Chapter 34: The unexpected encounter

Chapter 34: The unexpected encounter

A Chapter by Happy Annoyance
"

A new figure enters the clan's plans

"
Fuyukaze and Hiroyama began to kneel in the hallway just outside of the main hall. Both settled in with the other guards before an enthusiastic youth slipped into the hallway.
“Taeshimo Fuyukaze-san,” the young man whose voice it belonged to was unfamiliar. As he looked up at the youth he immediately fell to his elbows bowing in unison with the other guards. It was the imperial heir Fujirou “I saw your duel today.” his voice was brimming with enthusiasm.
Fuyukaze looked up in disbelief, he swallowed softly “Good <Time of Day> your majesty.” He paused a moment not sure what to do, glancing around he saw the other bodyguards were bowing low their faces nearly touching the wooden floor. Fuyukaze followed suit quickly.
The longest period of silence Fuyukaze ever experienced followed. Realizing that the heir was waiting for him to speak her searched his mind for what words were just spoken to him and stammered out quickly. “Ah, my duel. I did not see you in the courtyard. I hope that my actions did not offend you your majesty.” He dared to glance up and instead of seeing a hawkish face he found a smiling youth.
“Not at all! That was amazing, so rarely do I see a sword fight in court, but it seems this winter there have been (2? 3?) already. I ran to the balcony and watched you and <name> face to face the tension building. It was really quite exhilarating!” His voice was happy and full of energy, just looking down at the young man cheerfully.
“I am glad you enjoyed it your majesty,” the youth straightened up slightly but still kept his head low showing his back of his neck to the Emperor's son. “That was my first duel with real swords. It is far different than the battles I have had outside of court.”
“Oh I see, I have heard. I asked your sister about your exploits. You gained your gempukku after fighting a ronin who had killed your friend. Very honorable, then you killed six of the highwaymen who were besetting your sister's <convoy>.” He grinned “Please stand up and join us, there are more than enough men to guard the main hall.”
Fuyukaze blinked at the words, he felt a blush wash over his face and glanced around the hallway towards Hiroyama, hoping for guidance, but only found him kneeling low with his face obscured from view. Swallowing hard he rose to his feet “Thank you your majesty, I am not worthy of your attention but I am grateful that you would give me such an invitation.” He stammered those words out, remembering words taught to him when he was to attend a daimyo's court. He hoped they were correct looking towards his smiling host.
Fujirou turned and quickly strode towards the main hall, leaving Fuyukaze to push quickly to his feet and chase after him. The heir slipped into the entryway, and when Fuyukaze followed he looked around and suddenly realized all the eyes in the room were upon him. The courtier delegations had broken into small groups of people talking with one another, mixing completely with one another. But now their eyes were fixed upon the heir and the young samurai joining them.
Fuyukaze looked around the room, feeling completely alone and very vulnerable as he followed the Imperial heir. He grabbed upon the sleeves of his kimono pulling them taunt and worried if others could see the layer of mail beneath his clothing.
Miyuki looked at her brother in shock as he walked into the room, Kaiten just scowling darkly at the youth. Still it was <Clan> <name> and <girl's name> who stepped forward bowing low to Fujirou. “Your majesty, I was hoping you might join us. We were having a discussion with the Yume family about the pirates along the western coast.”
Fujuirou straightened curiously “Pirates? Really I did not think any existed, I mean surely the peace given by the Rensho and Tagarii prevented such matters.” He stood up straight while Fuyukaze walked nervously to the edge of the group reluctantly joining the circle.
<Name> shook his head no “I am afraid not my lord, indeed whereever there is prosperity it seems to attract those who would take from others. Ronin, peasants and Han scum each raid out coasts for food, silk and plunder to sell in the markets of the north and to the horsepeople to the west. Your great samurai spend their lives battling these foes in the southern islands.”
Fujirou blinked and looked towards Fuyukaze “Are there pirates in the north lands Fuyukaze-san?”
The youth blinked and let his gaze drop to the floor “Not often my lord, there are occasional reports of bandits in the northern territories but the pirates do not like to travel to the cold waters of the northlands. Our shores are rocky and Hamamite castle rests over the northern valley, the raiders who travel there are met with force. Or chased down after raiding our northern villages.
<Name> just smiled softly “Yes, the Taeshimo lands do not suffer from piracy. Though they have lands thick with merchants who often load their ships with bodyguards. Some say their entire cargo is nothing but armed men.” The man grinned slightly. Fujirou just blinked, looking towards Fuyukaze at the implication.
Fuyukaze blinked softly “I know little of merchant matters, perhaps armed men travel to the continent that way.”
<Name> considered a moment, then looked back to Fujirou. “Your servants to the north are a very fortunate people it seems. Your majesty, you should see the navy of the Jorote. Its warriors are in fine form, we are ready to take the continent in the name of the Emperor.”
“Yes, all (three-six) hundred of them.” Miyuki said in a gentle voice “The Jorote clan has always been fortunate. Upon the tiny island of <Sado> they live in great prosperity given to it by Susanoo's generosity and by their gold mine. Surely with this and no troublesome neighbors they could stave away a few troublesome pirates. To be blessed with such luck.” The young woman stepped into the circle next to her brother “Fuyukaze-san, forgive me you were so accomplished in your histories. Didn't the Jorote attempt invasion against our lands?”
Fuyukaze nodded “Yes sister they did, about a hundred and fifty years ago. They led a fleet of nearly two dozen ships against us in an attempted invasion. The Taeshimo clan's navy fought them at sea and drove the stragglers against the mountainside. The survivors were harassed through the mountains until they made their way to the Ameji lands where they found solace in being able to return to their home.”
Miyuki smiled “Yes that's right brother. How silly of me to have forgotten. I remembered the tales of how they plundered the mountain villages but I seem to have forgotten about the naval battle.” She turned and looked to Fujirou. “Your majesty, we are honored you chose to include my brother in today's festivities.”
Fujirou met Miyuki's eyes and smiled “Yes, well it is unusual, but I saw your brother and his duel with <name.> It was so breathtaking I just had to invite him in, and now talk of piracy and invasion. Winter court this year may prove to be very interesting indeed.”
Miyuki smiled, quickly adding “I see, well it is unfortunate that your servants must come to blows but the event itself is very exciting indeed. Although the talk of invasion of the mainland must be exciting too, to think of our brave warriors expanding your domains and driving back the oni who control the Han lands.”
Fujirou nodded happily, the youth exclaiming “Yes, I only wish I could join the assault myself. <MORE>
<More subtleties, perhaps a court event?>


© 2014 Happy Annoyance


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on September 8, 2014
Last Updated on September 8, 2014
Tags: Samurai, Feudal Japan, Drama, Warring States

Honor and Treachery ((In progress, needs polish))


Author

Happy Annoyance
Happy Annoyance

San Antonio, TX



About
I am am a world traveler turned teacher who enjoys telling stories who has recently started writing. I would like to develop my style and expand my foundation of knowledge. more..

Writing