Chapter 1 - One Hundred

Chapter 1 - One Hundred

A Chapter by PeriwinkleRoase

   

I snatched the rusted nail from its home, the back corner of my cage. I stared down at it, absorbing every crack, every dent, every flake of rust. One hundred days ago, I found this. On my first day of captivity.

It’s amazing how a rusty nail can make someone so nostalgic.

I put aside my silly connection to it and the slashed the wall, making the one hundredth tally. It squeaked loud and high against the metal, like a scream, leaving a deep white scar.

One hundred tally marks. One hundred days. One hundred days ago, my life changed forever.

And now it will change again.

I closed my eyes and felt the early morning clouds high above me. I looked up at my cage ceiling and felt them circling in the sky, filled with water. I lifted up my arms, and began to pull the water from its prison. I felt the water sloshing and rippling high above my cage ceiling, and the ceiling of the compound. My hands felt wet, though when I looked at them, they were chapped and calloused, as dry as my mouth. I hadn't had anything to drink for almost a full day. The warden did not allow a regular water schedule. He enjoyed seeing his prisoners suffer. But those days were over.

With a flick of my wrist, the droplets turned to pointed shards of ice, sharp and deadly. I stared at the window opposite my cage. Swiftly I curved my arms towards the window. Then chaos erupted. The shards flew through the shattered window. A guard shouted as chips of glass and shards pierced his arms and legs. Alarms and sirens blared. I blocked out all of the noise. Concentration is the key to my freedom. I directed a large shard over to my cage. I grabbed it and began furiously hacking at the bars and lock. The metal screamed with every cut. The ice began to melt in my hand. I began slashing faster, weakening the hinges. Guards poured in from every direction, flooding the Suddenly, the floor of the cage fell away, and I was free falling from where my cage was suspended.

My brain was dead for those few seconds. I was going to die. The floor flew at me faster and faster. I was going to die. As insane as I sound, I was happy. I would die free. I would die as someone who escaped. I smiled and awaited my death.

I landed on my wrist with a sickening crack. The pain was almost unbearable. I closed my eyes and screamed. Was I dead? Can you think when you’re dead? I moved my fingers and looked at the compound ceiling. I was alive. But not for long. I picked myself up, trying as hard as I could to ignore the horrible throb in my wrist and began to run. Guards gather at the doorways, their whips springing at me crackling with electricity.

I paused to look around. All the exits were blocked. Except for one. Turned on my heel and began to sprint as i steadily gathered more and more speed. I pushed one foot into the ground and leapt into the air.

I'd rather die free than be able to live barely alive in a cage

I crashed through a window.

 



© 2012 PeriwinkleRoase


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
Added on September 2, 2012
Last Updated on September 8, 2012


Author

PeriwinkleRoase
PeriwinkleRoase

About
You guys can call me PeriRoase. Or just Peri. more..

Writing
Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by PeriwinkleRoase