Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Destiny Glenn

Chapter Fifteen

 

“You’re not as smart as you think you are, Natalie.” Dr. Peters smiles. She’s standing against the front of the desk in her office.

I stormed in here after my mini meltdown in the hallway in front of the cafeteria. I honestly don’t know why I think demanding answers from this woman is going to help anything. It doesn’t help me get out of here. It doesn’t help my sanity--something that I know is slowly disappearing. All it does is waste my time--time that could be spent on finding a way out.

I shrug. “Maybe you’re right. Although, you don’t have to be that smart to know people just don’t disappear.” I slowly walk over to her and whisper. “Now, you may have not done anything to him. But I am almost certain you know what happened.”

“I can assure you I don’t kn--”

I cut her off as my eyes begin to tear up. “Please, I--I just want to see him. Just one last time.”

She chuckles and crosses her arms. “That’s impossible and even if I could,” She leans in and narrows her eyes. “Do you really think I’d let you do that?”

I wipe the tear off of my cheek and inhale deeply. “You know,” I walk over to her and lean all the in until I’m not even an inch away from her face. “You should really stop underestimating me.”

“Oh, no. I don’t underestimate you, Natalie. I am fully aware of what your capable of. Don’t get me wrong.” She walks behind her desk, presses a button on her office phone, and shrugs. “You just can’t get past me. I’m your only obstacle that you just can’t seem to get past. And you know that.”

I just stare at her.

She points her finger towards me and smiles. “That’s what makes you so amusing to watch. You just keep trying.”

“I will find a way out and when I do, I will expose you.”

She points towards the door where two nurses are standing and snaps. “Get out of my office!”

The two nurses walk over to me and grab my arms to lead me out.

After the nurses escort me to my room I just curl up and sit in the corner. Yea, maybe stopping by Dr. Peters office was a bad idea. I am fully aware that I did it out of vulnerability and anger, which honestly, makes me feel worse. Although I feel more like a complete idiot than I do upset right now. I just don’t know why I thought for even a second that she’d tell me anything about Lucas. The more I think about the situation, the more I want to cry. And the more I want to cry, the more I feel like I’m slowly killing bits and pieces of my sanity. The sanity I need to use to get out of here.

I crawl over to my bed and pull out the plastic bag with the scrubs in it. I look over at the time and see its only 6:39 pm. I lean over to my nightstand and grab the piece of paper.

4963 " 4:30am

Back by 6:40am

I put the note back on my nightstand and slide the bag back under the bed. I know I was supposed to go out there with Lucas by my side; more like both of us by each other’s side. I can’t focus on that, though. Because if I dwell on would have been other than what will be"I just can’t screw this night up. If I do, I can’t even begin to think of what might happen to me.  I decide to skip dinner and just sit here on the ground until it’s time to head out. I would try to at least get some sleep, but I can’t risk missing this opportunity.

When the clock strikes 4:20am I stand up and grab the plastic bag. I slowly pull out the scrubs and carefully lay them down on my bed. I slide off my jeans and glide on the scrub bottoms. Before I take my t-shirt off and put the scrub top on, I remind myself that this is all real. I remind myself that I’m not dreaming and I’m really about to go out there. When I pull the top out of the bag, I discover there’s a watch hidden under it. I pick it up and check to make sure the time is correct. I place it on my wrist. After the scrubs are on, I pull the hair tie out of my hair and shake it out. Yea, I don’t think keeping my hair up is a good idea. Just in case someone out there recognizes me, which I’m sure at least someone will. I take one last look at the note and whisper to myself,

“Four nine six three. Be back by 6:40am.”

I toss the paper over to the side and take a deep breath. I walk over to the bathroom. I stare at the mirror, looking at my reflection. No matter where he is or how he his is, I know he’d want me to go out there with determination.  So that’s what I do. I walk over to my door and whisper the code to myself to get it locked inside my head. I nod to myself, open the door, and head out with full-on determination.



© 2016 Destiny Glenn


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good luck girl. You got this. I think Lucas is alive. I hope she can find him. Great story. Well done. Looking forward to the rest.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 6, 2016
Last Updated on July 6, 2016


Author

Destiny Glenn
Destiny Glenn

Louisville, KY



About
I'm honestly not a social person. I used to be, but that's another story. I'm a dancer--preferably hip hop, but I also do jazz and lyrical/contemporary. I love photography. It's like looking at the wo.. more..

Writing