The Upper Hand

The Upper Hand

A Chapter by FantasyLover24601
"

Switching gears a bit here to tell part of the story from Regina's perspective!

"

Regina couldn’t believe that she had the most dark and evil spell that Rumpelstiltskin had ever conjured in her possession. It had the power to take away the happiness of all the people in their world. The only person she wanted to suffer was Snow White, but Snow had proved herself to be rather competent when it came to surviving in the woods. And to add insult to injury, she had even captured the heart of Prince Charming, who had managed to get out of his arranged marriage to King Midas’s daughter because he had broken the spell on Princess Abigail’s true love, Frederick. True, King George, Prince Charming’s “father” was going to cut off his “son’s” head, but Regina had her own plans to make the Prince and Snow both suffer. To do that though, she would have to trade the spell Rumpelstiltskin had given her for the sleeping spell that Maleficent had. However, Regina could always get the dark spell back if Charming managed to break the spell she put on Snow. Before she could get the sleeping spell, Regina had to make sure that King George wouldn’t kill his "son" or her plans would fall apart.

            Regina called for her carriage and guards to come with her. While she was waiting for the carriage to be made ready, she looked towards the highest tower in her castle and smiled cruelly. Belle was imprisoned up there. If this dark spell Rumpel had given to her turned out to be a dud or if he tried to take her power away in the place where the spell would send them, then she would take back the lie she had told him about Belle dying and kill her in front of him. It would be hard to imprison Rumpel so that he would be unable to stop her, but not impossible. Even though kidnapping and imprisoning Belle had been all too easy, Regina had noticed that she had become silent and thoughtful during the past few weeks. If Belle was planning to escape, she would have a very difficult time. Regina had made certain of that. The carriage was finally ready and they rode fast to King George’s castle.

            When they arrived, Prince Charming had his head secured under a guillotine blade that was released. Regina quickly turned the blade into harmless water with her magic before it could reach his neck. The crowd that had gathered for his death gasped and looked around.

            “What is the meaning of this?” King George asked angrily. He looked up and saw Regina walking in with her cohorts.

            “Sorry to drop in on you,” she told him, though not really apologetic about her actions.

            “Regina. What do you want?” he asked her, not exactly sure what she had planned.

            “I want the man you pretend is your son. And I’m prepared to pay any riches Midas promised you in return for him.”

            “What do you plan to do to him?”

            “Oh, I promise he’ll suffer. Far more than some swift and simple beheading.”

            “How?”

            “By using him to destroy his one true love. By using him to bring an end to Snow White.”

            “Very well. Take him. But you had better not break your promise to pay for him.”

            “You’ll have the amount within the week.”

            The guards tied Charming’s hands behind his back and walked him over to a spare horse they brought along. They secured him to the horse and Regina stepped into the carriage. The guards formed a ring around Charming to prevent him from trying to make an escape by riding off.  They made their way quickly to her castle. The guards took Charming off the horse and Regina followed them into her dungeons. She directed them towards the cell that would correspond with the magic of her mirrors. She would have to take care of placing one of those mirrors in King George’s dungeon to communicate with Snow when she tried to rescue her Prince. After the mirror was in place, she went to see Maleficent and traded the dark curse for the sleeping curse. Maleficent was more than willing to exchange the spells and promised that she would keep the dark curse safe in the orb on her staff. Regina made quick work out of poisoning a red apple with the curse. Before she would use it on Snow White, she decided to torment Prince Charming.

            Charming was sitting in his cell when Regina walked down with two of her guards following.

            “Leave us,” she told the guards. The guards turned and left the two of them alone. Regina opened the cell door with magic and Charming stood up as she entered.

            “What do you want?” he asked annoyed. Regina looked him up and down.

            “Hm…I suppose I see the allure,” she said, reaching out to touch him. He batted her hand away. “I wonder if you’ll be quite so incorruptible after your precious Snow is gone.”

            “Whatever she did to you, leave her alone and take my life instead.”

            “Oh, who said anything about taking her life? Oh, no. I have a far more satisfying brand of punishment for her,” she said with a cruel, satisfied grin. She turned away and began to walk out of the cell, still holding her grin. Regina reached into the leather satchel she had with her and pulled out the poisoned apple to show to Charming. She heard him running to the entrance of the cell and let out an evil little giggle as the door closed magically behind her, keeping him trapped.

