Chapter 3:  Just Crime

Chapter 3: Just Crime

A Chapter by Stranghill Olganis

Just Crime:

     Having entered the city, I had a boost in confidence.  I could do this...  And it wouldn't be half as hard as I thought it would be.  I ignored the other people of the city, no need to attract attention to myself without reason.  I simply made a beeline for the radio tower. 

 

      When I reached the front door, I was faced with two security guards.  Large people, both of them.  Not the kind I'd want to take on in a fight, so I'd have to find another way.  "I'm here for an important meeting with your employer," I said, in as professional a tone as possible.  The guards just shrugged and opened the door.

 

     "Whatever, buddy," The guard on my left said, leaning against the wall after opening the door.  Feeling slightly embarrassed at over-preparing, I entered the building.  It was noisy.  Really noisy.  There was a lot of bustling around, the next broadcast was about to start soon.  Perfect.  I was pretty much unnoticed until I walked to one of the few people standing still and tapped his shoulder.

 

     "What?  Who let you in here?  Damned security isn't worth s**t," He said, with a look that seemed to go right through me, and the wall, straight to the guards who had let me in.  

 

     "Yes, the guards did.  Listen, I'm doing some important research, and I need to know:  how far does your broadcasting range go?" I asked.  The man tossed me a glance showing his annoyance, but decided to answer anyway, though not looking at me anymore.  

 

     "We hit just about every part of the world that gets radio.  There are a few dead zones in some of the less imporrtant areas, a few zones in Asia, a few zones in Australia, just check the map there, it should show ya," The man made a loose gesture towards a map on one of the walls, outlining the zones the radio station broadcasted to.  I didn't bother looking towards it though.  I had the information I needed.  Things began quieting down, and I realized that the broadcast was just about to start.  I put my hand in my pocket.

 

      "Everyone down!  I'm taking over this station!"  I shouted, pulling out the gun.  At first, it was stunned silence, almost of disbelief, then utter panic.  I saw the door open and the security guards walk in, I immediately pointed my gun at them.  "Weapons?" I asked, glancing at the others in the station as they lowered themselves to their stomachs.  The security guards nodded nervously, and I gestured with my gun to the ground.  They slowly pulled out their handguns and placed them to the ground.  They were rather stupid.  I wasn't a good enough shot to take them both out if they had decided to put up a fight, but then again, they didn't know that.

 

     "Alright, now keep the broadcast running, I'm making an announcement.  When I'm done, you can all go back to normal.  If you report me, don't think I'll hesitate to come back here and take each and every one of you out.  If you don't report me, you'll never see me again.  Understood?" Some shaky nods from the workers.  Good enough.  "Now first, answer some questions for me.  You," I pointed the gun at the man I had talked to earlier.  "Got a car?" He nodded.  "Good.  You'll be driving me to the nearest city.  Understood?" He nodded.  "Okay, now the rest of you, take out your wallets and put three dollars in front of you.  You're making a donation." Everyone obeyed, the security guards included.  Pathetic, really.  I took the money carefully, glancing around to make sure nobody was making any moves.  After I collected the movie, I went into the booth and sat down, the man originally going to speak now on the floor.  I faced the microphone, and began speaking,

 

     "Hello, everyone.  Instead of the usual broadcast, I am sending a message.  There is an organization known as I.C.E, and what they do...  It has to be stopped!  Some of you out there may recall being in a box for part of your life.  Being let out into the real world at some point in time.  You're all being used!  I probably don't have much time before they send people after me, so I need your help.  All of you who think you've been subject to I.C.E, try and find 'The I.C.E. Box Man.'  I don't know if they're listening to this now, so be wary.  I'll be able to prove my points when we meet, and don't tust anyone who cannot.  It's a lot to ask, but if we don't stop I.C.E now, they'll continue using human beings as their puppets for years to come!  We have to st-" Static buzzed from the microphone, and immediately I knew that I.C.E had been listening, and they had stopped my broadcast.  The people in the studio stared at me with bewilderment.  

 

     "I apologize for what I had to do to all of you, but I'm afraid that my cause supercedes the law.  I escaped from I.C.E with some information about them.  Unfortunately, I don't have much, and I have nothing but myself, this pistol, and this pin." I pulled a small pin out of my pocket, on the pin it said

"I.C.E S4000"

     But the I.C.E was all I needed.  The S most likely stood for subject, and I was the 4000th.  That was my proof for the other I.C.E subjects.  "I have no money, which is why I had to rob you all.  I really didn't want to have to take this route, but it was my only choice.  I consider it a crime in the name of justice, but I don't assume you to feel the same.  Now then, I need to get to the nearest city to avoid any problems.  Ready?" I loked at the man I had designated as my driver.  He began standing up when I threw a hand his direction and turned to face someone else who was already standing up.

 

     "I'm from I.C.E..." It was a woman.  She wasn't very tall, about five-foot-three, guessing.  Dark hair, green eyes, slender.  I realized I was analyzing her, and shook my head, only to remember that I didn't even know what I looked like.  I hadn't looked in a mirror or other reflective surface since my escape.  I only knew I was significantly taller than this girl , my skin was pale, and I had black hair, or at least black bangs.  

 

     "I remember...  I remember being in a box...  It was strange...  I was...  taught, I guess... to look at everything.  To take in my surroundings at all times...  I'm just an experiment?" There was a look of worry in her eyes.  She no longer feared me, she was looking to me for help...  

 

     "No.  You're not.  They used you as an experiment, but you're a human being just like everyone else here.  That's why we have to stop I.C.E.  Humans are not just means to an end!" I turned back to the man to drive me, and motioned for him to stnad up.  Before I could say anything, he put up a hand.

 

     "Maybe I'm a fool, but, well... that girl there doesn't sound like she's lying, and neither do you.  I won't call the cops on ya, and I'll take ya where you want to go.  But you don't want to go to the nearest city, that place is a hell-hole.  I doubt any of those 'experiments' would stay there.  I'll take you to Dennerville, if you really want, but if you ended up here, and Susan here ended up here, then I think a lot of you guys are here.  It only makes sense, right?" I was shocked at how compliant he was, especially considering how he was when I had first entered the studio.  It seemed the others were a little confused also, all staring at him with quizzical looks. 

 

     "Not that I'm not grateful, but... why the sudden change of heart?" I asked him, and he shrugged.

 

     "I'm sick of the daily routine.  Every day I come to this station and tell everyone what to do, and I'm sick of it.  It's... well... boring!" The people still looked at him quizically, and even I was a little frightened of how odd it was.  But, crazy or not, he seemed to have good intentions, so for now I'd trust him... but not too much.  I turned back to the woman.

 

     "So your name's Susan? " She nodded.  "Alright.  And yours?" I turned to the man.

 

     "Mathew Pendrix.  Call me Matt.  And are we supposed to call you...  I.C.E Box Man?" I noticed that there was a hint of laughter in his voice, and I didn't blame him, it was a little odd.

 

     "I'll go by John Smith," I said.  The most generic name possible.  

 

     "They didn't give you a name?" Susan asked.  I nodded, then looked at all the people on the ground.  "All of you can get back to the way things were, though I think you just lost your manager.  Remember, don't call the police, or things will get bad.  Very bad." I warned, and walked out, Susan and Matt following.  

 

     Things were looking up.



© 2009 Stranghill Olganis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on February 22, 2009


Author

Stranghill Olganis
Stranghill Olganis

CA



About
Yo. I'm a video game/computer/book/game/t.v./movie/warhammer(fantasy)/dog nerd/geek. When it comes to certain things (in and out of writing) I prefer Vampires, stealth, fantasy in general, and actio.. more..

Writing