Epilogue

Epilogue

A Chapter by A.Noel

Epilogue

  “How’d it go?” Jonas asked anxiously as Alaric entered Jonas’ bedroom. “What’d he say?”

  Alaric smirked satisfactorily. “He accepted Kara and me as a team together,” he informed his younger brother.

  “What about Britney and me?” he wondered aloud. “What did he say about us?”

  “Kara and I made it a requirement that the two of you be allowed to leave in order for us to agree to work for him,” Alaric explained, leaning against the side of the doorway, arms crossed over his chest. “He agreed, though he plans to talk to you. He’ll likely want you to stick around for Britney’s sake.”

  Jonas nodded. “I want to give her more time to heal and work with that doctor. I hate to have to admit it, but DeRuise was right, he really seems to know what he’s doing. As for Britney…her eyes aren’t the only injuries she still needs to recover from.” She still had a number of nasty bruises that hadn’t finished healing as of yet and was still very sore in general.

  Alaric stood up straight, preparing to leave. “Seeing again or not though, the two of you ought to clear out no later than a month from now Jonas. I’d stay for Christmas and maybe New Year’s, but then leave,” instructed Alaric before leaving him to himself.

  After Alaric had gone, Jonas stood. He decided to get his talk with his uncle over with sooner rather than later, even though Alaric hadn’t said anything about DeRuise having wanted to speak with him immediately. He headed down the halls that led from his room to DeRuise’s main office. Raising his hand, he was just about to knock when he froze, hearing DeRuise deep in conversation in the next room. He glanced around to see if anyone else was watching and, seeing no one, he pressed his ear to the door to try to hear what was being said clearer.

  “Everything’s going fine,” announced DeRuise confidently. “There’s no real need for you to return from your trip early, Lawrence. I’m handling everything.” There was a long pause in the conversation, during which Jonas’ head reeled in disbelief of what he was actually hearing. Lawrence? Surely it couldn’t possibly be…

  “I’ve finally been able to recover your daughter,” said DeRuise, breaking the silence. “Unfortunately, however, Britney took a bit of a fall while attempting to rescue Jonas and his brother with the help of Alaric’s girlfriend. They failed of course, but she fell on the stairs and hit her head rather hard. Currently, she cannot see anything, but Dr. Roberts is highly optimistic about her recovering it, and soon.”

  Another long pause. It was true then, though it seemed completely impossible to him. Jonas replayed the moment when Lawrence Larkin almost killed him, but ended up having Alaric put a bullet into his head before he could shoot Jonas. He’d died instantly. There was no questioning that. So how was DeRuise talking on the phone with Britney’s father at this very moment?

  DeRuise sighed. “Well I’ll be expecting your arrival then.”

  Hearing that it sounded as if he were wrapping up the phone call, Jonas hurried away so as not to be caught eavesdropping outside the door. Lawrence Larkin’s far-from-expected return from the dead had the potential to ruin everything. Britney’s father wouldn’t just allow her to go off with Jonas, even if DeRuise allowed it. Still, more important at the moment, how was he going to tell Britney her father was still alive?

 



© 2011 A.Noel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

VERY CREATIVE

AMAZING

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
1 Review
Added on March 14, 2011
Last Updated on March 14, 2011


Author

A.Noel
A.Noel

Linwood, MI



About
Hey, I'm a complex perfectionist, and i think it shows in my writing. I recently had to take a break for awhile (as much as a compulsive writer can at least) but I'm back again! I now have my first .. more..

Writing
I, You, We. I, You, We.

A Poem by A.Noel


All Chapters All Chapters

A Chapter by A.Noel