"Swings are for kids!"

"Swings are for kids!"

A Chapter by hkpt08

The eve before my sixteenth birthday passed by quicker than I would’ve thought. As expected, Jason came early to help me decorate the house. I found myself smiling while I swept the floor in preparation for the party.

So, this is it. I’m finally sixteen.
I’m finally a woman.

“Why are you smiling like that?” Jason teased
“Like what? I’m not smiling.” I said, abruptly frowning to prove my point.
“I’m just teasing. It’s your birthday. You have every right to be happy.”
That made me smile. Jason always did have a knack for making me feel special.
“Hey Nic, I was thinking… after the party… maybe we could uh…”
“What?”
“Maybe we could…”
“Yeah?”
Right at that moment, my little brother entered the room. “Hey sis! One of your party guests arrived early.”
“Oh, okay. I’ll… be right there.”
I put the broom down and walked out of the room. Jason followed.

Even though his back was turned toward me, I knew exactly who the party guest was. I stopped in my tracks and glanced at Jason who was walking slowly behind me. Oh no! I completely forgot…
“Ethan… hi.” I said awkwardly
Ethan smiled at me with that oh-so gorgeous smile and I felt my heart melt. “Nicole, right?”
“Yeah. Thanks for coming.” I looked behind me. Jason was looking away.
“Are you ready to go?”
“I’ll just be a minute. Why don’t you wait outside?”
“Ah. While you’re getting ready, can your friend get me an iced tea? I just got out of basketball practice and I’m incredibly thirsty.”
“Right away, your majesty.” Jason said as he walked toward the kitchen. I ran after him.

“Jay, I’m really sorry. I meant to tell you but…”
“Where is he taking you?”
“We were just going to get a drink…”
“A drink? Like beer? You’re sixteen!”
“I know but… he’s a senior. If I want to be in the same league he is, I have to be a little more mature.”
“Why would you want to change who you are for that jerk?”
“I love him.”
He laughed. “You have NO idea what love is.”
“Well, I’m going with him whether you like it or not.”
"You don't have to prove anything to him. Why don't you just come with me?" He gently grabbed my hands, "Let's go to the park. We can play on the swings, like always."
I took my hands away from his and yelled "SWINGS ARE FOR KIDS!"

I stomped out of the room. I mean, who does he think he is? Does he really believe he has the right to dictate whom I should date? Why does he even care if I like Ethan?

Those thoughts continue to haunt me even to this day. Maybe if I hadn't left, Jason would still be here, swinging next to me.


© 2013 hkpt08


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on April 7, 2013
Last Updated on April 7, 2013


Author

hkpt08
hkpt08

Philippines



About
Just an exceptionally imaginative, unrealistically optimistic UP student. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. My picture is but a hollow shell of the human that lives within. It cann.. more..

Writing
Snapshots Snapshots

A Poem by hkpt08


Katie Katie

A Poem by hkpt08


The Maestro The Maestro

A Poem by hkpt08