Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Grayciey

"Goodbye Mummy, go catch the bad guys!"
I remember telling my mother that on that fateful night. I was just 6 and i revered my mother who was a corporal in the army.
I had no intentions of joining the army because all i just wanted to be was a nurse.
That fine day when i mother was sailing away i had worn a white dress with a big bow on my back that my mother had put for me. I was carrying Mr. Bubbles, the teddy my mother had bought for me. My father used to call me his princess and my mother dressed me the part.
My father had waited in the car as i bid my mother farewell as she boarded the ship to the place she was going.
My father stayed in the car because that day he had argued with my mother about telling her to keep quiet about something in the army. I didnt hear them well because i was all the way in the other room playing with my small brother, Ryan, who was just 4 at the time.
But another reason that he didnt get out of the car was because he had never done it before, saying goodbye to my mother whom he loved dearly and hated seeing her leave. Another reason that i later found out was because he had suffered post traumatic stress disorder after World War 2 where his whole unit was wiped out and he was the only survivor. He began drinking but he kept on saying that my mother saved him because right after he met her he got psychological help. He left the army and swore never to hold a gun again. He did his CPAs and ended up an accountant at an Insurance company close to our home.

That day i knew what to do. I was to watch the ship sail then go directly back to the car.
So i waved and my mother was just looking at me just before the ship set sail, and shed a few tears on the rear of the ship. Yes, the corporal does cry... My mother was amazing.
So i blew kisses at her and i could read her lips she was saying "i love you"
Suddenly i heard a loud sound, a force stronger than i knocked me down. My abdomen was in a thousand knots of pain. I heard my mother screaming. Many other people around me were screaming too. I didnt utter a sound. I just lay there in the greatest amount of pain that i had ever felt then i passed out.

When i woke up i was in a hospital. My grandmothers were seated by my bedside. I could see my father outside talking to the doctor. My first words were, "where is mum?"
And that was met with no reply as my grandmothers broke into song and prayers as they kissed me ferociously. My father was called in to see me. His eyes all red shot. His hair was unkempt and his clothes were the same ones he had before all this happened.
So my grandmothers prayed and thanked God for my survival.
I kept on asking where my mother was. So my father requested that my grandmothers leave then he told me what had happened.
Those very words echo in my ears years after years and years of counselling.
"Princess, a bad person shot you on your tummy. It hit your spleen so your spleen had to removed. Ever heard of the spleen?"
I shook my head cause that word was foreign.
"its an organ in your belly, it is not a very important organ so that means you have nothing to worry about, you got to live. My princess got to live!"
Then he started crying.
"Daddy whats wrong? Where is mum?"
I got a really bad feeling. I could then feel the stitches on my belly and it stung like hell. The morphine wearing off
"Your mummy got off the ship and ran to you as everyone else was running away from your location in a frenzy because of the commotion of the gunshot. Your mummy was shot too on her head. And mummy, mummy, princess your mummy has gone to heaven."
I started crying. I knew i would never see her again. She had always prepared me for this due to career line. But she had told that since she was the corporal and all she did was dish out instructions she was then safe.


© 2014 Grayciey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this simple telling with a big emotional pull. The photo image is very fitting to this piece and certainly does it justice. The fast shocking end to this particular scene grabbed at my heart and mind. I love how you were able to keep the dialog of the child character in a child's voice and thought and how she might grasp what has happened. Very good job indeed and you certainly have my interest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Grayciey

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Just starting out. Working on another book. Will publish it soon.
Please .. read more



Reviews

I like this simple telling with a big emotional pull. The photo image is very fitting to this piece and certainly does it justice. The fast shocking end to this particular scene grabbed at my heart and mind. I love how you were able to keep the dialog of the child character in a child's voice and thought and how she might grasp what has happened. Very good job indeed and you certainly have my interest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Grayciey

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Just starting out. Working on another book. Will publish it soon.
Please .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
1 Review
Added on January 2, 2014
Last Updated on January 2, 2014


Author

Grayciey
Grayciey

Nairobi, Kenya



About
I am a versatile and sublime writer I am everything under the sun! I am a road sign, the north star! Enjoy.... more..

Writing
bRoKeN bRoKeN

A Poem by Grayciey


AGAPE LOVE... AGAPE LOVE...

A Story by Grayciey