            Later that night, Regina was lurking around the dungeons, hoping to hear Snow talking with Charming through the magic mirror.

            “Is this always going to be our life? Taking turns finding each other?” she heard Snow asking in a resigned tone. She saw that Snow and Charming had placed their hands on the mirror in the exact same spots and Charming let out a little chuckle.

            “We’ll be together, I know it. Have faith,” Charming said with conviction. Regina then used her magic to clear away Charming’s image with purple smoke and have hers take his place. She couldn’t help laughing at Snow’s shocked expression.

            “I just had to stop you. I have no interest in cleaning tongue marks off my mirror.”

            “Let him go. Your fight is with me,” Snow said with a hint of anger and desperation in her tone.

            “My thoughts exactly. Have you ever heard of a parley? We break off all this messy fighting and have a little talk. Just you and me. Come unarmed.”

            “Where do I meet you?”

            “Where it all began,” Regina answered coldly. She stepped away from the mirror. It would be a long journey to the stables where Snow White had first caught her kissing Daniel the stable boy. But it wouldn’t matter if it took all night. She could sleep in the carriage.

            The next day dawned cloudy as Regina reached the stables. Snow wasn’t there yet but that didn’t stop Regina from getting out of the carriage and walking into the stalls. She didn’t have long to wait for Snow.

            “Hello, Regina,” she heard from behind. She turned and Snow was standing there, arms up and hands open to show that she wasn’t carrying any weapons.

            “Follow me,” Regina said and swept past Snow, leading her to a field and up a hill.

            “Do you remember when I ran down your runaway horse, Snow? Do you remember when I saved your life?” Regina asked when they reached the top of the hill.

            “Of course. It all looks the same.”

            “Not quite. This is new,” Regina said and they stopped at a grave with a heart etched in it.

            “Is that…” Snow questioned.

            “A grave. Daniel’s grave.”

            “Daniel? I thought…”

            “He ran away? I told you that to spare your feelings out of…kindness. But he died because of you.”

            “I-I’m… I’m sorry.”

            “I’m sorry, too. But nothing can change what happened. What you did. You promised to keep my secret. You promised, but you lied.”

            “I was very young, and your mother-”

            “She ripped his heart out because of you. Because you couldn’t listen to me.”

            “You took my father. Haven’t we both suffered enough?”

            “No,” Regina answered and she pulled the apple out of the leather satchel.

            “What is that?” Snow asked, sounding like she knew what Regina had planned.

            “It’s just a morsel. Did you know that apples stand for health and wisdom?”

            “So, why do I get the feeling that one might kill me?”

            “It won’t kill you. No, what it will do is far worse. Your body will be your tomb, and you’ll be in there with nothing but dreams formed of your own regrets.”

            “And you’re going to force me to eat it.”

            “Of course not. It wouldn’t work anyway. The choice is yours. It must be taken willingly.”

            “And why would I do that?”

            “Because, if you refuse the apple, your Prince, your Charming, will be killed.”

            “No…” Snow said, sounding like she was going to cry.

            “As I said, the choice is yours.”

            “I take that apple, and he lives? That’s the deal you want to make?”

            “With all my heart,” Regina told her in the coldest tone. Snow took the apple from her.

            “Then, congratulations. You’ve won,” Snow said. She took a bite out of the apple and within seconds, she collapsed to the ground. The apple rolled away from her hand. Regina left her lying there, feeling the heady happiness that came with finally having the upper hand.

            Snow White’s friends found her and Regina watched them through the mirror. Since she felt like gloating, she decided to let Charming see what had happened to his beloved Snow. However, Regina had not foreseen her Huntsman helping Charming to escape. She tried to stop him from reaching Snow by trapping him in the Infinite Forest, but Rumpelstiltskin struck a deal with him and Charming escaped. He reached Snow and true love’s kiss had broken the sleeping curse. They had taken back the kingdom, together and soon planned their wedding. But, Regina wasn’t done with them yet. She interrupted their wedding.

            “Sorry I’m late,” she said as she entered. Two guards tried to stop her, but she pushed them away with magic.

            “It’s the Queen! Run,” Doc said. Snow drew Charming’s sword and pointed it at her.

