Smoke Break.

Smoke Break.

A Story by Donkey!
"

I wrote this while on deployment in Afghanistan.

"

The half-lit moon makes the stars seem brighter tonight, barely rising over the horizon and clearly shrouded by the sand and dust in the air. As I graze the area in front of me I can see the silhouettes of bodies. Tired and exhausted bodies slumped in chairs. Some already asleep in their cots, dreaming their night away with the distant future of returning to family and friends. I can hear the muffled laughter as Marines enjoy their nightly movie, but trying to keep quiet from the slumbering ones. With cigarettes in hand, water bottles strewn across the rocky ground, and perhaps a bag of chips here and there from packages. It becomes a routine every night, the only way for these warriors to get their minds off the day's stresses. To forget, even for a moment, of how long it has been. To quell the anxiety for moments at a time. The tour is nearing the end, that time when we're all boarding the plane. Hustling to get seated, anxious to get home. "I can't wait" we constantly say among ourselves. "I can't wait." I quietly thought to myself. And that's when I realized maybe I should get back inside. It was nice to have some anxiety quelled, a little bit of reminiscing. I put my cigarette out and walked back into the tent.

© 2009 Donkey!


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on May 8, 2009

Author

Donkey!
Donkey!

Jacksonville, NC



About
My poems are from when I was in High School. They're old and I was young, and probably could've been written with a better flow, so bear with me. I myself am currently enlisted in the Marine Corps.. more..

Writing