London

London

A Poem by Dianah
"

Floetry relecting the hectic pace in a city until the final destination is reached...Highgate Cemetery

"

LONDON

 

Capital city where little letters are lost

In urban lights easy picking fights with strangers

But choosing to keep out of danger high voltage in streets

Where fashion trends speed up until they crash

Into the stock exchange the city crumbling under ground

Rumbling homeless on the streets

Paved with gold legend told but the city ain't so sweet.

As parliament talks Whitehall walks in crowds of resent.

Jobs cannot earn enough to pay city rent.

London waiting speed dating over too soon.

Standing by the Thames backlit by false moons.

Stars hiding in an electric sky, silence can't hear

Your cry for help as the city pleas fall on deaf ears

Careers made for life until death do us part.

In Highgate Cemetry I made peace with the city,

Overcrowded but overgrown

As legends lay buried beneath my feet,

Ancient city full of dead people.

 

Londinium.......her treasure I found buried.

 

© D.Hinson

 

© 2009 Dianah


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As someone who lives in this city i am none to used to the sights you speak of and how you represent them trumendos , amazng , fantastic.
You paint london with your fingers, weavin them with smooth ,snappy words .... your withhold the energy of a young child stuck inside all day because of the rain with the intellegence of a man on his last legs. A great piece

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like this. The pace, the subject matter, the structure....... really well done.

Weirdly the Highgate part also pulls me in, I was once a Suicide Bridge dweller.

Hugs
Mx

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Due to the obvious link with death, the journey of this poem ends at Highgate cemetery. Thus, the journey to this cemetery is a representation of life's journey, which inevitably ends in death. Interestingly, this poem also includes a number of references to London landmarks, and other features of the city which frequent visitors are likely to recognise.

"As parliament talks Whitehall walks in crowds of resent". This line is comparing the mere words of our politicians in parliament, with the protesting crowds who march in their resentment.

"Rumbling homeless on the streets". Well, with this line, the "rumbling" is probably symbolic of the stomachs rumbling, of the hungry homeless.

Perhaps, the final line of this poem is the most meaningful. It reads, "Londinium.....her treasure I found buried". However, it can be interpreted in more than one way. Firstly, the concept of buried treasure, is probably a representation of the idea that London's qualities or riches are hidden from view. At least, that is how the writer appears to view the city in this regard. Or, it may be expressing the concept that the "treasure" does lie in London, but is hard to find, or scarce? Of course, as always, only the writer knows for certain! "Londinium" is the ancient Latin word for London.

Thankyou kindly, for adding this to my Group, "Twilight's Disciples"! Who will be next, I wonder, to add some writing to my Group? Great writing, Dianah!



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 28, 2009
Last Updated on March 28, 2009

Author

Dianah
Dianah

Lancaster, United Kingdom



About
I write , mainly poetry, about anything and everything. I have written song lyrics and seem to be addicted to rhyming. I hate writing blurbs for blogs as I never know what to say... I often confuse.. more..

Writing
Theatre Theatre

A Poem by Dianah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..