London

London

A Poem by Dianah
"

Floetry relecting the hectic pace in a city until the final destination is reached...Highgate Cemetery

"

LONDON

 

Capital city where little letters are lost

In urban lights easy picking fights with strangers

But choosing to keep out of danger high voltage in streets

Where fashion trends speed up until they crash

Into the stock exchange the city crumbling under ground

Rumbling homeless on the streets

Paved with gold legend told but the city ain't so sweet.

As parliament talks Whitehall walks in crowds of resent.

Jobs cannot earn enough to pay city rent.

London waiting speed dating over too soon.

Standing by the Thames backlit by false moons.

Stars hiding in an electric sky, silence can't hear

Your cry for help as the city pleas fall on deaf ears

Careers made for life until death do us part.

In Highgate Cemetry I made peace with the city,

Overcrowded but overgrown

As legends lay buried beneath my feet,

Ancient city full of dead people.

 

Londinium.......her treasure I found buried.

 

© D.Hinson

 

© 2009 Dianah


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As someone who lives in this city i am none to used to the sights you speak of and how you represent them trumendos , amazng , fantastic.
You paint london with your fingers, weavin them with smooth ,snappy words .... your withhold the energy of a young child stuck inside all day because of the rain with the intellegence of a man on his last legs. A great piece

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this !

Posted 14 Years Ago


Great stuff...love it. London is a janus faced creture...powerful and energetic...but also dark and destructive of many. I love both aspects of it. Jack London's 'People of the Abyss' springs to mind, T.S.Eliot's 'Wasteland' and the London Underground tube map. And the fox I saw recently near the Bank of England...or was it the soul of a broken bond trader? I pass the Temple of Mithras ever night and alleys through Blackfriars that follow the city's medieval fingerprint ... to the sound of Big Tom chiming in St Pauls. 'London waiting speed dating' is my favourite bit of your poem. Will have that in my head all day.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

UK born but not into cities, not even London, I nonetheless think this is an extraordinary post! You see the city from its outside in, talk of its buried treasure, what it is and the all but tragedy of what's been lost as its rumbled over the centuries.

There are some great lines in this, memorable ones: ' Where fashion trends speed up until they crash ~ Into the stock exchange the city crumbling under ground ~ Rumbling homeless on the streets '

Highgate Cemetary - a virtual museum as well as resting place for the famous and not so famous.

Great write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I kinda seemed to like it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


As someone who lives in this city i am none to used to the sights you speak of and how you represent them trumendos , amazng , fantastic.
You paint london with your fingers, weavin them with smooth ,snappy words .... your withhold the energy of a young child stuck inside all day because of the rain with the intellegence of a man on his last legs. A great piece

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was wonderful! Well wrote and interesting. I so would love to visit London one day, seeing it through your eyes was an experience..thanks..
k

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a way to describe London, I guess I'll have to see it by myself one day, nevertheless this is a great poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
Imagery and meter excellant!

I have never been to London, but would love to come across the pond some day. From the description it sounds a bit like New York, albeit much more full of history.

Kudos!

JC

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved this. Mainly because I live in London and what you said is absolutely true!

"Where fashion trends speed up until they crash"-that's why I avoid Islington!

Other reason why I love this is because it's snappy, it's quick and you waste no words with it. Every line has a point. And the ending gives it a deeper meaning, rather than it just being about how London is fake and dirty. As a hardcore history nerd, I know of some of London's hidden treasure, so you could say that on the one side you have the graves of the ones who made London what it is, and on the other, there's all the hidden Roman architecture that's buried beneath modern high rises (I'm just going with the link 'Londinium') You can look at it either way, but I'm guessing with the direct approach of the language used, it's probably the former.

Really good stuff!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very well thought and constructed piece of poetry. The words you use to describe the various facets of the city (fashion trends "speeding up until they crash/into the stock exchange") give the poem as whole color and motion.
The only line I felt was forced and out-of-step with the rest of this piece was the second to last one "ancient city full of dead people". It felt a bit like a slap in the face, being sandwiched between two truly excellent lines ('As legends lay buried beneath my feet....Londinium...her treasure I found buried"). Perhaps that line is supposed to be a 'slap' to the reader, but to me it feels too 'explain-y'. It's understood that it would be full of the dead, it's a cemetery. That is the only line I would be inclined to look at again.
On the whole, very much enjoyed. I look forward to reading your other work!
~Katherine

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 28, 2009
Last Updated on March 28, 2009

Author

Dianah
Dianah

Lancaster, United Kingdom



About
I write , mainly poetry, about anything and everything. I have written song lyrics and seem to be addicted to rhyming. I hate writing blurbs for blogs as I never know what to say... I often confuse.. more..

Writing
Theatre Theatre

A Poem by Dianah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..