Chapter 18: The Colours of Magic

Chapter 18: The Colours of Magic

A Chapter by Daisygirl

Chapter 18


Duana was standing by the window when Seraphina entered the room.  

“Rhea explained some things about what happened before you came to Odrana,” Seraphina said.

Duana turned away from the window and looked at Seraphina inquisitively.

“She wanted me to understand why you did the things you did,” Seraphina continued.

Duana smiled wanly, “but you don’t understand,” she stated.

“I do, mostly.  But I don’t understand how you changed when you did.  Rhea said it was because you let anger and hate controle you because you panicked but why didn’t it happen before, it seems like there was other times when you could’ve lost hope and changed,” Seraphina replied.

Duana sighed, “do you know what aw is?” she asked.

Seraphina shook her head.

“All halflings have a magic draw, it’s the core of our magic,” Duana began but Seraphina interrupted.

“I thought that personality was the core of your magic.”

“That is what shapes our magic, makes it the way that it is, a magic draw is, essentially, what we draw our magic from.  Rhea’s draw is the earth, mine is emotions.  The earth is, for the most part, stable, so Rhea’s magic is stable and steady.  Emotions aren't very stable, they’re erratic and wild, always changing, and so is my magic.  For many years my draw, my most powerful emotions, were hope and determination, hope that the war would end and determination that I would see to it that it did end.  Those are fairly stable emotions, so my magic remained stable and easily controlled.  

When your father found my bloodstone my emotions started to shift, it had been years and the war hadn’t ended, and the bloodstone I had created as a last resort was going to be used against me and my people.  As my emotions started shifting, so did my draw; from hope and determination to anger and hate.  Once my draw and shifted entirely, and because of the unstable and powerful qualities of anger and hate, I lost control of my magic.  When I lost control of my magic I lost control of myself.     

Magic, personalities, and draws are not three separate things, they’re entwined together as one entity,” Duana explained wearily.

“Then it wasn’t you?  Doing all those things?”  Seraphina asked.  Duana did not miss the sliver of hope in her voice.

“I lost control, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t myself, I was still me.  I was just a different part of myself. Everything I did, I did consciously and willingly.  There are things I did that I will come to regret but the change in my magic and myself is not one of them.  Embracing darkness gave me the power and will to do what I couldn’t do.  The war is over.  That is always what I wanted, and it was only by acting on the darkness that allowed me the strength to use the bloodstone,” Duana replied.

“Was it real, those eight-nevermind,” Seraphina said quietly but Duana knew the rest of the question she’d been about to ask.

“I won’t apologize for killing your father.  He was responsible for the murder of far too many.  But I do regret your involvement.  My intent was to kill your father and end the war, you weren’t supposed to be involved,” Duana said.

Seraphina nodded once, “what will you do now?” she asked.

“I believe that is up to you,” Duana reminded her.

“If it wasn’t.  What would you do then?”  Seraphina asked.

“I would return home to Sacia, it has been more years than I would have liked since I left,” Duana answered.

“Then as the Queen of Odrana I charge you with treason for the murder of the King and exile you to Sacia.  This is effective-”  Seraphina paused thoughtfully, “this is effective as soon as Rhea says.”

Duana smiled thinly and gestured to the door, “Rhea is sure to be pleased, would you let her in?”

Seraphina smiled and shook her head, then opened the door.  Rhea was standing right behind the door holding Aya in her arms.  She marched briskly into the room, handed Aya to Seraphina and gave Duana a vial of gold liquid.

“Drink this,” Rhea ordered and watched to make sure Duana did as told.

Once the now empty vial was in her pocket Rhea turned and addressed Seraphina, “right,” she said and paused for a moment, tapping her foot against the floor as she thought, “tomorrow mid morning ought to be fine,” then Rhea turned to Duana.  “You’ll be able to transport by then?” she asked.

“Yes,” Duana replied after some contemplation.

“Alright.  Tomorrow morning it is.  I’d better go help Oliver now or we’ll be up all night trying to sort everything and the night’s already half gone.  I for one would like to get some sleep,” Seraphina said with a yawn.

“Let me take Aya then, and you be sure to get some rest.  Don’t go and work all night,” Rhea said sternly, ever the healer.

“Yes mam,” Seraphina teased as she handed Aya back to Rhea.

Once the door was closed behind Seraphina, Rhea once again addressed Duana, “you have to sleep.  Otherwise you won’t be going anywhere tomorrow,” Rhea informed her.

“I suspect you’ll be headed back to sea with Jason and Aya now that everything is sorted,” Duana said.

“Yes, that is the plan,” Rhea replied.

Duana turned away and looked out of the window, “you should consider staying.  There’s still a few things left to be sorted,” she said mildly.

“Oh?” .

“She, Seraphina, will need help, and even more, a friend,” Duana said.

Rhea looked at Duana searchingly, then smiled, “I suppose I can delay leaving for a few weeks.”

“Thanks you,” Duana said quietly.

“Mm.  Get some sleep.”  Rhea said and left to return to her own room and get some sleep herself.

Duana remained at the window, staring into the night for some time before sleeping, lost in thought, the room awash in her red light.



© 2015 Daisygirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on January 19, 2015
Last Updated on January 19, 2015


Author

Daisygirl
Daisygirl

Saltspring Island, B.C., Canada



About
My name is Annika and I'm 16. I love reading, writing, fairy tales and words. Also tea, sweets, and really warm weather. I hope to someday publish my novella The Colour's of Magic and finish some o.. more..

Writing
Imagine Imagine

A Poem by Daisygirl