Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Hatter

Once out of the dungeons Lexis heads straight for her mother's room. She bursts through and finds Madeline sitting at her studying reading over papers. Madeline looks up surpised to find her daughter before her.

“Lexis, deary what can I do for you?” Madeline asks setting her papers down and turning her attention to Lexis.

“I need the true mother.”

“What truth sweetheart?”

“Did you make father banish Gwen? And has she been living so close all and you never told me?” Lexis demands Madeline is taken aback.

“Where did you hear all this from Lexi?”

“Gwen told me”

“You were in the dungeons?! Lexis I thought I told you that that is no place for a princess,” Madeline says hoping to avoid the questions that Lexis is asking.

“That does not matter now Mother. I want the truth,” Lexis claims she is furious.

“Oh sweety, the truth is never as good as the lie,” Madeline says rising from her chair and reaching towards Lexis, but Lexis pulls away. This makes Madeline mad. “Lexis, you do not need to worry your pretty head over any of this. Let me handle it all,”

“No, I want to know. I have the right to know what is happening in this family,”

“Of course you do, baby, but not today. Guards!” Madeline commands and two guards enter, “Take my daughter and lock her in her rooms and do not let her out until I say so.”

“What?!” Lexis exclaims trying to shake off the guards as they begin to drag her out of the room, but she is not strong enough, and she is quickly dragged away.

Madeline waves as Lexis is taken out a smile plastered on her face, but as soon as the doors close her face drops. She turns to the window behind her and looks out to the town, the seed of anger and fear that has always been inside begins to blossom. She grabs her cloak and heads to the council room to declare the execution of the banished princess Gwen.

Lexis is locked up in her room, she goes out to her balcony and stands there fighting against the tears that she holds back. Her maid enters with a somber expression on her face.

“What’s wrong?” Lexis asks.

“Your sister my lady has been sentenced to death,” Lexis freezes the words penetrate her heart. She falls into tears as her maid reaches towards her to provide comfort.

Gwen sits her back against the cell bars. She hears the clanging of keys that belong to the jailer. He approaches her cell and riffles through the many keys that he is in charge of, then he finds the correct one and opens Gwen’s door. She looks up at him a confused expression on her face.

“Get up,” he says in a gruff voice and she slowly stands up.

“What is happening?” Gwen asks, “The queen has sentenced you to hang,” he responds. Gwen nods unsurpised, she knew Madeline would not keep her locked up forever. Gwen follows the jailer out of the dungeons to the palace courtyard, as she exits the bright sun makes her squint. Once her eyes adjust to the light she notices the rope that slowly swings in the calm breeze and the raises her head high and walks to her death. She climbs the stairs to the platform and stares out into the crowd before looking up to find Madeline. once she finds her Gwen, keeps her eyes on her as the rope is placed around her neck. She refuses to let Madeline win. The spectators all look at her in wonder and astonishment as they see their banish princess and the courage she displays even when facing death. Madeline stands from her seat and addresses the crowd, “My people, here before us today is an enemy of the crown and an enemy of our kingdom. She has stolen from us, has lead many others down the road of treachery, but now, now my people, she has finally been captured and is sentenced the death that any traitor deserves.”  Once Madeline finishes she gives the signal and the rope is tightened. As the executioner places his hand on the lever for the plank an arrow flies from nowhere and cleanly cuts through the rope.

Everyone turns around looking from where the arrow came. And then a group of people all wearing cloaks throw off their hoods and among them Gwen sees Tate. She smiles. Tate runs to her side untying the ropes from her nec and hands then hands her a sword.

“Its good to see you my friend,” Gwen says, “Likewise,” Tate replies returning her smile. They both turn their attention to the soldiers that have begun to flood the courtyard. They along with other members of the Knights begin to fight through the soldiers heading to the doors leading to escape. As Gwen fights she searches for Madeline in the balcony but cannot find her. Then the Knights are sucessful and once they reach the town they quickly dispers themselves and run their seperate ways making the soldiers confused and making their escape easier.


Once Gwen and Tate are sucessfully away from the palace and well hidden in the woods the two colapse on the forest ground in exhaustion. They stay on the ground catching their breathes. Then Gwen sits up remembering everything happend in the palace, seeing her sister and hearing about her father. Her face turns grim and Tate sits up too when he looks over at her.

“What is the matter?” he asks concern in his voice.

“I need to go back,” Gwen says shooting up and grabbing her swor d which she had tossed aside when she was on the ground.
“What? I don’t understand, we just saved you and you want to go back. What are you thinking Gwen?”

“I know and I’m grateful, but I...I need to go back. I have to,” Gwen says her voice beginning to shake along with her body. Tate notices and he grabs Gwen’s arms squeezing tight and making her look him in the eyes.

“What happened?” he asks sincerely, holder tighter when Gwen tries to escape his grasp. When Gwen realizes Tate won’t let her go she gives up letting her body go slack and falling to the ground, bringing Tate with her. “What happened?” he asks again quietly. Gwen looks up into Tate’s eyes and seeing the concern and worry in them she sighed and told him everything. He sat still for a while pondering her words, one hand wrapped around hers so that she couldn’t dart away.

“So Madeline has shown you her true colors,” Tate says and Gwen nods her head hanging down, “I understand why you need to go back. I would hate myself if I did avenge my father and take my sister away to protect her, but that is not going to help us.”

“I know… I know but--”

“But nothing Gwen. If you go back now you will be killed on the spot and then what? Your father would still be dead and your sister would still be stuck there.” Tate says making Gwen hand her head lower. “

“What can I do then?” she whispers. Tate stands up pulling Gwen with him then he lets go of her hand knowing she has no energy to run.

“You will call for a war. You will become queen. But first, you will become a hero to the people, you will be known to all who hear your name as the rightful queen, and with all this, you will have your vengeance and you will win back your sister,” Tate says surely looking at Gwen with reassurance. She looks at him and smiles grateful for his friendship. Gwen nods and lifts her chin once again, knowing that Madeline will hear from her soon.



© 2019 Hatter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on April 12, 2019
Last Updated on April 12, 2019


Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter