Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by A.Noel

Chapter Eight

  The rest of the week had gone by so slowly and was one of the loneliest I’d ever had. I couldn’t hang around on the college campus with the few friends I had there, I had to stay away from Jonas, and Ana was busy with work and last minute wedding details. When Sunday morning finally rolled around, things weren’t promising to be any brighter either.

  I sighed disparagingly as I got out of bed, then showered and dressed for the day. I went downstairs in search of Ana and breakfast, and promptly found both when I reached the kitchen.

  “Hey, morning Britt,” Ana sang out cheerfully to me. I groaned reflexively, remembering the reason behind her brightness. Today, Mac was coming back to LA to help out with the last week of arrangements. He’d still be staying with Jonas, but instead of the four of them working together on the final details, it would just be the three of them, Jonas not wanting anyone watching him to realize his connection to Ana.

  I was happy for Ana and Mac, since they’d be together again. However, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for myself, knowing that Mac would get to see Jonas every day, but I hadn’t seen or heard from him since I’d decided to stay in LA. Not to mention, this all reminded me that Ana would be leaving soon and I’d be even lonelier a week from now without her. I was already beginning to think I’d made a dumb choice to stay.

  “When are you picking Mac up from the airport?” I inquired, trying to be happy for my friend.

  Ana brushed her short, silky black hair out of her face and smiled beautifully at me from over the waffle maker.  “In just a couple hours from now,” she announced. “Oh, Britney, I’m so excited about the wedding!” she laughed, opening the waffle maker and withdrawing the perfectly cooked waffle within it. “If you had told me a year ago that Mac and I would be getting married in just a week from now, I would’ve laughed in your face, but look at me now!”

  I laughed too, remembering her less than hospitable treatment of Mac at first. “You really were mean to him,” I recalled. “I wondered if you’d ever even acknowledge his existence again.”

  “Well, I’m glad I did,” she commented, pushing a plate bearing a fresh waffle towards me along with a container of syrup. “Have you heard from Jonas yet?” she asked as she got herself a waffle and sat at the table, motioning for me to join her, which I promptly did as I shook my head glumly.

  “No,” I answered, “I guess it doesn’t really surprise me, I just didn’t realize how lonely this was going to be,” I admitted. Ana reached out a hand to cover one of my own.

  “If you ever change your mind about Seattle, all you have to do is let me know and I’ll come get you and bring you back with me. No one would blame you for leaving you know. I think Jonas would even be relieved to know you were at least safer.”

  “Thanks Ana. I know he would, but still, I just feel like I need to stay here,” I replied as she pulled her hand away and began eating.

  “Well, maybe he’ll call this weekend,” she suggested optimistically.

  “Maybe,” I agreed, not wanting to darken her mood by expressing my doubts that he would. She was going to be married in a week, and her fiancé was arriving back in town today. She had every right to be very happy, and I wouldn’t for the world rain on her day anymore than I already had.

  “So, what’re you going to do today?” she wondered.

 “Well, since Jonas didn’t have a problem with me going to the hospital to work a few times a week still, I think I’ll head over there and see if there’s anything that I can do there. If not, then I’ll probably just hang out there and work on my homework.” I didn’t relish the idea of spending my weekend haunting the hospital, but at least I wouldn’t be wholly alone.

  “Alright,” she nodded, clearing her things from the table. “But before you go, could I possibly persuade you to help me work on some more packing? There’s still so much left to get packed up, and I’m going to be even busier this week.”

  “Of course,” I readily agreed.

   <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   The man watched as the young couple embraced and kissed right in front of the crowd at the airport. It was hard to believe they’d only been separated a couple weeks from the way they were acting. Still, it was sweet the way they laughed and talked excitedly now, and from his position nearby, he could just barely make out their conversation about the upcoming wedding next weekend. Obviously, he’d arrived just in time.

  “Come on Alaric, we need to grab our bags,” his partner reminded him, tugging at his arm. He glanced at the bronzed figure and her soon-to-be husband once more before turning away.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    “Jonas, call Britney, now,” Ana ordered as soon as she and Mac stepped through the door he opened for them, and into his apartment. He raised his eyebrows in surprise.

  “What?”

  “You heard me, call her, Jonas,” she restated while he closed the door. “Britt hasn’t heard from you at all since she last saw you, and she misses you. She stayed behind because of you; the least you could do is call her now and then or send her a quick email.”

  “I planned to,” he defended, “I’ve just been busy, and it just isn’t the same not seeing her while I talk to her.”

  “Well, you could sneak over to the hospital,” Ana suggested slowly, with a twinkle in her eye. At Jonas’ look of confusion, she explained. “She went over there to work and study. I don’t think anyone would think you were meeting her at a hospital. So it should be safe enough unless you start to make it a regular habit. Go on,” she added, giving him a nudge towards the door. With a half-smile that warmed Ana’s heart, he mumbled a hurried goodbye and took off.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  I'd gone to the hospital when Ana had left to go pick up Mac. Now, about an hour later, I rested my head on my hands and closed my eyes in frustration. Having found nothing for me to do at the hospital, I had pulled out my Spanish book, and it was going less than well.

  Suddenly, I heard a sound and saw a stunning, single red rosebud resting before me. I looked up and saw Jonas’ face with his charmingly boyish grin, waiting expectantly for my reaction to his unexpected materialization before me.

  “Jonas!” I shrieked quietly, jumping up, going around the desk, and hugging him.

  “Britney,” he laughed, wrapping his arms around me. “It’s only been a few days,” he reminded me. I laughed too, knowing he was right, but still extremely happy to see him.

  “Well it’s been a very long few days,” I responded. “I’ve only had Ana to talk to outside of class, and I’m used to being with you almost every day. What are you doing here though? I thought that we couldn’t see each other anymore?”

  “Well, Ana told me you were here, and we decided that provided I didn’t make it a regular habit, it’d be alright for me to drop in and see you,” he explained, pulling away from our embrace. “So, though I’m afraid this won’t happen again for awhile, and that we’re limited to right here, I came to see you.”

  “Well I’m glad you did,” I assured him quickly. “And I don’t mind if we have to stay right here either.”

  “Good,” he responded as we sat down in a couple chairs next to each other in Ana’s small, empty waiting area. “So, I thought we might take advantage of this opportunity to talk about our gift to Mac and Ana,” brought up Jonas.

  “You mean you didn’t have any plans yet?” I asked in disbelief.

  “I hadn’t been really thinking about it much,” he admitted with an embarrassed smile. “I was hoping you had some idea of something we could give together.”

  I thought about it for a moment, and then nodded. “I’d been planning on going to a little Amish shop on the other side of the downtown area before everything happened. I was going to buy them a quilt for their bed there,” I explained to him. “Except now I can’t go there to get it anymore. But, I could give you directions to get to the place. You could pick one out, and we could split the cost,” I suggested.

  “I have a better idea,” he replied, a mischievous smile forming on his lips. “I’ll go, and take pictures of the quilts and send them to your phone, and we can pick one together.”

  I couldn’t stop myself from laughing at the idea of Jonas going around the store and taking pictures of the quilts there, but I nodded anyway, liking the idea.

  “Alright, you take pictures of all the ones you like, and then send them to me and I’ll tell you which ones I like,” I agreed.

  We spent the next hour or two talking and laughing together before Jonas got up, saying he had to leave in case someone had followed him and became suspicious of his long visit. I sighed, hating the idea of him leaving, but knowing he didn’t have any choice. We embraced again and Jonas held me to him tightly, then kissed me and left, promising to call me soon.

  The next day while I was sitting on my bed playing with Cinder, my phone went off, and I found a picture of a quilt on it. With a smile, I hurried to send him a quick response.

 

                beautiful, but a bit bright I think. anything more subtle?  -b

 

  I waited another couple minutes, and then got another picture. It was darker than the other, but the pattern didn’t really seem right.

 

             what about this one? dont think I should take too many more pics. they     

          dont seem to like it…   -j

 

  I laughed, shaking my head as I imagined Jonas walking around with his cell phone taking pictures of quilts while old Amish women shook their heads at him.

