Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jordan Cattell
"

Opening chapter

"

 

- Chapter One –
 
 
Dr Derek Hayes sat in his Head of Staff office in the west block of the Newton State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, a place he spent most of his working life, climbing the career ladder until he reached top dog. Dr Hayes was quite a famous man in the scientific field and he had received many awards for his outstanding work.
     Dr Hayes was 41 years old. He was married and was a father to a son and two daughters. He was a tall man, standing a 6’ 4” and was well-built, often giving the impression that he was a violent giant but the truth was quite the opposite. Dr Hayes had chestnut hair which was always kept short. He had beard but not too long and bushy. Taking everything into account, he was quite well groomed.
     Derek Hayes was just preparing himself for his journey home. It was Friday evening and all the inmates were safely locked up. It was a rather miserable night for the time of the year (mid-July). Rain was washing up against the cold windows, the room occasionally illuminating on account of the lightning. Derek stuffed some papers into his briefcase and locked it up. He grabbed his raincoat off of the coat stand by the oak office door. His secretary had already left and it was just himself that remained in this secured section of the building. He grabbed his briefcase when he had put his coat on and left the office, locking the door behind him.
     The hospital was very up-to-date with technology. Very important areas of the building had restricted access and required many security clearances such as key cards and codes and for certain areas, fingerprint scanners. Outside Derek Hayes’ office was a circular room where his secretary was housed. He walked past the vacant desk and swiped out of the room with his key card. He stepped into the corridor which was being patrolled by two guards. The guards were highly trained, many were former police officers and they carried a small armoury of equipment with them. They carried radios, a can of Mace, a stun gun, a nightstick, and handcuffs and for extreme circumstances, a Colt 45. Semi-automatic pistol accompanied by a small ammo belt.
     One of the guards was to the right; he was sitting on a chair next to some steps that led upstairs to the Administration Section. The other guard was to the left, his back towards a barred door. Derek went left, his footsteps echoed loudly in the brightly lit corridor. He walked towards the guard by the door. He reached for his key card, swiped it through the reader. He then typed in a code on the keypad and finally put his fingerprint on the scanner. The door buzzed and slid across.
“Good night, Doctor.” The guard said.
“Good night, Bruce.” Derek replied and gave the man a nod. Derek stepped through the door which shut almost straight afterwards. Then he went down another corridor and into the main reception (both patrolled by guards) and finally through the front door which was then locked behind him by a guard. Derek pulled his collar up to shelter him from the rain and then he walked quickly to his car.
     Traffic was light and so Derek got home quickly, which he was glad about. He pulled his blue BMW into his driveway, pushed a button on a remote and the garage door began to open, moaning as it moved upwards, light spilling out into the darkness from the garage.
     Derek turned the engine off and stepped lightly out of his car, making sure to collect his briefcase. He closed the garage door and went into the house from a door that leads from the garage to the hallway. Turning and locking it behind him.
    His wife, Julianne was preparing dinner. Julianne was 3 years younger than Derek. She was tall for a female with long blonde hair that reached her back and she had small, hazel eyes. She was standing at a counter chopping vegetables, wearing a baggy that was by far too big for her, Derek then noticed that it actually belonged to him.
”Hey, hon.” She said sweetly to him when he walked in. She stopped what she was doing and walked over to him, wrapping her arms tightly around him.
“How are you?” Derek asked quietly, his chin resting on the top of her head.
”Ah, can’t complain.” She replied with a little laugh. They smile at each other as he set his briefcase down, next to the door. His eldest daughter walked in, not noticing her father.
”Mum, what time’s dinner?” She asked politely. Julianne did not look up, she had resumed her chopping.
”It will be about 20 minutes.” Her mother said quietly.
“Ok.” Then her daughter, Holly, turned and bumped into her father, a man she deeply respected and knew never to cross the line with.
“Oh. Hi, Dad. I didn't see you there.” She said sweetly, giving him a hug and walking off before he could reply. He smiled to himself briefly.
     Holly Hayes was 17. She was admired by many for her kindness and generosity; everyone loved her, especially her father. She had inherited her mother’s height, her father’s eyes and had shoulder-length brown hair. She was never seen without make-up. Derek’s other daughter and son were most likely lurking about somewhere.
    Derek proceeded to the living room where he sat on the sofa and read the Financial Times. Derek was a passionate reader, not just of newspaper but of other things like book and poetry. He read almost anything that was in front of him. Whilst reading, he yanked off his tie and undone his top button. Then he sat back further into the puffy sofa and continued reading.
 
 
 
 
 


© 2008 Jordan Cattell


Author's Note

Jordan Cattell
First draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on August 30, 2008


Author

Jordan Cattell
Jordan Cattell

Northampton, United Kingdom



About
Aged 16, born in Northamptonshire, England, March 18th 1992. Enjoy many things such as writing, movies, music, theatre, poker, science. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Poem by Jordan Cattell