Chapter 6: Sean's Point of View

Chapter 6: Sean's Point of View

A Chapter by Erin
"

We see Sean's home life, and that's about it. His dad is a jerk.

"

Chapter 6: Sean’s Point of View

 

As I hurried home, I checked my cell phone nervously. It was almost six already. Not good. I got to my house, and noticed my heart was beating quickly as I walked up to our porch. Maybe Dad’s still out, I thought. Besides, why should he care that I have a life?

I opened the door quietly, and tried to creep in without anyone noticing. Maybe they hadn’t even noticed I was gone. It was a slim chance though. I could hear shouting in the living room, which made my heart drop. He was home, which meant he knew I had been out. If I could just get up the steps without them seeing me, maybe I could avoid this fight.

I walked slowly to the stairs, and began the slow ascent to my room. However, I had forgotten to be extra careful on the fourth step. The step made a loud creak, and I heard my dad stop talking. There was a silence as I held my breath. Then:

“Sean?”

I stayed perfectly still, hoping that he would just go back to yelling at my mom for something that was probably all his fault. Story of my life.

I heard his steps getting closer, so I said, “Yeah, it’s me.”

He stopped at the bottom of the stairs, and looked up at me. “Sean, where have you been?”

I hesitated, deciding over whether I should lie or just tell him the truth. Usually he saw through my lies, but every now and then I got lucky. If he did believe me, I could go up to my room and try to ignore everything happening downstairs. But if he knew I was lying, I’d be in even more trouble.

I decided to just tell him the truth. “I was at Elliot’s house.”

He swore. “You went to Elliot’s house even though you know you’re not allowed to?”

I nodded.

I could see his face turning red, like it always did before he yelled. “You know you’re supposed to come home straight after school, Sean. The jury said so.”

“I know, Dad. I was there.” I replied quietly.

He came a step closer, making me feel uneasy. “If you don’t give me a good reason why you were out, I’m going to have to tell them.”

I couldn’t keep it in any longer. “But you know it shouldn’t be me who’s under house arrest! It’s all your fault, and you know it!”

This earned me a smack to the face. “Shut up!”

The blow sent a shock of pain across my face. I clutched my cheek and looked at him.

“You shut your mouth Sean, or I’ll do worse. I don’t want you to say a word of this to anybody, you hear?”

I just couldn’t do that. “You’re a liar! I can call the cops on you too, you know!”

I saw the rage in his eyes. Swearing, he grabbed me by the neck, and pulled me off the step I was on, causing me to fall down the stairs.

“Why, you little-“

“Randy!” It was my mom’s voice.

We both turned to see my mother, standing at the doorway, looking terrified­. She looked at me with panic in her eyes, then said to my dad, “Um…dinner’s ready.”

I knew this was her way of trying to make him calm down. I had never seen her actually tell him to stop, call the police on him, or anything like that.

My dad turned back to me, and grunted. “Go to your room.”

This time I obeyed. Holding my cheek, I staggered to my feet and climbed back up the stairs. I could hear her talking to him as if nothing had happened, and anger filled my heart. Never would I be able to understand why she hadn’t divorced him. I hated her for being a coward like that, but in some ways I understood. If she rebelled, she would be on the floor just as often as I was.



© 2011 Erin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on November 7, 2011
Last Updated on November 7, 2011


Author

Erin
Erin

Livonia, MI



About
I'm a sophomore in high school who has loved writing since 2nd grade. Lately, I've been working one story on particular, but for now I'll be posting short stories. more..

Writing