Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Hatter
"

The beginning

"

“Foolish girl, can’t you see the truth right in front of your eyes? This is my kingdom and you are no longer a part of it or this family.” King Joseph said as he looked down at Princess Gwendolyn. She narrowed her eyes and clenched her fists, lifting her eyes up to face her father. “Do not challenge me Your Majesty,” she mocked, “I may be your daughter but I am not a weak little child.”

King Joseph glared down at his eldest daughter. The one that, not long ago, he had cherished with all of his heart. The one who had been his world after the death of his first wife.

“Gwendolyn Opel! You may not speak to me like that, I am your father and king!”

“Father!” Gwen scoffed, crossing her arms, “you stopped being my father the moment you listened to that woman of yours and betrayed me” she said glaring at the new queen, Queen Madeline, the woman King Joseph had married after the death of Gwen’s mother.  At first Gwen had been elated that her father finally found happiness in someone, but this did not last long, as Gwen quickly learned the sinister truth about Madeline.

The truth was that although Madeline was indeed beautiful, with fair skin and long dark hair, perfect lips and round grey eyes. she was not a kind person, notably in Gwen’s presence. Whenever Gwen had been left alone with Madeline, her demeanor would change. The warm smile disappeared, replaced instead by dark hateful expressions. All her kind words dissipated into thin air and instead she spoke only insults, spitting them at Gwen and showering her with harsh words. Gwen had suffered under the terrible presence of Madeline for years, always telling herself that she had to suffer for her father. If Madeline was bringing him happiness then Gwen couldn’t do anything to ruin his happiness.

At least that is what she had been thinking before the birth of her younger sister, Lexis Opel. Lexis quickly warmed Gwen’s heart; she became the joy in Gwen’s life. Lexis was a beautiful child like her mother, but unlike her mother she was a kind and warm hearted girl. Gwen fell in love with her, and she never let her hatred for Madeline destroy their strong relationship. That is, until now.


Now Gwen, heir to the throne, stands in front of her father, her eyes ablaze, finally expressing her hatred of Madeline, as he attempts to banish his daughter from the castle.

“How dare you speak to the queen--your mother--in that manner,” King Joseph replied.

“She is no mother to me,”  Gwen responded confidently, “and I can speak to the woman who has tricked my father and removed me from my home anyway I feel is appropriate,”

“That’s it!” Joseph shouts standing up, “pack your bags and get out of my palace this instant and don’t you dare attempt to return!”

Gwen says nothing;  only turning around and heading to her rooms for the last time.

In her rooms, which are as messy as ever with the tables full of books and papers, while swords, bows, arrows, and spears are thrown all over the floor. Gwen quickly strides past the messiness into her private rooms, which are much tidier, but still filled with books everywhere, on the bed, the nightable, and the floor. She grabs one bag and begins to throw things into it. She feels her heart squeezing in pain; betrayal and anger intertwine in Gwen’s mind. She cannot believe that her father has gone so far, and that he would not trust her word over Madeline’s.

Clothes and books are the only thing she stuffs into her bag.  She packs hurriedly, as her hands shake with emotion. Standing up to survey her room, she is met with ten year old Lexis standing at the doorway. Lexis stands watching Gwen, dressed only in her thin, white, nightgown.

“Are you going somewhere Gwen?” she asks. Gwen gives her a warm smile and pulls her onto the bed.

“Yes Lexi, it seems some things have happened that won't allow me to stay here in the palace,” Gwen said, gently brushing Lexis’ hair.

“Where are you going? And when are you going to return?” asked Lexis.

“I don’t know,” Gwen whispers, “someplace far away probably, someplace where I won’t be able to return from for a few years.”

“But you’ll write me letters?”

“I can’t promise you anything, Lexis. Besides, you’re a big girl already, you won’t need me around as much anyway,”

“That doesn’t mean you can just leave,”

“I know, but it’s not my choice,” Gwen sighs, “Lexis sometimes people are forced to leave you, but I want you to know that if I could, I would stay.”

“Who is forcing you to go Gwen? I’ll tell them they can’t make you go,” Lexis said latching tightly onto Gwen’s arm.

