Child of Nature

Child of Nature

A Story by George Coombs
"

A story for children that everyone might enjoy

"

Child of Nature 22/10/06

Goodnight darling, sleep well”

Goodnight Mum, goodnight Dad”

Rose had been named after her Grandmother and was their only child. Mum and Dad loved her dearly and knew she was a very special and precious girl. They were fortunate to be living in a quiet country village, plenty of fresh air and space. Fields and trees as far as Rose’s eyes could see. Cattle, Horses, squirrels,

Hedgehogs, many lovely flowers, Rose and her family knew them all. Mum and Dad walked slowly downstairs again Rose began coughing.

Bless her, she’s had that awful cough for ages y’know Dad” said Mum “I must say, I’m very worried.”

So am I Mum, medicines seem to help her but only up to a point”

Turning, Mum went back upstairs to Rose and found her sitting up in her bed sipping water.

I’m ok Mum” Rose said quietly “We had such a very lovely day today”

They had enjoyed a picnic down by a nearby river. If there was one thing that Rose loved very much to do it was to be out with Mum and Dad and have the time to just sit with them and look at how lovely the countryside was.

I do love it here, I know it‘ll be alright and I don’t want you and dear old dad worrying, I love you and know you love me and I feel so…sort of…gathered and all lovely and safe.”

Mum kissed her gently on the forehead and settled her down. A little more coughing then Rose drifted into sleep. Downstairs Mum and Dad were glad of the country quietness as they sat in the living room sipping a cup of tea, all they could hear was the clock ticking on the wall. Soon they went up the slightly creaking stairs to bed. The moon draped the land below in soft silvern light. Occasional traffic, a dog barked. Rose stirred from sleep seeming to feel a gentle hand on her shoulder.

Who are you?” she asked

A child stood by Rose’s bedside; she wore a white robe and was golden and glowing. Rose heard birds calling, Blackbirds, Gulls and even a Nightingale. The child smiled.

Rose, I am the golden child of all nature”

A glowing rainbow surrounded the girl, Rose smiled.

Behold the rainbow, all its colours merge into the white of purity, goodness and truth.”

Why have you come?” Rose asked

You are our precious Rose who loves nature and all of nature’s children love you and have come to make you well.”

But, what’s your name?”

Name, I have many names and, my dear one, they are only words, they point to people but do not say who they really are.”

Still the rainbow seemed to gently glow, the birds filled the room with song and a pure white dove flew in and settled at the foot of Rose’s bed.

The cough has now gone, you are well again and, from the very heart of creation we bring you peace and our love.”

Thankyou so much”

As soon as rose’s head touched the pillow she was asleep. Morning came; Mum and Dad opened their eyes.

I wonder how our Rose is,” said Dad

I’ve not heard her coughing at all,” said Mum

I’m fine”

They sat up, there; at the foot of their bed was Rose happy and smiling.



George Coombs (566 words)





© 2017 George Coombs


Author's Note

George Coombs
AI've only ever done a few children's things so am especially intes you'll see from the drested in feedbackate I wrote this quite a whle ago,

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Based on your lovely descriptions, this would make a beautiful short animated film. Not Disney-ish, but more like some short Asian animated films I've seen, but not anime, DANG! I can't remember right this minute, but as I read it, I saw your story in that style. Mother Nature is aptly named as she is a Mother and cares and heals her children. Beautiful imagery. Well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou so much Carol



Reviews

Based on your lovely descriptions, this would make a beautiful short animated film. Not Disney-ish, but more like some short Asian animated films I've seen, but not anime, DANG! I can't remember right this minute, but as I read it, I saw your story in that style. Mother Nature is aptly named as she is a Mother and cares and heals her children. Beautiful imagery. Well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou so much Carol
Gentle and lovely story, one I will read to my grandchildren! Thank you for this George.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

I am so glad you like it Annette,

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2017
Last Updated on July 18, 2017
Tags: George, Coombs

Author

George Coombs
George Coombs

Brighton and Hove, Southern, United Kingdom



About
I am a retired lecturer from Hove in Southrn England. I write poetry, stories, essays and also draw and paint more..

Writing