The Last Picture

The Last Picture

A Chapter by hkpt08

Staying completely frozen on my swing seat, I felt fresh tears fall from my eyes. When I regained control of my emotions, I reached for my purse and took out my wallet. Inside was a picture of us that was taken years and years ago. Our last picture together. I remember the day this picture was taken like it was yesterday.



It was the day before my Sweet 16. Jason and I were walking home from school. We weren’t speaking much. We were content with just keeping each other company… but that wasn’t the only reason why I was so silent. I refused to make eye contact with him because, despite his warning, I secretly invited Ethan to the party.

When we finally reached my house, without hesitating, I walked straight towards it. Jason must have noticed I was acting strange because he called out to me. “Hey Nic! Where are you going?”
“Home… duh.” I still refused to make eye contact.
“Well… before you go, I want to show you something. Come here!” He said with a huge smile on his face.
I walked to him, slowly. Guilt sluggishly consumed me. When I got to his side, he opened his backpack and brought out a not-so-big yet heavy box. He put it in my hands and urged me to open it. I unwrapped it and found �" I gasped �" A BRAND NEW CAMERA! I jumped high in the air and then gave him a big bear hug. “Oh my gosh! This is for me?!”
“Who else would it be for?” he grinned
I dropped the box and started exploring the camera.
“You’ve always been complaining that your camera phone’s quality is awful. Well… you won’t have to worry about that anymore.” He said

Suddenly, I felt guilty again, realizing that I haven’t told him about inviting Ethan… and about something else, too… “I don’t deserve this, Jason.”
“What are you talking about?”
“This must’ve cost you a fortune. Here, take it.” I said, handing him the camera.
“Nic, I don’t know anyone who deserves this more than you.”
Yikes. Mega Guilt. I bit my lip. He didn’t seem to notice my feelings although it was clearly written all over my face. He brushed a strand of hair away from my face and said, in the gentlest tone he could manage, “It’s okay. I’m happy to spend my money for you. You’re my best friend, Nic.” He took the camera and raised it to eye level and said, “Come on! Let’s test it out.” He took a picture of me and said, “Beautiful!” He showed me the picture and said, “But it would be even better if you smiled.”
I shoved him in the face, laughed, and took the camera from him. I raised the camera high above us and took a picture of both of us.

“There. Now, it’s perfect.”


© 2013 hkpt08


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on April 7, 2013
Last Updated on April 7, 2013


Author

hkpt08
hkpt08

Philippines



About
Just an exceptionally imaginative, unrealistically optimistic UP student. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. My picture is but a hollow shell of the human that lives within. It cann.. more..

Writing
Snapshots Snapshots

A Poem by hkpt08


Katie Katie

A Poem by hkpt08


The Maestro The Maestro

A Poem by hkpt08