 

     most amish dont approve of pics. pattern of the last one isn’t quite right…any  

  others u like?   -b

 

    explains alot…picky much? kk, here’s another. my fav    -j

 

  I looked at the next picture that showed up and smiled. It was perfect. I recognized the double wedding ring quilt pattern, and thought the colors were perfect for Ana and Mac.

 

         perfect  -b

 

       kk, getting it.  -j

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  “Hey, you girls need to get moving in there,” called Jonas through the door. “You don’t have much more time.” Britney responded by opening the door, but only enough to poke her head out and reply.

  “We still have plenty of time, stop bothering us Jonas Matthews,” she admonished before re-shutting the door. Shaking his head, Jonas turned away from the closed door and made his way back out to where Mac was waiting in the reception area.

  “Are they ready yet?” wondered Mac anxiously when he saw Jonas returning. Jonas gave him a quick shake of his head when he reached him.

  “Not yet. We should probably go back to finish getting ready ourselves. We only have about twenty-five minutes before everything starts up, and you have to be up front, so you can’t be late.” With that, Jonas began to steer Mac in the direction they needed to go, but stopped mid-step at the sight of a few late arrivals.

  “Did you invite DeRuise here?” Jonas demanded from Mac under his breath urgently. “Cause I swear to you, if you did I’ll-“

  “Of course I didn’t! I know we can’t risk having him see Britney. Why would you ever think I invited him?” inquired Mac with surprise. Careful to appear casual about it, Jonas cocked his head towards where DeRuise and a few other men stood near the door. Mac failed to hide his shock at seeing them there, but quickly collected himself enough to go greet them. Cautiously, Jonas remained at his side.

  “Mr. DeRuise. Uh, what are you doing here?” Mac asked lamely. Jonas inwardly cringed at the words. Obviously, Mac had never managed to learn the fine art of tact. He supposed that at least Ana would never have to worry about him hiding his feeling about how she looked in a dress or anything.

  “I came to congratulate you on your wedding. I must admit though, I was hurt to not have received an invitation, but word gets around quickly enough and I heard about it anyway,” DeRuise commented, smiling to show there were no hard feeling about it. “However, despite the fact that I was somehow overlooked when the invitations were sent out, I thought I might stop by and offer my congratulations as well as a small gift regardless. I hope you don’t mind?” he inquired with raised brows.

  “Uh, no, of course not. I’m sorry you weren’t invited. I figured that you’d be too busy to be interested in coming. Will you be staying for the ceremony?” he asked anxiously.

  “Not interested? Why of course I’m interested,” DeRuise laughed. “However, I do have a previous engagement with Mr. Larkin, so I’m afraid I can’t stay.” He turned to Jonas. “Oh, and I hear that your sister is to be the bride, so I suppose congratulations are in order for you as well. You’ll give my regards to your sister?”

  Jonas shifted uncomfortably. “Of course.”

  “Good. I wasn’t aware that you even had a sister before the other day. Although, given all that happened before your father came to work for me, I suppose I can understand his wanting to keep it quiet. Is she older or younger than you?”

  “She’s my older sister.”

  DeRuise nodded and motioned for one of his men to come forward. He joined them, and then handed DeRuise an envelope, which he in turn passed on to Mac.

  “It isn’t much, but I saw it as only fitting I give you a gift despite the fact you no longer work for me,” described DeRuise as Mac looked down at the envelope.

  At that moment, Britney came around a corner behind DeRuise’s back and started heading straight for Jonas. At first, Jonas was so stunned by how beautiful she looked in her soft, light-rose colored dress and the few loose curls that had escaped the fancy style on top of her head; that he momentarily forgot the danger she was walking unsuspectingly into.

  “I suppose this is why you quit. You were planning on settling down into married life and all that,” DeRuise was commenting to Mac, completely oblivious to Britney’s presence only mere yards away from where he stood.

  Catching Britney’s eye, Jonas raised his eyebrows and used his eyes to direct her attention towards DeRuise. She appeared puzzled at first, but when she recognized DeRuise her own bright blue eyes went wide, and she began backing into the direction she’d come. She turned around and, as quickly as she could, without drawing DeRuise’s attention to herself, she went back around the corner, disappearing from sight.