Gwen smiles at the bravery and loyalty from her sister, “Thank you Lexis, but this person will listen to no one, not even you,”

“So there is nothing I can do to make you stay?”

“I’m afraid not,” Gwen answers sadly.

“I’m going to miss you, Gwenie,” Lexis says cuddling up in Gwen’s arms.

“I’m going to miss you too,” Gwen whispers. You are special, Gwen thinks, I can see why my father chose you. You will be my replacement; you will fill his heart for me. Gwen smiles at her sister although inside her heart is cracking and breaking.

“Alright Lexi, it is time for our farewells.”  Gwen says attempting to keep all emotion from her voice.

“Do you have to leave right this instant, can’t you stay longer?” Lexis pleads.

“No Lexi, I have to go,” Gwen says her voice breaking, before she can gain complete control of her sadness.

“But…” Lexis begins, her voice quivering.

“Aww, come on Lexis, don’t cry,” Gwen says trying to comfort her. Then Lexis throws her arms around Gwen, hugging her as tightly as she can, “ I love you Gwen, and I’m going to miss you so much.”

“I love you too, Lexi,” Gwen says hugging her back, “Alright, will you let me finish packing Lexis?” Lexis nods, standing up straight and wiping her tears away, refusing to say goodbye to her beloved sister in tears. She gives Gwen one last hug, sliding her favorite necklace, a silver locket, into Gwen’s hand, “So you remember to come home soon,” she says. Then she rushes out of the room, but not before Gwen sees her teary face.

Gwen clutches her the hand with the locket to her heart, knowing how important it is to Lexis, and how hard it must have been for her to give it away. The locket was Lexis’ seventh birthday gift from their father, and since the day she had received it Lexis had never taken it off. Gwen slides on the locket, tucking it under her clothes. Then she quickly finishes packing and changes into her hunting clothes, black trousers with a dark green tunic, and she marches out of her room to the castle doors.

At the doors she does not turn around, continuing forward her gaze hard like steel. She strides through the heavy oak doors, ignoring the snickers from the nobles and the confused stares from the commoners.

When she recognizes Lexis’s maid, she goes over to her, and gives her a broach. It is the broach that Gwen had gotten from her father after the death of her mother.

“Give it to Lexis,” Gwen tells the maid, “tell her it is my momento so that she does not forget me.” The maid, confused, nods. Then Gwen turns away and walks into town. Out in town she marches through the streets her head held high. She returns the stares of anyone glancing her way, refusing to show any signs of weakness to anyone. Gwen heads to the outskirts of the small town, reaching the hill at the edge of the forest surrounding the palace.

Once she has made it to the hill which overlooks the palace, she finally turns to look back. A few tears slide down her face as she looks at her home for the last time. Memories of her childhood flash through her mind. Sitting on her father's lap when she was young. The death of her mother, the appearance of Madeline, and the birth of Lexis fly behind Gwen’s eyes. Happy moments and sad moments mingle in the Gwen’s mind as she overlooks her home. As the realization hits her that she is not allowed to return, she makes up her mind to be strong. She closes her heart to all her sadness, worry, and heartbreak. I shall be strong, I won’t let this situation bring me down. I’ll do whatever it takes to fight, and to someday return. Then she turns and disappears into the forest, leaving her family, and the only life she has ever known. Gwen’s back is straight and she walks quietly into the forest like a shadow, leaving her old self back in the palace. She does not turn back, but little does Gwen know that she will exit the forest many years later with an army behind her, prepared to fight for her rightful place.



© 2018 Hatter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

sorry my competition is so belatedly judged today, thanks for being so understanding and good luck beautiful write,

Posted 5 Years Ago


OMG this is exquisitely written and i dont know much about history but is it based on any queen or princess non fiction. I loved it from beginning to end the tender moment of exchange between 2 step sisters of a locket and her giving her brooch to the maid for her lil sister Lexie. Loved it so much thanks for entry into my comp and good luck

Posted 5 Years Ago


Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

hi
was it based on a particular king and queen or fiction
Hatter

5 Years Ago

No, it is just fiction, but if you know of a king or queen that seems to fit this story I would like.. read more
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

no I didn't do history much at school I wish I had

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 2, 2018
Last Updated on September 2, 2018


Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter