Chapter 4:  A Short-Lived Scheme

Chapter 4: A Short-Lived Scheme

A Chapter by Stranghill Olganis

A Short-Lived Scheme

We were exiting the radio station when I noticed that we had raised a bit of alarm.  People were staring, but no cops... not yet...  We said nothing, and simply walked away from the studio at a brisk pace.  When we were out of public view, I realized something wasn't right, so I led Matt and "Susan" down an empty alleyway.  I immediately felt a tension in the air.  Matt looked somewhat fearful, which made sense.  I still didn't understand why he was on my side at all, but he wasn't the one I was worried about.  The tension grew, and most of it came from "Susan".  Her footsteps were getting louder... more pronounced.  Now or never.

 

I spun around on my heel and pulled out my pistol, only to see "Susan's" hand coming up holding a knife.  I quickly grabbed her knife-hand and twisted my body along with her arm.  She let out a yelp of shock and pain, and I saw the knife drop.  I stomped my foot on the knife when it landed on the ground, and brought my gun to "Susan's" head.  "I wonder just what you were supposed to become, had you not escaped, because it wasn't anything standard..." She said calmly.

 

"I don't buy it.  I don't think I.C.E could just let its subjects walk away with memories about the boxes.  I don't buy i at all," I said accusingly.  Susan's eyes lowered and she sighed,

 

"I screwed up, huh?  Alright, no need to get hasty," I had brought the gun closer, and flipped the safety off.  "Listen, I'll come clean.  I received a call from an unknown number not long before you showed up at the studio.  A few hours, maybe.  It was a voice I recognized.  One that I knew I was supposed to obey.  One that was... part of me.  It told me that if I saw someone who matches your description, I was to... discreetly kill you, basically.  But... after I heard your announcement...  I don't actually remember being in the box.  I just said that because I assumed it would insure you taking me with you.  I want to come with you to learn more about I.C.E.  I'm pretty sure I was a subject, it would only make sense.  They thought I was their tool to kill you with, but I guess they overestimated their own power... I lied, yes, but I'm still on your side, John," She didn't show any fear, only calm resolution.  I was impressed.

 

It was only then that I remembered Matt.  He was just staring at the gun in fear, looking from me to "Susan" with panicked eyes.  "Say, what's your actual name, anyway?" I asked her, and she shrugged.  

 

"I remember that I'm supposed to be Susan, and that's it.  So Susan it is," She answered.  She, too, noticed Matt with a look of small surprise, and chuckled.  "Are you sure you want to come with us?  You aren't much of a fighter..." She noted, and Matt, put his head in his hands.

 

"I don't know... I just don't like the monotony, and I don't like the injustice...  Maybe it's a mid-life-crisis..." Matt responded, I couldn't help but laugh a little.  

 

"Head back to the studio, Matt.  This isn't your journey.  I should be doing this with I.C.E Subjects only.  It's our fight," I said, and Matt slowly nodded. 

 

"Well, keep some of my money...  You guys need it more than I do," He said, and I took some money he gave me a few twenty dollar bills.  He then set off walking.

 

"A little weird... wasn't it?" Susan asked me, as we began walking to nowhere in particular. 

 

"A little.  But come on, we have to find some more subjects...  Now what's the best way?"



© 2009 Stranghill Olganis


Author's Note

Stranghill Olganis
this and all other chapters are subject to not only revision but complete re-writing... be warned.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on February 26, 2009


Author

Stranghill Olganis
Stranghill Olganis

CA



About
Yo. I'm a video game/computer/book/game/t.v./movie/warhammer(fantasy)/dog nerd/geek. When it comes to certain things (in and out of writing) I prefer Vampires, stealth, fantasy in general, and actio.. more..

Writing