 Meanwhile, Jonas looked to each of DeRuise’s men, searching their faces for clues that any of them had recognized her. It was apparent that all of them had noticed her because their eyes all looked towards where she had disappeared from their view. However, the only thing that Jonas had seen on their faces was acknowledgement of her existence from the two older men and open admiration from the two younger ones. None of them seemed to have realized who she was.

  “Well Jonas?” demanded DeRuise good-naturedly, having apparently been speaking to Jonas without him knowing it.

  “Excuse me?” Jonas asked, returning his attention to DeRuise now that he was sure Britney was safe.

  “Ah, see? I must be right!” declared DeRuise with a triumphant expression. “I asked you if you were planning on marrying soon yourself since you also quit working for me. No doubt your mind was on your own lovely young lady?”

  Jonas’ pulse doubled. Perhaps DeRuise had seen Britney after all, though he’d been sure he hadn’t.

  “That is one young lady I will have to meet. The girl who could tame a Matthews man and convince him to leave the high life behind to settle down. You’ll have to introduce me to her someday,” said DeRuise expectantly.

    Jonas cleared his throat and forced himself to speak. “Well she is something,” he agreed rather stiffly. “But there aren’t any wedding plans as of yet, I assure you.”

  “Well, be sure I receive an invitation when you finally decide to tie the knot,” DeRuise instructed with mock-sternness. A smile soon stole across his face. With a quick wave, he turned from them and departed.

  Jonas released the breath he had been holding since DeRuise had asked him about his “lovely young lady.”

  “Whoa! Ok Jo, I have to say it. That was way too close for my comfort. I mean, she was right there!” Mac exclaimed, practically hyperventilating at the thought. “Thankfully those guys were too busy checking her out or wishing they weren’t there to really think about anything else.”

  “I’d hardly call that a blessing,” Jonas commented dryly. “Come on,” he ordered. “You’re marrying my sister in just ten minutes and you’re still missing your bowtie.”

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  As Britney walked down the aisle alone, Caleb frowned. Hadn’t she mentioned that she was currently dating Ana’s brother? He would have thought she’d have been walking arm in arm with him. Yet there she was, walking alone. She was lovely though, regardless of the fact she was alone. Her hair had been styled up onto the top of her head with stray rebel curls around her face and on the back of her neck. The bodice fit her slight frame perfectly, showing off her lovely figure attractively, but still modestly.

  Soon, the long awaited bride was next, and as they all stood for her entrance, Caleb fixed his eyes expectantly on the door leading into the sanctuary. The doors opened slowly, and out stepped Ana, looking so stunning, the sight stole Caleb’s breath momentarily while he took in her sweeping dress, loose flowing dark ringlets, and excited green eyes easily seen through her veil. However, what caused him to take a sharp intake, was the young man who was escorting her down the aisle.

  The young man’s golden hair fell in soft wavy curls down a bit past his ears, though it was obvious he’d attempted to straighten it out for the occasion. His sparkling sea green eyes, and skin that, though it might appear bronzed from the sun, he knew was actually naturally a very light bronz-ish color, just as his sister’s was. He was tall, but still shorter than Caleb, and his build was slighter too, though he didn’t underestimate the strength contained in him. He walked with an experienced and careful air, but Caleb knew from Britney that he was at most twenty-two.

  The pair continued down the aisle together until they reached the alter, where Jonas kissed her briefly on the cheek, and went to stand next to Mac and his other groomsmen.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  “Do you, Mackenzie William Hanover, take this woman to be you lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, ‘til death do you part?” asked the pastor.

  “I do,” answered Mac as he faced Ana and held both of her hands in his.

 “And do you, Ariana Marie Matthews, take this man, to have and to hold, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, ‘til death do you part?”

  “I do,” she replied solemnly, ignoring the look of surprise that flashed across Mac’s face when he heard her full first name for the first time.

