My Best Friend

My Best Friend

A Chapter by hkpt08

Not much has changed since I last saw this place. The tall trees I used to rest under when I got tired playing are still there. The warm green grass I used to lie around in, still there! The benches, the slide, the monkey bars! They’re all still there! And then it caught my eye. THE SWING SET.

I walked slowly towards it, savoring every second I could. As I sat down, I could barely contain my joy. Tears streamed down my cheeks when I looked at the swing seat next to me. It looks exactly the same as it did when I first came here, except now… it seems so empty.

I was about seven years old when I first came to Green Summer Park. My family and I have just moved to the city. I was feeling homesick so my parents decided to take me to the park because we had one back in our old town. As soon as I got there, the swings were the first things that I saw. I ran over to it. I leaped on the empty seat and almost fell off but I got over it quickly. I tried to push myself up into the air but to no avail. I felt like crying, then suddenly… someone pushed me from behind.

WHEEEEEEEEE! I was on top of the world! Then, another push. The clouds looked like they were within my reach! And another push. I could almost touch the sky! Another push. Not even the sky is the limit! The pushing continued for a while but then stopped abruptly. And behind me was a little blonde boy about my age. I stared at him for a few minutes, not knowing what to say. Then, he smiled and sat on the empty seat next to mine. “I’m Jason! What’s your name?”

Just looking at the seat now makes me feel so lonely. It was as if I could still see him there, smiling, laughing, and swinging so high that I was afraid he’d reach Heaven and never come back. His image, still fresh in my memory, appeared before me. I tried to reach for him but I held my breath, fearing I might blow him away. The closer I got to him, the more the image faded away. I sighed and sat back on my seat. At least, I still have my memories.

“Nicole.” I whispered.

“Nicole? That’s a pretty name.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Better than Jason.”

“Oh. Thanks for pushing me, by the way.”

“Sure thing.” He smiled and started swinging extremely high up.

“How do you do that?”

“Practice.”

“How come I can’t do it?”

“I don’t know. Want me to show you how?”


Yup. That’s how we met.  After that day, I begged my mom to take me to the park every Saturday. Jason and I hung out at the swing set all the time. We went to the same pre-school, grade school, middle school, and eventually, high school. Every day after school, we’d race each other to the park and sit on the swings. Sometimes he’d push me. At times, I’d push him. Most of the time, we’d just swing together simultaneously. When we got tired of swinging, we’d just sit there and talk. We’d laugh and tell jokes and stories. Sometimes, he’d strum his guitar and we’d sing songs. I remember how he would sing a Taylor swift song in a really high-pitched tone just to mock me. “It’s a love story, baby, just say yes…” I’d laugh, tell him how annoyed I am, ask him to stop, and when he does, I’d beg him to sing another line.


Yeah. He was my best friend.



© 2012 hkpt08


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on April 4, 2012
Last Updated on April 4, 2012


Author

hkpt08
hkpt08

Philippines



About
Just an exceptionally imaginative, unrealistically optimistic UP student. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. My picture is but a hollow shell of the human that lives within. It cann.. more..

Writing
Snapshots Snapshots

A Poem by hkpt08


Katie Katie

A Poem by hkpt08


The Maestro The Maestro

A Poem by hkpt08