The Stones of the Hyral

The Stones of the Hyral

A Chapter by Mati

History
The Stones of the Hyral was a controversial book written by Leonard Descartes. During his travels in the Hyral Plains he had carefully observed how there were no mountians or quarrys where the enigmatic stones could have come from. He became obssessed with discovering their origins. Throughout his inquiry he examined and cataloged all 187 stones that were scattered all across the great plain. He then traversed all across the Lower Languedoc looking for the birthplace of these stones. His travels eventually lead him to Lake Oran another place of serious scientific inquiry. He had discovered that the mountians surrounding the lake (Antricans) were identical to the stones of the Hyral. This mystery puzzled him for years until he concluded that the Great Catastrophe* must have hurled the stones onto the Hyral. A speculation that was not well received in the scientific community. He was mocked and ostricized by his peers. He later wrote a second book called the Mystery of Lake Oran, which also helped reinforce his theories. He later died in 1327 before he could finish the book. 
* The Great Catastrophe: An asteroid that plummeted down onto the Languedoc in ancient times. 
                                                           The Stones of the Hyral
                                                                          Thesis
There has been serious speculation as to the origon of those most enigmatic stones that are scattered all across the Hyral. I spent 13 years traversing the great plain observing and cataloging these stones in hope to find clues to this mystery. My research had lead me to believe that these stones had been hurled during the Great Catastrophe from the Antricans surrounding Lake Oran. The rocks of the range are identical to those in the Hyral. In this book I will present my findings to you the reader in hopes to bring to light this mystery that has plagued the great minds of our time. 
First we must examine the current theories before I  can present my own. A Gerard Depedaro has speculated that due to some of the formations of the stones that the Ancients must have moved them by placing these stones upon timbers and rolling them. But Depedaro does not mention their place or origin. Merely that timbers were cut from the surrounding forests. Though lucrative the theory may be it is too riddled with inconsistances. To what purpose would the Ancients place the stones? Some of the stones are completly massive and would nie impossible to move them let alone place them on timbers. 
A Mollard Siscero theorized that a great flood must have carried the stones onto the plain. But there is no geological evidence to suggest that a  flood even took place. A convienant theory to please the less educated. Upon further observation one would find that there are no stones along the Western Sea that match the stones of the Hyral. Nor are the stones smooth, which would be caused by running water. Unfortunetly this is the prevailing theory of our time. A default idea shall we say in the community, much to my dismay. Both these theories are in my opinion out dated and require far more scrutiny. 
                                                                      Observations
When I had first began journeying through the Hyral I had made an immediate observation. That the stones were all in various sizes and shapes though they all shared one similarity, they were all the same type of stone. A whitesh grey, most with Lenish Moss growing around the bottom. Many of the stones had been carved by the high torrents that often blew through the Hyral and by the torrential down pours that often came with the seasons. Further examination of the stones brought me to believe that the stones must have been thrown. Some areas around the stones show some small hints of hewn earth. These little mounds of dirt and grass clumps might suggest the stones roll from its flight from the Antricans before it finally stopped at its current position. Though their is only so much one can deduce from observation of the naked eye alone. 
Other observations were made when I decided to explore the surrounding region. I was in hopes to find perhaps an ancient rock quarry or rock bed but the area was devoid of such places. This the became highly problematic. There were only so many possabilities that stones could have originated. I would have to travel a father distance to discover the possible locations. Hence I traveled first to the south western areas near Lethe the City of Sails. But the cliffs were of completly different stone. Once I had concluded I was looking in the wrong place I went further north until I came upon Lake Oran. It was there as stated in my thesis that I had found stones so close to identical or so similiar that the differences were unnoticable. The question that laid before me now was if indeed these were the same stones how did they travel a distance 280 leagues from the Antricans to the Hyral? 
I first thought of Sisceros theory of flood waters came to mind but there was evidence of water erosion in the rock. Further observation showed that there segements of the Antricans that seemed have been completly removed either by human intervention or natural causes. Though there were no marks left by any tool of human design. That left only the possability of natural causes, which in itself seemed slightly problematic. There was no evidence to suggest there was a natural dam or barrier or that the water level was once higher around the lake. It would seem more plausable if some unnatural event might have occured. There is only one instance of such an event in recorded history of the Languedoc and that is the Great Catastrophe. As written in the Avalid "a great star fell from the heavens, and wraught death and destruction."
But this was not necessary a firm hypothesis it was easy for convience to simply use that recorded event as the cause. Though as enticing as the idea was I need to find to evidence support such a grand theory. It was from there that I began to observe the area surrounding the lake. Indeed there was such evidence. There as mentioned before who entire missing segments of the Antricans as well rock scattered all across the area as well as massive rocks at the bottom of the lake. Some kind of event must have thrown the rock into the water as there was ecidence ro support any kind of rockslide that could rolled the rocks into the lake. So it was reasonable to conclude that "star that fell from the heavens" landed here and in its impact flew thousands of tons of white rock from the Antricans  to the Hyral. 
Though most of my findings are highly consequential there is some conclusive evidence that can not be ignored. Further analysis of Lake Oran and the Antricans has led me to other theories, which I will not state here but I currently contemplate writing another book on the subject. I hope to solidify my findings with further evidence in the future. 


© 2015 Mati


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on September 24, 2015
Last Updated on September 24, 2015


Author

Mati
Mati

Eugene, OR



About
I love to read and I love to write. I normally read non-fiction but as of late I have developed a great love for fiction. Particularly the classics. I wanted to write non-fiction more specifically phi.. more..

Writing
Zeus of Olympus Zeus of Olympus

A Story by Mati


The Alchemist The Alchemist

A Story by Mati