  “Do you have the rings?” Steve, Mac’s best man, withdrew a ring and handed it to Mac while Paige gave Ana a ring as well. They exchanged rings and vows, and soon the pastor pronounced them man and wife and they were kissing. When they parted, the pastor introduced them as Mr. and Mrs. Mackenzie William Hanover for the first time, which was promptly followed by thunderous applause.

  We each took our turns going down the aisle and out of the sanctuary and when it was Jonas’ and my turn; I slipped my hand through his arm and let him lead me out.

  “You look beautiful,” he whispered in my ear.

  “Thanks,” I whispered back, blushing.

  “You’re blushing really looks nice with the color of your dress too,” he observed with his old mischievous grin. “Though, I like it when you blush any time,” he added. I carefully jabbed him with my elbow as we walked out of the sanctuary so that no one would see.

  “Ouch,” he complained, rubbing his side. “That’s not very nice, Britt. I was just giving you a complement.”

  “Stop being a pain or I’ll go stand with Steve and Paige instead,” I threatened.

  “Fine,” he agreed. “Though I’m almost considering taking advantage of having everyone here already and the pastor,” he hinted, glancing at me out of the corner of my eye.

  I opened my mouth to respond, but saw Ana and Mac coming towards us, and quickly closed it.

  “Congratulations!” I congratulated them as they reached us and I hugged Ana tightly and kissed her on the cheek. Mac and Jonas embraced, Jonas offering his own congratulations before they parted. Then Mac hugged me and Ana hugged her brother. Mac and I watched as they continued to hug a bit longer than we did. We could hear them whispering about their parents, and I saw tears threatening to spill from Ana’s eyes. I placed a hand on her arm.

  “Ana, don’t forget, you still have to keep your make-up nice for the pictures,” I reminded her gently, wishing I didn’t have to, but knowing it would take at least an hour if we had to fix her makeup and reapply it. She nodded, pulled away from Jonas, and wiped at her eyes carefully to prevent smudging.

  For the next fifteen minutes, all the guests went through the reception line, congratulating Mac and Ana on their wedding. After that the guests headed to the reception in the church’s gym while the wedding party went back into the sanctuary and spent the next half an hour smiling for all the pictures to be taken, and after we were done inside, the photographer decided to slip outside for a few in the gardens as well.

  “Great, we’re going to freeze!” Kate complained. We’d forgotten to find some sort of wrap for the dresses, so all of us were wearing sleeveless dresses, with low-cut backs and fronts.

  “Stop complaining,” Paige told her. “It’s wonderful out.”

  “It was raining earlier, and the weather channel said that the temp was going to drop,” Kate informed her. As soon we stepped outside, we discovered Kate was right, it was considerably colder than normal for the time of year.

  “Told you so,” she mumbled as everyone exclaimed at the chill. We were soon done however, and everyone began to hurry back into the church. Jonas held me back briefly though, and asked the photographer to take a picture of just the two of us, explaining that he would pay for it himself.

  We stood together under the huge tree all the photos had been taken in front of, and Jonas wrapped his arm around my waist, hugging me close while I rested my head on Jonas’ shoulder at the photographer’s urging. Soon the photo was shot and we went in to join the others.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  Hayden marched into McKenna’s, scanned the place for his target, and spotting him, went to him, grabbed him by his shirt, and pushed him up against the wall.

  “Hey what do you think you’re doing?” cried Ricky with surprise.

  Hayden answered, “You lied, she isn’t with him you idiot.”

  “What? No, she is, I swear she is,” Ricky replied desperately.

  “Well she wasn’t at his place, so then where is she?” Hayden demanded, pushing the man against the wall even harder.

  Ricky groaned in pain. “I don’t know, but I give you my word, he’s got her somewhere, or else, he knows who does.” Hayden released the man with one final shove. Ricky grunted and looked back at Hayden, rubbing the spot on his chest where Hayden had pushed him.

  “If you’re lying to me Ladino, I promise, I will kill you,” pledged Hayden.

  “I swear I’m telling you the truth,” Ricky told him with as much confidence as he could manage.

  “We’ll see.” With that, Hayden strode back out of the place and into the night. He got into his car and slammed his fists against the steering wheel. He was sure if Ladino had been lying, he would have admitted it. Which meant that Matthews did have her and was hiding her somewhere, the question was, where?

