Chapter two: The hound

Chapter two: The hound

A Chapter by Frozen-Inferno
"

In this chapter, Dante experiments lightly with his powers but is quickly encountered with another problem.

"
Slowly my senses return to me, allowing me to open my eyes. I would ask someone how long it's been if it wasn't for the fact I was still wedged between the floor and this piece of the roof that fell on me.  I expected something this large to kill me rather then knock me out but I'm not complaining.The sharp pain in my head is killing me. I would reach up and check to see if I was bleeding but honestly I needed to focus on getting up. To test my returning senses I open and close my hands. Glad to know that no neurological damage has befallen me. I force my hands forward and begin pushing on this debris, slowly making my way not only to sitting up but to fresh air. I didn't mean to destroy this place but no use crying over spilled milk hm? After sitting up straight, I grab the left edge of the debris and roll it off me. The smell of the clay that was used to build this structure filled the air. Time to stand up and look for any survivors. A cough escapes me as I make my way to my feet and finally get a good look around. I leveled this place didn't I? I dunno if I should be proud of myself or if I should at least try to contain this power inside of me.  I don't know what I should do. Maybe this can indeed make my life better and give me the fulfillment I was looking for.
Speaking of fulfillment, maybe I could lift stuff all awesome-like with my mind! I could try lifting that stupid piece of the roof that nearly killed me! No no that was too small. There has to be at least a challenge around here somewhere. I wonder if there's some limit to the size of what I can lift. Rotating my torso and turning my body, I look around until I find the perfect piece of debris.  Alright. Maybe I should try focusing on it. I cross my arms and point my forehead forward, almost as if I was shooting something out of my head. Or like that would help in my endeavor to use what Gift I have. Was I dreaming? Was this some sort of sick illusion? When I saw that large piece of debris beginning to come off the ground my eyes immediately lit up. I could single handedly light up a stadium with the glimmer of happiness in my eyes and the smile I was sporting. But unfortunately for me my eyes just had to drift down and notice the tail of that oddly patterned rob. The piece of debris was being lifted by Mr know-it-all. The sudden reality hitting me made my mouth curl into a frown and I could feel the happiness I was experiencing being sapped out of me. The debris was discarded by being tossed to the side. That tall old man's robe was the only thing that was dirty. Light damage too.  Looks like Lecs was a lot stronger then he let on. Then again all of his features were indeed hidden by that large robe he wore. Oddly enough there wasn't a single mark on him. I could have sworn I saw him jump from what little bumps and bruises I had but whatever. 
" I'm surprised you made it." I'll admit, I was being a bit smug but he sounded older then my grandfather. I wanted to know what made him so resilient. It would've been interesting to see a dead body. Oh well. Lecs began to clean his rob telekinetically, picking off minute specs of dirt and clay from his robe. Even through the darkness of that hood's shade I could tell he was getting ready to announce something else. "I've been through worse. You look as if the debris didn't treat you well." Pfft, whatever. I might possibly have a gash on my head but it's nothing I should be the one talking about I've been through worse. " It'll heal. So why don't you try teaching me a few tricks with this 'Gift' I have?" I dismissed his last statement quickly while beckoning about this Gift he talked about. My mouth flattened rather then remaining in that frown I wore earlier. I didn't feel out of control. Other then dried blood in my hair I felt fine. Maybe I could at least get a tip on how to start or something.  But what he said to me sounded more like a command rather then a tip or recommendation "Focus." Lecs' face could not be seen so I had to rely on his tone to interpret how serious I should be taking him. And maybe it was best I listen and focus. I'll humor him for now." If you say so." I agreed and turned my head to analyze the damage. It was all rubble yes but for now I had to focus on getting my power under control. If Lecs survived those other preachy old men should have survived right?
Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough earlier. I need some way to direct my energy unlike earlier. My hand? Sounds like a plan. I extended my hand towards a random piece of debris. Much like the lion from earlier, the loose clay shard that used to be part of the roof was now coated in a blue aura. I slowly raised my hand and it followed. I could feel a smile creeping onto my face as I just HAD to say something to go with this triumphant moment. " Looks like I got this down Old man!" And what comment was thrown back at me? "Find something bigger. I am not impressed." That condescending tone shattered what little faith had built inside of me. The debris dropped instantly since I lost focus and my arm fell by my side. What could I say back to him? " You're sooo supportive." Obvious sarcasm. There had to be something around here to make Mr Critical shut up and accept that I was awesome. Maybe not as experienced as him but still good so far. He had to admit that I learned fast. I brought a finger up to my chin and scanned the area visually once again. I'm glad this dust was rising and leaving our area first of all. This rubble looked miserable just sitting here. Target practice for me at least. As I panned the area I began to hear some sort of low sound. It was obvious I wasn't going insane since Lecs began to turn to seek out the source. Was this growling I was hearing? The rustle of leaves was heard and Lecs' heard turned at attention as did my gaze. Some large deformed creature stepped out. 
