again, I received no reply. We headed into Science, which was 1st hour for both of us. I recognized a lot of the faces who were already in the room, and this made me feel a little more ready for starting my freshman year. Rick and I sat together, as we spotted out who we knew from middle school. To my disappointment, I saw Darryl, and Allen too. I felt guilty for thinking badly of Allen. Hey, we were friends before. People change though. I reminded myself. 

Allen and I had been friends since 5th grade, ever since we were partners in the science fair. He had pretty much held the best friend title ever since. That is, until this summer. I joined the football team, hoping to become a little more athletic, but getting something else instead: a new life. I met Rick, along with the whole crowd of football jocks. I had barely talked to Allen since then, and was dreading the moment this would come up between us. It was obvious he was not happy about my change.

I’m just sick of being a nerd. I told myself. Allen should understand that.

Somehow though, I couldn’t push away that guilty feeling. Still, I wasn’t the only one with unwanted classmates. I noticed Rick staring longingly at Katie. Finally, the bell rang, and class began.

This is it, I thought happily. My first day in high school.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

The day moved slowly, and already I could feel myself tiring from being back in school. But when the lunch bell rang, I felt myself growing excited to see how lunch went on. Were the rumors I had heard about the food true? Where would I sit?

I met up with Rick at my locker, and we walked to the lunchroom together.

“So,” I began, “do you know where we’re sitting?”

He nodded. “I had Jake go in and get us a table ahead of time. We’ll just look for him.”

We were soon at the cafeteria, where I scanned the room quickly. I noticed from the size of the lunch line, the food couldn’t be as bad as I had heard. It looked like half of the school was waiting in that line. Good thing I brought my lunch, I thought gratefully.

Rick seemed to be thinking the same thing. “I feel sorry for the guys in the back of that line.”

I laughed. “Let’s go find Jake.”

We found him quickly, and luckily there were still some seats left for us. Rick and I sat down and looked around. Jake was already in the middle of talking with someone I didn’t recognize, so I began eating.

Rick was absentmindedly twirling his fork in his pudding, staring blankly.

“Rick?”

He didn’t look up. “Hmm?”

I sighed. Come on, cheer up. It’s depressing seeing you like this.”

He shook his head. “I’m fine.”

I didn’t know what to say. Before I could respond, Darryl came over to our table.

“Hey, guys.” He greeted. “Mind if I squeeze in?”

Jake nodded. “Go ahead.”

He made his way through the chairs, and sat in the seat right next to me.

“Oh hi Darryl…” I mumbled as I moved my chair over for him. I glared at Rick, who shrugged.

Darryl turned to me. “Hey Dave! How’ve you been, man?” He patted me on the back, a little too hard. 

I tried to ignore this.” I’ve been good…”

Luckily, Darryl was already busy with talking to other people. “Okay, so I just saw Katie in the lunch line. I dunno about you guys, but I’d have to say she’s the hottest girl in the school.”

Jake was nodding vigorously. “Oh, I know! I wonder who she likes.”

Darryl was staring at Jake. “Wait…you don’t…like…do you?”

Jake shrugged. “I’m just saying she’s really hot. It’s not like I’m in love with her or anything.”

Darryl snorted. “Well, I think my goal this year will be to get Katie to be my girlfriend.”

“I don’t know about that guys…” Rick warned seriously. “I mean, Katie and I went out for almost 6 months. Sure, she’s attractive…but I’d be careful if I were you.”

Jake was nodding. “Hey, David, you’re pretty silent over there. Any girl catching your eye?”

I shrugged. “It’s the first day, guys.”

Darryl seemed surprised. “So you don’t think anything of Katie?”

“There’s more to a girl than looks, Darryl.” I responded coldly. “But no, I’m content being single. For now, at least.”

This seemed to satisfy them. The talk went from girls to football practice, and I soon became bored. I stood up to throw away my lunch bag, and I walked by Allen’s table.

“Hey David!” Allen called. “Over here!”

I threw away my trash and walked over. “Hey Allen. I haven’t talked to you in a while.”

He smiled and motioned to the chair across from him. “Come on and take a seat.”

“Well, I would, but-“

“David!”

I turned to see Rick waving me over.

“We need your opinion on something!”

“Hold on!” I called back. To Allen, I said, “I’m really sorry, but Rick and the gang are waiting for me.”

“Oh I get it. You have your new friends now.” He sighed. “Well, have fun.”

“Allen…”

“Hey, don’t worry about me. I’m perfectly fine sitting by myself. Go sit with the jocks,  I understand.”

I sighed. “It’s not like that. It’s just-“

“David! Hurry up!” Darryl called impatiently.

“I gotta go.” I explained quickly. “Sorry.”

As I headed back to my table, I thought about how much things change. Allen really shouldn’t be mad at me for making new friends…I thought. Still, I remembered how we had always talked down on the jocks. I guess it had come across as betrayal.

I reached the table and quickly forgot about Allen and I. People change, I told myself. That was the last I thought about Allen and I for the rest of the day.



© 2011 Erin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on November 7, 2011
Last Updated on November 7, 2011


Author

Erin
Erin

Livonia, MI



About
I'm a sophomore in high school who has loved writing since 2nd grade. Lately, I've been working one story on particular, but for now I'll be posting short stories. more..

Writing