  He decided to go back to the local state college. That guy, Brian, had acted off, as if he were trying to hide something. He wasn’t completely convinced Britney wasn’t in their files. He knew that likely as not, if Britney had continued high school, she had probably found a college to attend as well since her father had said that she had been very interested in going before.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  Brian took the stairs up to his apartment two at a time, eager to crash in bed. It was already after 2a.m. and it’d been a full day of studying as well as spending some time with his family, not leaving until late and having a rather long drive to get home. 

  Once he reached the landing, he unlocked the door and went in, closing it behind him. Upon turning on the lights and tossing his backpack to the floor by the door however, he realized that he wasn’t alone.

  “What the hell?!” Brian exclaimed in shock when he turned on the lights and saw the man who had been asking about Britney leaning against the wall across the room from him, smoking a cigarette. “How’d you get in here?” He demanded in a loud voice, beginning to reach for his backpack to grab his cell phone so he could call the police.

  Hayden dumped his cigarette on the hardwood floor and rubbed it into the floor with his shoe. Then, he walked up to Brian with a deadly straight face.

  “Brian,” Hayden said in an emotionless greeting. “The strangest thing happened today. You see, I went in to see you at work, only you weren’t there. That wasn’t what was strange however. You see, I decided to have the girl working there take a look for Britney Larkin, the same girl I asked you to look for, in the files, and there she was, right there in the files, clearly listed as an attending freshman. Now I wondered to myself, how could Brian have missed her? Then I realized that Brian didn’t, that he lied to me.”

  Brian swallowed the lump rising in his throat as he tried to control his fear at Hayden’s threatening presence. This wasn’t good, not good at all. One thing was very clear, this wasn’t the kind of guy you crossed and got away with it. Still, he didn’t regret not admitting to having seen Britney’s file. At least she and Jonas had been warned that this guy was looking for her at the school and would be on their guard against him. He was grateful for that at any rate.

  “You shouldn’t have lied to me Brian. You see, there are penalties when a person crosses me, and I’m afraid you’re going to have to face the consequences of your actions,” Hayden told him with fake sympathy. “Of course, I could perhaps spare you, if you tell me everything that you know that is. Why did you cover for her, and where is she? I checked the address on her paperwork, and it’s more than useless.”

  Thank heaven Britney hadn’t put her real address on her paperwork, Brian thought. He lifted his chin defiantly and glared at Hayden with resolve. “I’m not going to tell you anything,” he stated firmly, though inside he was terrified. Still, if this guy was going to beat the life out of him, he wasn’t about to go down a sniveling coward bartering for mercy. “I don’t betray a friend to spare myself.”

  Hayden shook his head slowly and looked at Brian as if he were dealing with a naughty child. “Brian, Brian, Brian. Don’t be a fool. I’m not going to hurt Britney, there’s no need for you to be needlessly harmed,” he chided. “Now, I’m going to give you another chance. Where is she?”

  “Go to hell,” Brian spat out rebelliously.

  “I’m afraid I must insist on your going first,” Hayden commented, speedily withdrawing his gun. “Do you know what this is Brian? It’s a 460XVR revolver,” he informed a horrified Brian, who was staring in panic at the terrifying weapon. Brian had been expecting to get a possible black eye and a bruised rib or two, but obviously, this guy had other plans. He was more of a psycho than either Britney or even Jonas realized.

  “And, I can guarantee that this, this is going to hurt quite a bit,” said Hayden without a hint of compassion.



© 2011 A.Noel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ricky sounds like a great character. Loved this chapter!! Jonas is still my favorite one though. Just saying.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
1 Review
Added on March 14, 2011
Last Updated on March 14, 2011


Author

A.Noel
A.Noel

Linwood, MI



About
Hey, I'm a complex perfectionist, and i think it shows in my writing. I recently had to take a break for awhile (as much as a compulsive writer can at least) but I'm back again! I now have my first .. more..

Writing
I, You, We. I, You, We.

A Poem by A.Noel


All Chapters All Chapters

A Chapter by A.Noel