Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Destiny Glenn

Chapter Three

 

I wake up to knocking on the door. I wait for my vision to recover from being asleep then I slowly get up to go open the door. It’s Lucas.

“Hey,” He says with a big smile. “Are going to come down to eat breakfast?”

I stick my head outside the door to see if anyone else is in the hallway. No one’s in the hallway. “Am I late?” I say rubbing my eyes.

He shakes his head. “No, I just thought since you’re new here, maybe I should come and make sure get you up in time to get ready.”

“Okay. But uh�"how did you know this was my room?”

He points to above my door.

Oh, I forgot my name is above my door. “Okay. I’ll be ready in time. Thanks.”

“Anytime,” he smiles then turns and walks away.

Does he make sure everyone new here gets up in time for breakfast? There’s no way he specifically woke up just to wake me up, right? Besides, unless there’s some directory, he had to have walked around for at least thirty minutes in advance to try and find my room. Not that I really want to call this my room. I prefer to call it my temporary stay. Trust me; like I said before, I’m going to get out of here as soon as possible, with or without their cooperation.

After I’m done showering and getting dressed, I grab my key and head out the door. It’s so crowded in the hallway, as I had predicted. Once I make it to the front of the cafeteria, there Lucas stands. I smile and nod at him as he gestures me inside. We walk up to the lady who welcomed me to the cafeteria yesterday.

“Natalie?” she asks.

“Yes. That’s me!” I love my fake enthusiasm.

She laughs, “Well, I still don’t have you in the system, dear. Now, where’s that examination?”

“I don’t know.” Yup, the enthusiasm’s gone.

“It’s alright. Go by the examinations area today. I’m sure they’ll fit you right in.” She smiles.

“Okay.”

“Average meal again, sweetheart.” She says as she pats my back.

I walk forward and go through the line again. This time they hand me some orange juice, then place two pancakes with the side of eggs and sausage on my tray. I’ve got to admit, it smells pretty tempting.

I go find a seat at a table far in the corner. Lucas shortly follows. He has an omelet. I wonder why he didn’t get the pancakes. We don’t talk while we eat. But, as I finish this last bite, I find him staring at me.

“Why are you staring at me?” I ask, just out of curiosity.

“I don’t know. I was finished before you so; there was nothing else to do.” He replies. The funny thing about it is that he sounds like he’s being completely honest.

“How long have you been here?”

“Six months.”

I lean in and whisper, “Don’t you get sick of this place?”

“Yes, but honestly it’s a waste of emotion. There’s no point. If we’re stuck here, we might as well make the best of it.”

I laugh, “That’s crazy.”                         

“You know, this place isn’t as bad as it seems. It has its advantages.”

“Really, like what?”

“I don’t know. I guess we’ll find out.” I like the mystery in his voice.

“Well, okay then.” I smile. “Do you by any chance know where the examinations are?”

“Yea, you want to go now to get it over with?”

I think about it for a second. “Sure.”

We stand up and exit the cafeteria. Suddenly, I’m not so sure about this so called “examination”. Something about it sounds off. It’s just that I don’t understand why they would need to examine me. I think it’s pretty simple. I remember nothing from my past and I still have no clue where I am. Well, besides the fact that I’m in some unit, numbered three.

We go opposite of the stairs and head down another hallway. And there it is in bold letters above the double doors: EXAMINATIONS. Lucas pushes the door open and leads the way. I look behind me to make sure if I need to, I can leave. Nope, its security locked. Oh, so they allow you to enter but without some code, you can’t exit?  

We pass a door that specifically states only certified medical personnel are allowed to enter. Certified medical personnel? I wonder what’s in there. What if it has something to do with why we’re all here or why I can’t remember a single thing about myself?

We come to the end where there are a few chairs and a desk with a woman behind it. Lucas walks up to the woman to let her know I’m here for my examination. Something about the way she points to the chairs and encourages us to get comfortable, gives me a bad feeling about this.



© 2016 Destiny Glenn


Author's Note

Destiny Glenn
So far... is this story interesting or just boring? If boring... how can fix it? If interesting...how--what makes you want to continue reading?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really inresting. I find myself feeling for Nathalie. I want to know more and what is the deal with Lucas. Very intrigued by all of it. So far, so great.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on May 18, 2016


Author

Destiny Glenn
Destiny Glenn

Louisville, KY



About
I'm honestly not a social person. I used to be, but that's another story. I'm a dancer--preferably hip hop, but I also do jazz and lyrical/contemporary. I love photography. It's like looking at the wo.. more..

Writing