The Election

The Election

A Chapter by Evey

Zen
Zen was laying on his couch and looking at the ceiling. The ceiling was a mosaic of oranges and reds and greens, it was hypnotising. He heard his name called and looked to where the voice had come from. It was Alt, he sat on the other couch and leaned back, spreading his arms on the back of the couch.
- "I just came back from seeing Lin." Alt said, Zen smiled.
- "Did you come here to brag?" He said, Alt rolled his eyes.
- "Do I have to remind you that Lin was in love with you before she ever even noticed me?" He said annoyed. Zen grinned.
- "But she ended up noticing.. Smart girls do." Zen said and looked back at the mosaic ceiling.
- "Lovely Zen, is that why you're single? Because anyone who's interested in you is being dumb?" Alt said in a mocking poor baby tone. Zen rolled his eyes and looked at his friend.
- "Oh please, do I look like I lack self-esteem? I'm not with any girl because I enjoy solitude." Zen teased. Alt lifted an eyebrow.
- "Solitude my a*s." He said. Zen laughed. "Anyway, that's not what I came to tell you." He said, Zen looked at him interested. "Lin was one of the examiners today and she said in one of the exams a girl almost died." Alt said, a serious look on his face. Zed leaned forward, concerned. Alt continued. "You know Dun? The Naiadi Snake Squad Leader?" Zen nodded. "He beat her up so bad her face was unrecognisable. Lin said they had to pull him off of her because he wouldn't stop punching even after the girl had stopped breathing." He said with a disgusted tone. Zen felt devastated he got his feet on the ground and leaned his elbows on his knees. 
- "But that's outrageous! He was just using the exam as an excuse to beat on a Light! He should be trialled!" Zen exclaimed outraged. Alt shook his head.
- "They can't. She was a Dark, Zen, a Naiadi actually." Alt said. Shudders went through Zen's spine.
- "He almost killed one of his own?" Zen spoke, hurt. He shook his head, not daring to think what was in that monster's head. "How is she, the girl?" Zen asked, concerned. Alt sat back.
- "She'll be ok. They started healing before it was too late, she'll probably be as good as new in a few hours." He said. Zen was shocked, he sat back shaking his head and then stopped in realisation.
- "Wait a minute. Dun? Naiadi Snake Squad Leader! Someone reached Green Level?" Zen spoke, shellshocked. Alt nodded and grinned.
- "Not only that, but she fought three Higher Levels at once and beat them all. Lin says she was almost beat too." Alt spoke, Zen opened his eyes wide. 
- "Wow… " Zen said. Alt leaned on his knees and grinned crookedly.
- "Afraid of a little competition Zen?" He teased. Zen gave him an equal smile.
- "I walked almost scott free in my examination." Zen stated. Alt scoffed and rolled his eyes. Even if he had said that Zen knew he was just trying to play it cool. He hadn't fought against someone as strong as Dun in his examination, and he hadn't fought three at once, and none of the examiners that had fought against him had had an intent to kill him. Who was this girl?
Jia
Jia woke up in the hospital bed. One of the Rudan doctors looked at her with a kind smile. She had orange-coloured eyes, the common trait of the people of Lusvolke, it was rare for someone in countries that were so heavily populated by fighters to become a healer.
- "Are you feeling good?" She asked kindly. It was also rare for anyone to be kind to a dark. Jia nodded.
- "Reborn." Jia said and sat upright. She looked at her shirt, it was torn and stained with blood. She looked at her watch, it was almost time for the Election announcement. She stood upright and walked away after turning to nod thanks to the healer. 

She got to the hall, most of the kids were already there, they shared her ragged looks but none of them had splashes of blood on their shirts. Jia was secretly grateful of being a Dark right then, her black uniform being much more discrete than a white one would've been. She took one of the free sits at the back and waited for everyone to come. The examiners walked in the room and Jia couldn't help but notice eyes on her. She looked to both sides with a frown and then crossed her arms in front of her, slumping a little on her seat. She watched Dun get to his position, he shot her a glance that confused her, his usual cross look mixed with a little pain. Jia looked at him with a frown and then looked away, concentrating on the stage. 

The Seer and the rest of the Electors stood up and the ceremony begun. They started to speak the names of the elected of the Light and Dark Lowly Tribes, starting with Purple, then Maroon, then Turquoise, Brown and finally Pink. They said the name and last name of the person, then the name of the Tribe and finally the name of the Squad. For most the only news was the name of the Squad, the Tribes tended to be the same they'd grown up in, a rare few upgraded or degraded, though, changing Tribes. After that they said the Higher Clans, Red, Orange and Yellow. Leaving the Highest two last. They read the Blue Lights and then Darks, Jia's name wasn't called. Then they started with the Green Lights. Jia was hardly paying attention. She was probably one of those who's news was only the squad. And suddenly she heard her name. A few murmurs went through the crowd. Jia looked up confused, a deeper frown on her face. 

- "Jia Danhish, Green, Light, Wolf Squad." The woman repeated. A few people turned to her, the ones who knew who she was, their expressions outraged and shocked. Jia just stared. Not really understanding. Light? The woman looked up from the paper she was reading. "Jia Danhish, please come up." She repeated in frustration. Jia stood up, when she did more murmurs went through the crowd, a few gasps. Seeing her in her black uniform, now everyone knew she was dark. She walked to the stage, the electors were as outraged as the rest, they were just holding up a strong face. Jia bowed to them as it was customary to do. She looked to the Seer, who gave her a reassuring and proud smile. She held the squad member necklace in her hands. Jia leaned slightly so the seer could put the necklace on. Unlike the Leader necklace, that was a long, rope style necklace with a large square pendant, the necklace for Squad members was a tight, collar style necklace with a small round pendant. Being of the Wolf squad, it had a silver white engraving of a howling wolf. The lace was black tainted silver for Darks and white silver for Lights. Jia bowed again and then left the stage through the right, joining the other Lights and, specifically her squad, that looked at her with disdain. The Green Light examiner was looking at her, her previously hateful eyes now with a mixture of other emotions. Jia looked in front of her, the entire room was looking at her, murmuring or just staring, not many people were left on the seats, only the Green Darks that looked at her with even more disdain than they usually did. Jia looked up and, standing opposite to her in the distance, she saw Dun wearing an expression of pure and utter hurt. It caught Jia off guard.



© 2014 Evey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I had a feeling that Jia would change. It makes it more interesting. I still like the story. It's making more sense as I read it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
1 Review
Added on March 27, 2014
Last Updated on March 27, 2014


Author

Evey
Evey

Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain



About
I am nineteen years old, about to turn twenty and already feeling old. I like writing, wether it's poetry or prose, a novel or just a scene, an essay or just a dream. I've never published anything in .. more..

Writing
Today Today

A Poem by Evey