Part 1

Part 1

A Chapter by Danav

I was standing there in my black raincoat hugging it tightly around me. My hands where freezing and my shoes were soaked with water. My brown hair was wet from the pouring rain and my locks were all over my face. Still I was in a good mood. It didn't matter that the taxi was twenty minutes late or that I had traveled all day to get to here, I was almost there. Two months ago I would have never imagined myself moving to England, especially to a small fishing village. Port Isaac is as small as a fishing village can get, but surprisingly it had many jobs. I had graduated from High School two months earlier in June in Sweden. Since my school was an international school and English was the main language I spoke the language excellent. That was one of the main reasons why I decided to come to England. The second reason was that I don't know what I am going to do with my life. Well, I know that I am going to study medicine or engineering, but I am not sure yet so I decided to take a year off and work instead. My parents were horrified when I told them about me going to England, especially when they got to know that it was to a small village. At first they strictly forbid me to go, refused to even hear me out. I had to remind them that I was not a child anymore being 19 years old. After a few weeks they finally came around but they still did not like the idea of me going and leaving them.

I had to fly for a couple of hours, take the train for another two hours and then the bus for half an hour to get there. Last was the taxi ride to the place where I was living. A few minutes later the taxi arrived. "Are you Leonore?" the driver asked. "Leonora" I corrected him. "And yes that's me, I've been waiting here for a while" I explained. The driver, a man in his yearly forties, apologized several times for being late and helped me getting my bags in the car. Since it was dark and raining I could not se anything of the village I was going to live in, but I had time to explore the place since I didn't start my new job for another two days. We arrived to the place where I was living ten minutes later and my excitement was getting the best of me. I was living in a small cottage since I really could not afford anything fancier. The driver helped me get my bags out and I paid him with my last pounds. The grey cottage was bigger than I thought and had a small porch which I loved. As I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised by the space. I thought it was going to be a lot smaller. It was really cozy with a fireplace and dark grey sofas. There where pillows everywhere and a big TV covered a part of a wall. The walls were dark brown except from one wall that was covered in bricks. The kitchen was not big and not very modern but the white color gave it an airy feeling. It had one bedroom with a bed far too big for me and one small bathroom. In other words; it was perfect.

After sleeping for almost 10 hours I made a small breakfast of the groceries the owners had left for me. I cleaned for almost two hours, from the cabinets in the kitchen to the corners of the ceiling and the place started looking like a place like home. I did not have a car so I was very happy to see that the owner had left a bike for me to borrow. Getting outside I could only see a green forest surrounding the cottage. The leafs had just started to change color indicating that the autum was near by. I followed the only road leading from the cottage and arrived to the village several minutes later. I was out of breath from riding the bike and my cheeks were burning red. It was very beautiful with small colorful buildings lying on the hills. The view was amazing with the ocean crashing into the rocks. It looked like the sorroundings of a Nicholas Sparks movie. I was suprised since I had a different Vision of England. There were two buildings who were much bigger than the rest and one of them had a big sign reading "grocery store". I entered the small store and bought enough groceries for a couple of days. My phone was not working and I really had to call my parents to reassure them that I was still alive. Across from the store was a post office so I decided to ask if I could borrow their phone.

As I pushed the door and a bell started ringing. The smell of paper and nicotine was inevatible but suprisingly pleasant. The lady behind the counter was in her late fifties with glasses and she greetet me with a smile. "Hi, I was wondering if I could use the phone here since mine isn't working?" I asked. "Of course dear, here you go". She smiled and handed me a white phone and I thanked her. I took a seat with my back facing the counter. My conversation with my parents lasted for ten minutes and I had to reassure them about 20 times that I did not regret my decision. When I was finished I heard that there were voices talking. Someone else had entered the office. As I turned around I could se the lady behind the counter was having a conversation with a tall man. I could only see his black suit trousers and his black jacket from behind. Their conversation was very low so it was hard for me to hear what they where saying. The woman's smile was replaced with what looked like frustration. The man turned around and my jaw dropped. I quickly closed my mouth. He was not old, maybe four years older than me. His dark hair was short with a few curls. His skin was tan, as if he had just spent a copule of months in the Maldives. His mouth was full with plump lips and a unusual shade of pink. But the best part was his eyes who had the color green mixed with blue. He looked annoyed, mad even, as he walked pass my without giving me a glance. His elbow brushed my arm for a split second and I felt something I've never experienced before. It felt as if electricity was running through my body but without pain. My emotions were all over the place and was angry even though I had no reason to be. As fast as the feeling came it also disappeared within the second. He pulled the door open and left me and the woman to turn our heads and watch him leave. "Thank you for letting me use the phone" I managed to say. She just smiled at me and I turned around and left the building while trying to comprehend what just happened.


© 2018 Danav


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 29, 2018
Last Updated on January 29, 2018


Author

Danav
Danav

Sweden



Writing
Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Danav


Part 3 Part 3

A Chapter by Danav


Part 4 Part 4

A Chapter by Danav