A Welcome Goodbye

A Welcome Goodbye

A Chapter by Evey

Jia

Jia got home after a very silent ride. Nobody in the bus spoke to her, obviously, but neither did they speak between themselves, they just whispered, murmured, gossiped. Jia ignored it, it wasn't the first time she was the negative centre of attention. When they'd finally arrived at Naia she was the first to get down. She got the same warm welcome she'd gotten every day since she could remember at home, a very warm cold shoulder. She looked towards the living room, Kai, her youngest sister looked to the door for a second and recognising it was Jia she turned back to the conversation she was having with Nu, the second eldest son of the Danhish family. Jia went up the stairs to her room, she got in the shower and put on a copy of what she'd worn before, long-sleeved black and green shirt, black pants with green knee patches and black boots. She brushed her wet hair and looked herself in the mirror. 


The hair reached her waist when it was wet, it was never curly but it was a little wavy when it was dry, reaching just below her breasts. The right front strand of her hair dyed green. It was a Naiadi tradition to do that, and it wasn't one she could get rid of. She was a picture of only black, white and green. Her face was pale white, her eyes big and green, slightly slanted and her eyebrows thickly defined black lines that thickened in the centre where they joined in a frown. It was a constant frown. Jia looked at herself in the mirror and tried to make the frown disappear. She lifted her eyebrows made an awkward smile and then finally gave up, the frown was permanent. She touched it with her fingers and then followed her eyebrow, falling to her cheek bone and to her slightly hollowed cheek, she regarded herself. It wasn't something she did often, but today she felt a little different. She saw a glimmer in the mirror and her hand fell to her neck, where the Squad necklace was tied, she stroked the pendant with her fingers. Tracing the shape of the bright white wolf. She sighed and then stood straight. She passed her hands through her carbon hair once more and then left the bathroom.


She went to her room and started packing her things. She would probably have to change all her clothes but she still brought some with her, including her running outfit, she grabbed her caller, her wallet, her books and her journal, along with other few things like pens, knives, underwear, socks, bandages and her toilet kit. She went down the stairs and put the bag next to the door, then turning to the kitchen to make herself a sandwich for dinner. The family was already sitting in front of the tv, conversing and laughing. She sat in a chair further in the back and regarded her family as she ate her last meal with them. None of them turned to her, none noticed she was wearing her new necklace. 


Dun

Dun stormed home and slammed the door behind him. He was breathing heavily. He was angry, outraged. Everybody was. A dark turned light? But his anger went so much far. Not any dark, but the best dark. He knew that, he'd always known. He had no idea how she'd managed to fool all of them. How anybody could ever think she was weak. Her strength was evident in everything she did, in her silence, in the few moments she spoke, in her constant frown. And even in the rare moment when she'd smiled.  It had been a long time ago, but he remembered. Her shinning white teeth, her slanted green eyes, her wrinkled nose, the blush in her cheeks. He remembered how captivated he'd been by it. How unexpected it had been. That he of all people had made her show it. His throat clogged and he fought the tears that wanted to escape his eyes. He leaned back on the door and fell to the floor. He put his knees in front of him and leaned his elbows on them. He leaned his head back. Closing his eyes wide shut and breathing heavily, fighting the pain in his chest. She was supposed to stay with him. Forever. It was meant to be. But she'd hesitated. She was fighting hard against him and she knew what to do to beat him but she'd hesitated. She didn't finish the kick, and it angered him. She could have been the best. She could bring the Darks to their previous grace and power. But she chose not to. And now she was going to be with the Lights. Dun stood up and slammed his hands on the wall, laying his forehead against the wall. It wasn't fair. Jia was his. She'd always been his. Ever since she was a child. It was meant to be. Dun's pain turned to anger as it often did and he punched the wall with his right fist, the white plaster fell off where he'd hit. Jia was his. Forever. It was meant to be. 


Zen

Alt had taken some time to get to the parking lot but he'd finally done it, it was already dark outside and Zen wanted to go get the girl. He was driving at his normal fast speed and looking forward intently. He knew the way to Naia of course, it was on the opposite side of the river to Lena which was where he lived. They finally got to the town as the red moons started to shine. 

- "Oh s**t, do you know where the Danhish live? I didn't look it up!" He said, suddenly realising. Alt chuckled he got his caller out and opened the map application.

- "Danhish family." He said, the words engraved in the screen and the map popped up leading them to the house. Alt put the glass caller in the holster for it in the car and linked it, the map showed up in the car's screen and the gps voice guided them. 


Zen followed the indications and finally pulled over when they reached the place. Alt and him got out of the car and went to the house they saw in front of them. The house was thin and long, with black slate walls and a maroon brick ceiling. They walked to the door and Zen knocked, exchanging a look with Alt. The Danhish family were the oldest Dark family, every member of it going back to medieval times had become a promising Dark fighter, most of them were elected to the Dragon squad. On top of that, Ku Danhish had married Pen Jutha, the leader of the second most deadly Squad. And together they'd had lots of children that had joined either one of their Squads. And here was Zen coming to take their youngest away to the Light. Zen was strong, and he knew it, but he wasn't sure if he was that strong, and on top of it, fighting all these people in their land was like yelling for a war to happen. Another one. Ku Danhish opened the door and immediately burst in rage once he saw them. His family all came to back him up. 