            “She’s not the Queen anymore. She’s nothing more than an evil witch,” Snow said angrily. Charming took her hand and lowered the sword.

            “No, no, no. Don’t stoop to her level. There’s no need,” he told her and took the sword from her. “You’re wasting your time. You’ve already lost. And I will not let you ruin this wedding,” he said, stepping protectively in front of Snow.

            “Oh, I haven’t come here to ruin anything. On the contrary, dear, I’ve come to give you a gift.”

            “We want nothing from you,” Snow told her.

            “But you shall have it! My gift to you is this happy, happy day. But tomorrow, my real work begins. You’ve made your vows, now I make mine. Soon, everything you love, everything all of you love, will be taken from you. Forever. And out of your suffering, will rise my victory. I shall destroy your happiness, if it is the last thing I do,” Regina threatened. She started to leave.

            “Hey!” Charming yelled and Regina turned. He threw his sword at her, but she dissipated away with magic before it could hit her. That evening, Regina fought and won against Maleficent for the dark curse. She thought that sacrificing the heart of her beloved horse would be enough to make it work, but Rumpel told her that it needed to be the heart of the thing she loved most. Unfortunately, Daniel had been that and he was dead, thanks to Snow. However, Regina ripped the heart out of her father, Henry and finally, the curse swept over the realm, transporting everyone to a land without magic, including Belle who was still locked away in the tower.

**

            Storybrooke, Maine: Day after Valentine’s.

            It had been quite the amazing day for Regina Mills, once known as the Evil Queen Regina. She finally got Mr. Gold to reveal that he was actually Rumpelstiltskin. Even though he had said that he was the one with the real power, she still had someone trapped that would give her the upper hand again, if need be. In fact, she was on her way to the Storybrooke Hospital to see that someone. Mr. French was sitting in the waiting room, in a wheelchair, still in pain after Mr. Gold had beaten him. Regina walked past him towards a door with a keypad and entered the correct code. She headed down to the psychiatric ward in the basement. A nurse sitting at the desk stood up when she entered and Regina handed her a red rose.

            “Pretty,” the nurse said, taking the rose.

            “Well, I know how hard you work. Has anyone been to see her?”

            “No, ma’am. Not today, not ever.”

            Regina nodded and walked down a corridor with several doors on each side and past a patient who was mopping the floor. She stopped at one of the doors and lifted the sliding hatch to look inside, revealing Belle sitting in the padded room. Regina began to smile evilly and Belle looked up at her, dazed at first. However, as Regina continued to smile, Belle’s expression turned into one of fear.



© 2012 FantasyLover24601


Author's Note

FantasyLover24601
I know this chapter is longer than the previous one, but some stage setting was needed with Regina! All of you have been reviewing this story are great and all, but you're only getting just a small part of Once Upon A Time through my fanfic. I think you should all purchase the episodes from iTunes or seek them out on free video playing websites on the Internet because the show is awesome and everyone reviewing seems to like this story, so why deprive yourselves from something awesome? Just think about it. Please give me honest and constructive feedback like always!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You're in bit of a hurry.
Some passages are more like your thoughts on what happens (as if you're coming back later to truly write it out), you should either rework them into proper passages or cut this chapter up into at least two.
The story is great though. ^_^

Posted 11 Years Ago


I don't like Regina:( shes mean... I keep picturing her as an old hag and it makes me laugh though:) so It's not all bad:P A long and great chapter^_^
~Dreamer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

It's quite all right. I myself take pleasure from other people's misery from time to time. It's call.. read more
Timeless-Chan

11 Years Ago

ahahaha! omg that song is GREAT!:P:P:P
FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

Yes it is!
this is really long... and I thought some of it are just summarized... But I understand and I'm sorry i cannot really watch it... I don't own the laptop just a sharer of it... It's still interesting though with the blend with the Modern World with the old one... It's great(: keep me updated as usual...

Posted 11 Years Ago


FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

No need to apologize. And I did summarize some parts of different episodes in this chapter. Otherwis.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 16, 2012
Last Updated on August 16, 2012


Author

FantasyLover24601
FantasyLover24601

Troy, MI



About
I love to read pretty much anything fantasy based and I also love writing a story set in that genre! I am my own worst critic when it comes to my writing, so I am hoping to get as much help as I can t.. more..

Writing