Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Destiny Glenn

Chapter One


            Gaining cautiousness, I realize I’m on a white tiled floor, staring at a bright white wall. A wall so bright, it gives me a migraine. As I proceed to get up, it’s becomes obvious to me that the entire room is white, and completely empty. There’s absolutely nothing but giant lights on the ceiling. As I scan the room some more, I notice a drainer in the center of the floor.

            I start to walk around the room, pushing on walls thinking there has to be an opening somewhere; just anything to exit this room. I hear a noise and turn to my left. A white woman with brown hair, wearing white scrubs, opens the door and walks in.

            “Natalie,” she says.

            “Yes?” I reply, thinking if I just cooperate she won’t hurt me.

            “May I ask you a few questions?”

            “I don’t know. Will these questions determine whether you will let me go or not?”

            Leaning on the wall right in front of me, ignoring the question, she asks, “Do you remember what happened before you woke up here?”

            “Uh, yea. I’m pretty sure you or whoever you’re working for erased my memory. So when I woke up the first time, I wouldn’t know who I was.” I say sternly, watching her write everything I just said, word for word, on a sheet of paper that’s clipped onto a white clipboard.

            “Actually, you crashed a stolen car, trying to escape from where we placed you.”

            “So that’s why I’m here?”

            “No, your owner didn’t want you anymore. That’s why you’re here.” She nods and smiles. “What are you thinking at this exact moment, Natalie?”

            “I want out.”

            She giggles. “Oh, Natalie. If only that were possible.” She begins to walk towards the wall where the opening she had come through was. “Someone will be in here shortly to move you to your correct unit.” A door opens and she walks out.

After one hour of trying to open the area of where the door seemed to be, I sit down in the far right corner of the room. Thirty minutes after that, a black man also in white scrubs comes in.

“It’s time to move you to Unit 3 ma’am.” He announces.

            I get up and walk toward him. As I follow him down the hallway and take a left, I realize the whole building is white.

“I feel like I’m in a crazy house.” I say to myself.

We arrive to these double doors that have black bold letters above it that reads: UNIT 3. I look over and see the guy typing in a code in a keypad that’s next to the door. The doors open and I continue to follow him down this long hallway lined with doors. The doors had numbers and above them, an assortment of names. Finally, after walking passed over 300 doors, we stop at door 363. This one doesn’t have a name above it.

            “This will be where you stay. Please shower and dress yourself with the clothes provided for you. They’re place on the end of the bed. I’ll be back in forty-five minutes to walk you down to the cafeteria for supper.”

            “Wait!” I shout.

            “Yes ma’am.” He responds with his hands behind his back.

            “Do you know why I’m here?”

            “In Unit 3?” He raises his eyebrows, “No.” He leaves the room.

            I begin scanning the room. Why white? Do they want me to feel crazy? More than I already do? This color isn’t really helping. I’m really starting to feel like it because I’m not in my right mind. I mean, what if I don’t remember anything about who I am because I had a psychotic break? Some people can suffer memory loss after having psychotic breaks, right? I just don’t feel"I don’t know"I wouldn’t say sane. Even though, it’s completely true. I don’t feel sane. But, I don’t feel right. Yea, it’s that I don’t feel right. Nothing feels right. Not even breathing feels right.

There’s a full sized bed placed in the top center of the room and drawers directly lined in front of it; no windows. I glance around a little bit more and spot the bathroom.

After taking a shower, I grab the clothes off the bed. I pick up a pair of white slacks, sneakers, and a T-shirt. As I put them on I realize I’m cold, again. I sit on the bed and look around the white nightstand next to the bed. There’s nothing but a journal, not written in, and an ink pen.

            A couple minutes later the black guy walks back in. As he opens the door I notice a lot of people in the hallway walking in the same direction.

            “It’s time for supper.” He states.

            “Is that where they’re going?” I reply, pointing to the people in the hallway.

            “Yes.” He nods.

            “Why don’t you know why I’m here. Well"in Unit 3? I mean, you brought me here. You should know at least something. Or are you not telling me?” I say as we walk down the hallway and down a flight of stairs.

