The Prologue

The Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Harris

The First

EPISODE ONE: REALITY SHIFT

The Prologue

“That’s what I remember: the eyes. It’s always the eyes that scar you the most, and for every soul I feel them watching me. Waiting. I’m yet to work out what they’re waiting for, though.

“When I shift, I become the person. But it still feels alien to me, as if I’m an outsider to my own body. Eventually that feeling grew. Now I can’t tell the difference, whether I look like myself or not. I’ve forgotten what it’s like to be myself.”

He’s only sitting a few feet from me, but when our eyes meet it feels like miles. He looks back at the sea, lips pouted. Though he has short hair, I can see the wind through it. Passing him as if he shouldn’t be there. But mine isn’t moving.

“Do you want to be yourself?” I edge closer to him. His jaw clenches �" I see it in the glow of the streetlight �" but I find his hand and cup it. A few seconds pass before he looks at me again.

“Why aren’t you afraid of me?”

“Because I know you won’t hurt me.”

He pauses, and I almost see his lips curl, then he turns back to the waves. His face is vacant again, like he’s waiting for me to say something. But I’ve said all I need to.

“Take it then, if you’re so sure.”

He doesn’t move, or even glance at me from the corner of his eye, but I know what he means. A desire floods in me suddenly, drowning my good sense, and I find myself gravitating towards his neck. I’m slow, but assured, and without once looking away from him I find the clasp of his locket.

My heart beats faster.

I unhook it, but pause. He still hasn’t moved, not even his hands, and he’s rigid. This close I can hear his breath, which has sped up despite the ease in his face. He’s trying to hide it, but I’m too close to him.

“Why have you asked me to do it?” I re-hook the clasp, but I don’t pull back. My hands fall to his shoulders, which have relaxed.

“To see if you’ll do it,” he replies, angling his face to me. His eyes are intense, but also soft. Wounded.

“But you’re afraid.”

“That’s why you have to do it.”

Our noses are millimetres from each other, and yet I feel comfort. Returning my fingers to his necklace, I find the clasp, unhook it, and lower the locket to his palm. He clutches it, and looks down, staring at the black and white photograph which the locket held inside. A child, with his parents.

“This boy had a family. That’s why I kept it.” He looks back at me, and reaches for my hand. Unblinking. “This is yours now.”

Gazing down I examine the photograph, which he places in my palm. The family are wearing very old attire, suggestive of nineteenth century. The boy in the middle is around eight, and his smile is wide. My smile is too.

“Thank you,” I say, as I look up. But I don’t see him anymore. Just a light, that glitters…shimmering within his clothes.



© 2015 Daniel Harris


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found you one of the review forums. I have to say I found absolutely nothing to complain about. To put it simply I came here imagining myself as a critic in some ways, and am leaving a fan. Your prologue is gripping and leaves the reader seeking more, and you used just enough detail! I'm super excited to read more.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 19, 2015
Last Updated on August 19, 2015


Author

Daniel Harris
Daniel Harris

United Kingdom



About
I am twenty years of age and have a big passion for both acting and writing - particularly science fiction and dystopias when concerning writing. Currently I have written two novels which were inspire.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Daniel Harris


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Daniel Harris