To be or not to be

To be or not to be

A Story by oh,hey.
"

just a continued version of ' the girl who sat on the beach'

"

Salty ocean air swiftly flew into my nostrils, the new fresh air that had just been viciously recycled by the cold British sea. As I stood on the old brick wall looking out to the shapeless sky, the only thing I could think about was the single piece of lonely hair trailing down the curved back of the girl sitting on the beach alone like the piece of hair floating in the wind. That single piece of hair lost and forgotten.


I started thinking about her life, she could have been considering the same thing as me and I wouldn’t have known, maybe her situation was worse and there’s her staring in to the deep, endless ocean nothing else. I considered walking up to her; the sand between my toes and the rocks digging into my feet the long walk to get to her. I would sit down slowly. She’d be startled at first, but then, but then I’d just talk. I’d tell her about my life, tell her everything. I’d tell her secrets I hadn’t even told the people closest to me. For no reason, I would wonder for years later why that girl. I would never find an answer.


She would tell about her life, her family, friends, her deepest darkest secrets and fears. I would know her better than anyone. We’d talk for hours non-stop until the sea starting creeping in on us and we would wonder in the days to come how time went so quickly. We would have both known it was only for that day we’d walk our separate ways and live our lives and never talk about the day we had spent together.

But that only happened in the movies.

I took one breath of that fresh new sea air and stepped off the ledge.

Flying, that’s what falling felt like, flying. I spread my arms as the ferocious wind pulled back my face, freedom was just ahead of me. The hard ground opened its unforgiving arms but I just couldn’t wait to reach it. Anything would be better than this life, than my life. I couldn’t cope anymore, the loneliness, the hopelessness. The freezing air that surrounded me was my only companion, the only friend I will ever have. What felt like forever must have taken for seconds, I so desperately wanted to reach the floor quicker so I wouldn’t have any regrets that were the only thing I never wanted to have. Tears began to stream out of my dull brown eyes as the frightened screams of passers by began to stare and point. There’s nothing they can do to help, nothing they could ever do to help someone like me. The screams ringing in my ears, thoughts flooded into my mind again and again. Darkness . My stinging eyes fluttered opened as the wind caught in my throat, the wind chucking around my hair and my breathing unusually fast. For today I carefully got down off the old brick wall, left the girl on the beach, left the brown mucky sea and made the ground close its unforgiving arms. Because for today I would be, tomorrow maybe not.

 
 
 

© 2013 oh,hey.


Author's Note

oh,hey.
the girl who sat on the beach continued with a new title
opinions welcome thankyou

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this I feel like I went to the beach with you and get into your thoughts for awhile.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Not bad. I think you could use a bit less description and imagery here and there - you don't want to make the whole cake out of the icing. You've got a very clear image and you have a well-defined story, but I think that you've overcomplicated it a little.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Awesome

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

There's many a slip between the wall and the beach. To a poet that's an opportunity. A clever poem that takes off without an end in sight. Perhaps it says we may need to get used to it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


oh,hey.

10 Years Ago

thankyou
Written very well,good use of language,I bet your English teacher is very pleased with you...

Posted 10 Years Ago


oh,hey.

10 Years Ago

probably not she doesn't like me very much, but thankyou!
That was really amazing how you go into the thoughts and back into reality. I love it XD
(haha love the title too. . . i'm reading hamlet in school)

Posted 10 Years Ago


oh,hey.

10 Years Ago

we're reading romeo and juilet and otheloo
The extent to which you draw the reader to picture every line like it was real was fantastic. The conclusions to be drawn are numerous.

Posted 10 Years Ago


oh,hey.

10 Years Ago

thankyou1
As your character approached death, I considered whether she was going to fall, or whether she'd be saved.. Or, as it followed, that she's been on the wall the whole time. The imagery of the other girl is something everyone can relate to I think. When life feels at it's toughest, there's always someone who has it worse, and usually that teaches us to appreciate what we do have as opposed to searching for what we don't. Opening up to strangers is sometimes so much easier - there is no emotional connection, which lets us receive a response not tainted by a deeper bond. A more rational reaction. Depression is a dark path to tread, and while a hard one for many to stray from, suicide is an permanent solution for you and an eternally painful event for everyone else. At the end of the day on one is perfect - and most don't even expect perfection. To deal with the cards we are handed makes us stronger, wiser, and even happier as we embrace all aspects of life.

Posted 10 Years Ago


i can honestly say that this piece was enthralling and held me breathless at the last. the possibilities for interpretation are almost endless. very, very good!

Posted 10 Years Ago


oh,hey.

10 Years Ago

thankyou!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

532 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2013
Last Updated on May 10, 2013
Tags: stuff, beach, sea, old, brick

Author

oh,hey.
oh,hey.

Cambs, Peterborough, United Kingdom



Writing
Deathly Free Deathly Free

A Story by oh,hey.


Screams Screams

A Poem by oh,hey.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..