Daddy's Little Girl

Daddy's Little Girl

A Chapter by SweetWriter88
"

Every father watches his daughter grow before he gives her to someone who swears to protect her. But even still, even as a bride, she'll always be Daddy's Little Girl.

"

Over the years I watched my little girl grow. She’d been my angel from the moment she was born and I never wanted to think about her leaving me.

I knew the time would come when I had to let her go, but that didn’t mean I sat around waiting for it. I threatened every male she brought through the door and for awhile it worked, until she brought him home.

I threatened him, spoke to him, and made sure would stand by my daughter and he swore to me that he would. But still, knowing that and being grateful for that didn’t make it any easier to walk her down the aisle. Nor did it stop the tears as I gave her away.

Now, as I’m standing here smiling at my daughter as I twirled her around, I feel at a loss for words. She’s happy but I’m empty.

“Dad?” She questioned softly, her greenish brown (but not quite hazel) eyes showing her concern.

I gave her a reassuring smile. “It’s nothing. I’m just thinking.”

“About?” She prompted.

“It seems like only last week you were born and clutching my hand tightly. Then the next few days came and you were a flower girl at your aunt’s wedding. Now it feels like just yesterday you were my precious teenager girl with big dreams. And now there’s today. You’re all grown up and you look every bit the bride your mother and I hoped you’d be. And while I’m happy for you, I’m still not fully ready to give my little girl away.”

“Dad…” She hummed, laying her head on my chest. “I’ll always be your little girl.”

As we pulled away and bowed to the crowd, the DJ called for me to do the toast.

I was given a glass of champagne as I made my way to the stage.

I took the microphone and sighed into it.

“You know, I was meant to come up with some kind of funny speech about the bride and groom to make you all laugh and tear up a bit, but I can’t. I mean I like Cal, trust me I do, but how the hell does a grown man give away his daughter? I feel like her life has just passed me by in a week, you know?”

I saw some of the older men in the crowd nod as they glanced at who seemed to be their daughters.

“It’s like she was born last week, crying and puffy eyed, yet so innocent. I wanted to protect her, keep her safe. It’s my job. I spent so long threatening whatever boy she brought back that I was ready for Cal. He came in and he said; “Man, I swear to protect your daughter.” He didn’t flinch and it was clear he meant it. Now they’re married and it’s like I’ve had all the time in the world to get used to their being together, but I’m still not ready to let go. So I wrote this poem for her, because it’s the only thing that I can think of that she’ll keep forever.”

To my darling girl.
I’ve watched you grow for so long.
From the little ankle-biter toddler, to the tomboyish teen.
I remember the times you made me play dress up with you and pour juice instead of tea.
Those times are gone though, and memories remain.

But now you’re grown, you’ve got someone who’ll take care of you and give what I can’t.
I’m not fine with it, but it’s part of being a parent.

Having you and watching you grow I’ve learned two things if nothing else.
The first is that if you know what you’re doing as a parent, you’re not worth the title. Being a parent is about making mistakes and growing as you raise your child.           Making mistakes is human, and it means that they learn from watching you.

The second is something only fathers who have a daughter understand. You raise them, you watch them grow, and eventually you give them away to someone better than yourself.

So I’m giving my baby girl away, on one condition. You’re still daddy’s little girl even if I’m all alone in my reminiscing.

I watched as my daughter wiped away her tears, standing and coming to me in a hug.

“I’m always going to be your little girl dad, I can’t just let you go, especially after all that.” She lifted her head and gave me a watery smile.

Her words echoed throughout the reception venue, and I put the microphone back to my lips.

“This goes out to you Cal, I’m entrusting my daughter to you. And I’m only one call away.” He nodded which made me smile. “Now, I’d like to congratulate my son and daughter. May you marriage be filled with smiles and your down make your ups higher. I pray that every fight brings you closer and makes your marriage stronger. Cheers!”

Glasses were raised as everyone drank some  of their champagne, some people even managing to cheer or clap as they did.

My daughter on the other stayed glued to my side. “Let me stay like this for a bit longer. I can hug Cal for a lifetime, but when I move I know I’ll miss your bear hugs the most.”

I lifted her up and spun her around laughing as she giggled wildly. These are the times I’ll miss the most.
___

Every father watches his daughter grow before he gives her to someone who swears to protect her. But even still, even as a bride, she'll always be Daddy's Little Girl ~ Julianna Knight



© 2016 SweetWriter88


Author's Note

SweetWriter88
Unedited!

I attempted to make this a heartwarming father daughter thing, but I'm not sure how that turned out...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
Added on May 3, 2016
Last Updated on May 3, 2016
Tags: Daddy, Daddy's, Little, Girl


Author

SweetWriter88
SweetWriter88

About
Hi there, I'm Jillyane, but my pen name is Julianna Knight. I'm a teen to mature writer and I usually write fantasy and really anything fiction. I joined WritersCafe because I want to branch out an.. more..

Writing