- "How dare you come to my home? What is the meaning of this?" He yelled, outraged. His green eyes almost covered by the frown his thick black eyebrows wore. Zen looked at him confused. He wasn't supposed to be happy about it, but he had to at least have contemplated the possibility, it didn't seem like this man had. 


Ku lifted his arm, readying for a punch, Zen prepared himself to dodge it but before he could jump or the man strike a girl got in between them. She had her back to Zen and a hand stopping the man's blow. From where he stood Zen could only see her long black hair and her black and green dressed figure. She was small but seemed strong enough to stop a buff man like Ku's punch. The man's outrage increased as he looked at the girl. 

- "What are you doing Jia? This man is no friend of ours!" He exclaimed, furious. Zen frowned, so this was Jia? 

- "Jia, you're Jia?" He asked. The girl looked at him from behind her shoulder, her green eyes visible under her thick black frown. She nodded. She was beautiful, but Zen eliminated that of his mind. He bit his lip. "What's going on? Haven't you told them?" Zen asked, confused about the situation. The man's face changed to a confused frown and his hand lowered to his side. Jia straightened up.

- "They never asked." She said. A worked on steady tone to her gently strong voice. Zen regarded her confused and surprised. Never asked? Their daughter had their election ceremony and they didn't even know?  The man looked at his daughter with a scolding frown.

- "Jia, what have you done?" He said scoldingly, Zen frowned harder, growing upset.

- "She didn't do anything-" Zen started, but was soon interrupted by Ku.

- "Nobody asked you, Light. This is my family's business." He said with a tone of disgust. Zen's frown increased and was about to answer when Jia's voice stopped him. It was steady and emotionless.

- "Today was the election ceremony." She said, Ku looked at his wife confused, the ten siblings looked at each other the same way.

- "Your election? Hadn't you already been elected?" One of the girls, probably one of Jia's sisters said. She was very small and had black hair picked up in a braid with two loose green strands opened to each side of her hair. Zen opened his eyes wide, annoyed by the family's neglect towards their daughter, who had ranked one and almost died only hours ago. 

- "No." Jia said. "You can't be elected before you're sixteen, I'm sixteen now." She said. A few of the siblings looked at each other with lifted eyebrows like they'd just learned these news. Ku's frown continued.

- "What does that have to do with anything, why are they here?" He said, his tone so accusing and menacing that it almost made Zen shudder. The girl stood unaffected, clearly used to it.

- "I was elected to be in the Green Light's Wolf Squad." She said and pointed to her neck where the wolf pendant hung. Ku's outrage increased. 

- "What? She's not a Light! That's not possible!" He yelled, this time looking at Zen. Zen made a serious face.

- "Do you doubt the Seers decision? If you do you should take it out on her, this isn't Jia's fault." Zen knew that hadn't been a wise comment, but he'd had enough of seeing how terribly the girl was being treated. The man's outrage increased.

- "Don't you talk about her like you know her! She's never brought anything but trouble and disgrace to our family, and now she does this!" He said in disgust, the man pushed his daughter away hard. Zen grabbed the girl in his arms. "Here, take her! She's useless to us!" Zen's anger grew and he clenched his fists and tensed his jaw. He looked at the man with furious eyes wishing death and worse to him. He was about to attack him but again the girl got in the middle. Now just walking. She took a step inside the house and crouched down, grabbed a bag and put it over her shoulder. She turned to Zen.

- "Let's go." She said with a straight face. Zen's heart tightened. His anger growing, he looked at the man and they exchanged furious glances. Zen felt Alt's hand on his shoulder and tried to relax. Only Alt could have that effect on him. He straightened out and looked at the man. 

- "You have no idea what you just gave away." He said, and shaking his head he turned to the car. 



© 2014 Evey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Personally, I think this could become a great book. Or even trilogy!
It reminds me of Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.

Did you mean to say, "you shouldn't take it out on her"? You put 'should', not 'shouldn't.'

Can't wait until the next chapter. It keeps me on my toes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Evey

10 Years Ago

yup! Thanks for reminding me of the slip up!

And of course thanks for the encouragement.. read more



Reviews

I think Jia's life is kind of sad. Some questions do come up.
Why is she a disgrace to her family?
Why is she ignored by her family?

If you're going to add this in in later chapters, great!
If not, I suggest you look at it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Evey

10 Years Ago

It is sad, and those things will be answered later on!
Personally, I think this could become a great book. Or even trilogy!
It reminds me of Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.

Did you mean to say, "you shouldn't take it out on her"? You put 'should', not 'shouldn't.'

Can't wait until the next chapter. It keeps me on my toes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Evey

10 Years Ago

yup! Thanks for reminding me of the slip up!

And of course thanks for the encouragement.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 30, 2014
Last Updated on March 30, 2014


Author

Evey
Evey

Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain



About
I am nineteen years old, about to turn twenty and already feeling old. I like writing, wether it's poetry or prose, a novel or just a scene, an essay or just a dream. I've never published anything in .. more..

Writing
Today Today

A Poem by Evey