            As he pushes me into a tight corner where no one could see him, he says, “Oh, I know why you’re here. I just don’t understand why you’re in this unit. I personally think you should be placed in Unit 99, where I come from. Doesn’t matter anyway, you’re just another rich girl who should be used to not being responsible for you actions; surprise, surprise. Oh, wait. You’re not rich anymore.”

            “Get off of me!” I say as I remove his arm away from my throat.

            I was rich? And what actions am I not being held accountable for? Ugh, why can’t I remember anything! Obviously this has something to do with why I’m trapped here. And there are more units? What is this place? I don’t feel safe at all.

            He quickly leaves the corner and keeps walking down the stairs. The rest of the walk to the cafeteria is silent. Just like every other entrance in this place, when we arrive there; there’s a door way with bold letters above it that reads: CAFETERIA. The room is white, go figure. It’s full with rectangular tables with over half of them occupied.

            “The food line is that way,” He says while pointing to the back of the room. “Tell them you’re new and you will get your examination tomorrow. Have a good day ma’am. I’ll be back to check on you in a couple hours, don’t be scared to take a look around the place. You’ll need to get comfortable.” He smiles and walks away.

             I walk towards the back of the room to a lady with a tablet and stylus in her hand. “I don’t recognize you. Name, please?” She says with almost a hypnotizing smile.

            “It’s Natalie, I think.” I reply, really unsure about myself.

            “New?”

            “Yea, he said I’ll get my examination tomorrow?”

            “Okay, sounds perfect. Well, welcome to Unit 3 cafeteria. It’s a pleasure to meet you Natalie. Continue down the line, you’ll get the average meal for tonight. It’ll be right out of the oven.”

            I’m walking down the lunch counter with my tray behind a line of people; I can smell the delicious scent of yummy food. I didn’t realize how hungry I was until now. A woman hands me a drink and I sniff it. Honestly, I don’t know what it is. It smells odd. I don’t think I’m going to be drinking this. I mean, for it to smell like this and these people are already un-trustable, I’d rather not take my chances.

When I get down to the end of the line another woman holds out her hand.

I’m staring at the woman’s hand confusingly when she says, “Ma’am, plate please.” I hand her my plate and she puts a grilled chicken breast, mashed potatoes, and French styled green beans on it.

“Thank you.” I smile.

            I’m trying to find a place to sit in here. It’s pretty tough since the room is ginormous and almost everyone is seated, enjoying their food. I find a spot at a table in the middle of the room. I sit down and the man across from me greets me with a wave.

“You must be new, huh?” He says.

            “I guess.” I reply.

            “Rough day?”

            “That’s an understatement.”

            “Oh, come on. It can’t be that bad. I mean, unless you woke up with no knowledge of who you were, somehow miraculously ended up in a concealed room, and long story short ended up here eating dinner at my table.” He winks at me, “those mashed potatoes sure look good, though.”

            I lean in closer, “how do you know?”

            “Everyone goes through it.” He replies, as if he’s shocked with my reaction.

            I sit back looking around. I feel scared. I don’t think I’m leaving this asylum-like place anytime soon. I don’t think anyone ever leaves. Why am I here with all these other people? Why are they all here with me?

While I’m lost in confusion, the man across from me says, “Well I’m Lucas.”

            I snap back into reality. “Natalie"?”

            “It’ll be easier by the end of the week, trust me.”

Later on after everyone is done eating dinner and scattering around the unit I decide to glance around. Leaving the cafeteria, I see Lucas and the people who were also at the table chatting. As I’m staring at them trying to read their lips, I begin to get excruciating chest pain. I’m trying not to make noise when I try to hold onto the wall. I’m falling onto the ground holding my chest. I see Lucas turn around and run to me. He’s yelling for help. While I’m fading in and out of consciousness, everyone’s voices begin to fade. I see a nurse walk up to me when I finally black out.



© 2016 Destiny Glenn


Author's Note

Destiny Glenn
Any thoughts? Anything I should redo--include--discard?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great job. Well written. Good pace and intrigue. Can't wait for more. A few typo's but nothing major to change. Great job. I am excited for the rest.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on May 18, 2016


Author

Destiny Glenn
Destiny Glenn

Louisville, KY



About
I'm honestly not a social person. I used to be, but that's another story. I'm a dancer--preferably hip hop, but I also do jazz and lyrical/contemporary. I love photography. It's like looking at the wo.. more..

Writing