It looked like a large dog. For one he didn't have any eyes. Almost like he was deprived of light for a long period of time and his eyes eventually shriveled up. As expected his row of teeth were sharp for killing and his nose was rather large. Even for a dog. Plus his physique was not that of a normal dog. That muscular body was not normal even for a wild dog such as this. Even if it was wild did nature stitch up your wounds? I think not. This dog was far from natural. I was completely amazed by it! In size it looked larger then that lion and it could probably outsize even Lecs if it stood on it's hind legs. I had so many questions! While I continued to marvel at the size of this beast I noticed it leaning it's snout towards the ground and sniffing. It was as if it was searching for something. Then, as if guided by instinct it charged at me. Not Lecs, me! I knew I couldn't stop him so I either needed to evade or protect myself. Evasion it is then. Without a second thought I dove to my left, bouncing off my chest only to face plant into a small pile of discarded broken clay.  Well. At least I wasn't being held down again by another beast. This was considered battle so I couldn't just lay around. No matter how embarrassed I was, I turned onto my back and rose to my feet quickly, able to catch a glimpse of the hound forcing his paw into the dirt and twisting on it. If he had eyes he would be staring at me. He was out of the circle of rubble so when his sliding came to a stop, dust rose into the air.
Apparently Lecs didn't want to help me with this one. So I decided to use my new found gift against this pup. I threw my left hand forward and caught him in my telekinetic grasp, raising my hand into the air quickly. The hound followed my motion. I wasn't done there. I twisted my wrist to turn the hound head first towards the ground, quickly swinging my arm down and forcing the hound into the ground. My move looked like it hurt and I could almost hear it yelping in pain and laying onto his nearly broken back. But for a futile beast he sure knew how to take a hit. This hound emerged back on his paws with ease and strangely with the eyes he didn't have he was almost glaring at me. That growl was what indicated that he knew who did this to him. Although I almost threw his spine out of alignment he was able to bounce back so easily. I was stunned with astonishment. I saw him getting ready to lunge at me but he was suddenly throw back into a nearby house building. Who else but Lecs to help me hm? Strange how the streets were empty during this battle. I should just finish this hound instead of showing off. I could crush him to death! With this idea now cemented in my head I turn my head and torso slightly to look for the suitable piece of rubble to finish the job with. A large slab of clay was just begging me to use it so I obliged and picked it up with my power. The panting hound was crouched on his paws, trying to recuperate from what Lecs just did to him. He wouldn't be able to stand or even breath after I was done with him.
A smirk covered my face as I stabilized the slab of clay in mid air over the hound, now bringing it down on him with an unnecessary amount of force. Hearing the crack of his bones and seeing a bruise form was almost kind of exciting. So I did it against with no restraint, causing the hound to crumble as if he was giving up. This time were was a little bit of blood oozing out of his skull and the sight of blood just caused me to want more. Lecs was behind me so he couldn't see the deranged look in my eyes. I began to telekinetically bludgeon this beast, the blood beginning to splatter outward from his body. I couldn't smile any further but I felt so good for the first time in a while! This was like some unknown part of me that I had yet to embrace. Until, I finally found it in me to drop the clay and behold what I had done: this dog was now just a mess of broken bones, bruised skin, and blood. I let my arms fall to my side as my smile began to fade. Lecs, surprisingly didn't notice that look in my eye while I was killing that beast. He approached me from behind and placed a hand on my shoulder. Almost as if to silently admit he was proud of me. I was returning to reality and his tone became lighter compared to before." You're a natural. Glad you can cope with situations." Yeah. A natural psycho." My tone was small and riddled with remorse. I wasn't feeling bad about killing it. I felt bad about the way I did it. Then Lecs chimed in again." You killed him out of self defense. That doesn't classify you as Psycho." I stepped away from him, his hand falling off my shoulder as my head lowered slightly. I could hear the foot steps of the crowd gathering. Honestly one should commend Lecs' efforts for comforting me even with his cold demeanor but I realized that what I just turned into isn't going away anytime soon. So I gave him a bigger hint.
" What if you enjoyed it?"


© 2013 Frozen-Inferno


Author's Note

Frozen-Inferno
Still sort of early in my writing development. I didn't really see the fact that I should put effort into it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on July 17, 2013
Last Updated on July 17, 2013


Author

Frozen-Inferno
Frozen-Inferno

That one town, TX



About
I'm an amateur writer just here to share and improve my writing. I'm in the middle of writing a novel and I decided to post individual chapters as I complete here online. Any criticism is welcome. .. more..

Writing