chapt.2

chapt.2

A Chapter by DowntoEarthDreamer

I blinked my eyes sleepily a few hours later, awakened by a sharp knocking on the door. Silk, one of the star performers at the Treasure Chest had always taken it upon herself to wake the newsboys who took up residence in the basement of her work and home. She had taken me in at the age of eight and given me a job to do and had been like, not a mother exactly, she reprimanded me a little too harshly for that, more like an aunt who just wanted you to learn to survive.

"Velvet, come along, it’s time to carry the banner and all that nonsense." She sang through the door. I tried to stifle a yawn as I answered,

"Alright, thank you Silk." Most of the girls at the Treasure Chest decided to use stage names that reminded people of rich treasure.

"Would you and the little one like to join me for breakfast this morning?" I scrubbed at my face with my hands, letting the words sink in so that I was sure I understood them before letting my mind wander over it. Suddenly remembering the meal of our last loaf of bread the night before and the tantalizing memories of the meals they had lavished upon me as a little girl I couldn’t stop myself from calling back through the thin wood,

"Yeah, thank you again, Silk."

"Don’t worry about it, hun. You know you’re like family here. Take your time I’ll see you both when you’re ready." Then I heard the whisper of her thin slippers move across the hard dirt corridor to awaken the other boys.

Stretching and yawning again I slipped out of bed without yet waking Belle and stumbled sleepily over to a small water basin that was balanced on a rickety table. After breaking the thin layer of ice, I splashed my face, letting the shock of cold wake me the rest of the way up. Next I unwound from under my shirt the long strip of linen that I have been wearing to help keep the boyish façade.

Removing my shirt I tightly wrapped the cloth around my breasts, a very uncomfortable experience but it was much better then some of the alternatives. Replacing my shirt and starting to button it, I walked over and knelt next to Belle’s little face and started whispering to her. After I finished buttoning my shirt I shook her shoulder gently,

"Belle, baby doll it’s time to wake up." She whined sleepily and tried to bury under the blanket more.

"No mama…. don’t wanna…" was all I could make out in her sleep filled half baby speech. I hated waking her up this early every morning, it was almost enough to wish I still cleaned upstairs, but I hated being stuck inside all day; the work as a newsie seemed almost perfect to me. And though I was grateful for everything the performers upstairs, I wasn’t sure if I trusted them with the most important thing in my life. I pulled the blanket off her curled body and set about dressing her as warmly as I could. Layers that could be taken off upstairs in Silk’s slightly heated rooms, but had to be kept on outside so she didn’t catch cold. The colorless dress and my brown jacket almost swallowed my little girl up, but she still managed to look adorable. I put my vest over my shoulders and buttoned the black buttons that just reached my ribs. Stuffing the long braid of hair down the back of my shirt where it didn’t make that noticeable of a bump and I set my cap down tight on my head.

I held tight to Belle’s hand as we passed the boys, in varying states of dress. (Or undress as the case may be) The hard dirt floor was chilled through the thin soles of my sneakers as a gently pulled Belle along. It wasn’t that I thought that one of these boys were going to attack either of us or anything, just the way that she waved openly with that warm little smile made me nervous, what if she kept that up way past where it was appropriate; the friendly smiles and half waves she got back worried me to, I merely greeted them with a semi-friendly nod. Just when I thought the musty, wet chilly air was going to drive me insane we reached the wooden steps that always looked as though they shouldn’t be used at all, but miraculously had held up in all the years I’ve lived here.

 

Up in Silk’s room, which was decked out in real and fake, you guessed it, silks, she was stripping the dark blue sheets from the mattress and balled it up on the floor. Though it was more then obvious to me that Silk had had company the night before. Sighing to myself I settled down in a chair she offered me and removed my cap. Belle sat down in the seat right next to me and waited as I’d taught her, for Silk to tell her she could eat. I had to be careful with this as I well remembered the many times Silk had played on that and I had sat politely at the table, hands folded in my lap, starving for hours while she ate what she wanted, just watching me to see what I’d do. Thankfully she didn’t do that this time.

As the two of us were sitting there, me filling my plate with just enough food so I wouldn’t seem greedy, Silk sat there and stared at me. After a while I couldn’t stand the sensation of her eyes on me any longer so I looked up and met her gaze half way.

"You should swallow your pride and find them again." She said randomly, I stared at her, shocked and confused.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your parents, your family. They may have lost you when you were a little girl but it’s time to move past that. You should be thinking about marriage soon, and let me tell you, do it soon, even now it will be difficult with a daughter already." I was floored by this whole turn in conversation. I wasn’t sure where any of this had come from.

"Silk, is this the whole reason you asked me to breakfast?" I demanded suspiciously. She laughed a little and waved a dismissive hand at me,

"Good heaven’s no! Just something I’ve been thinking about. We may be able to fix you up with one of our wealthier patrons. I’ll ask Jet but…" I stopped listening for a few seconds as my blood ran slightly cold at the prospect of both marriage and the owner of Treasure Chest, Jet.

"No." I said suddenly, so sharply that Belle stopped eating for a moment to look at me. Silk looked up at me, startled as Belle, having never heard me raise my voice at all before.

"What do you mean no?" she asked eyeing me, "you mean to tell me that you like the way you live?"

"It’s not great but it’s a home. And I’m reasonably happy, isn’t that enough?"

"Yes of course it is dear, I just want you to have the best possible life, and since you won’t take your job back here…" she trailed off suggestively, seeing if I would take the bait, I had no intentions of doing so. I glared at her slightly across the table.

"I’m sorry Silk, I refuse to entertain lying down, I refuse. And I do not intend on getting married anytime soon, I’m almost seventeen! I have my whole life ahead of me." I knew it was a slight lie, when you lived the way I did you were never sure just how long you would have, but it was enough so that she held up her hands in submission,

"Take it easy, Velvet dear, I don’t understand because personally I find it rewarding, but I accept your decision. But remember, if you change your mind…"

"I won’t." I cut her off firmly. She sighed, but smiled sweetly at me again.

"But you know I am right about your parents, Velly," I stiffened at the unwanted nickname, "you’re too young to hate people this long."

"You see, Silk, you don’t understand. I don’t remember anything before you found me on that trolley car."

"Phsht, you were eight years old! You must!"

"But I don’t so please don’t push it."

"Why can’t Mama remember her mama?" Belle asked me in her soft voice, I smiled at her,

"My mama was a sweet lady who thought I should learn to live on my own, it’s been a long time away from her." I lied to her, I hated to do it, but I wasn’t about to tell my little girl that I didn’t care who my family was, that she was all the family I had or needed. "Fine then, go off and sell your papers. Is there anything you need?" Silk asked me, waving dismissively at me at the same time.

"If you could have someone pick up some bread for us that would be wonderful." I answered sliding a few coins across the table to her. She picked them up, pocketed them, and nodded to me,

"Alright, someone will get right on that. Have a good day." She didn’t sound like she really meant it. I sighed again, donned my cap and took Belle’s slightly sticky hand. She quickly snatched one more piece of buttered dark bread and followed me willingly out the door, waving to Silk with the hand that held the bread.

 

As I approached the distribution center where I would pay to receive my papers, Belle had already fallen back asleep, so I carried her on my back. The iron bars of the office were still shut and locked. I set Belle down on the platform of the loading dock and leaned against it next to her. I secretly eyed the other boys who came trickling through the gates with slight suspicion. But they merely gave me sleep-filled smiles or friendly waves. Having never spoken to these boys, I only knew them by sight. Yet we respected each other because we were all the same; down-on-our-luck street trash who are just trying to survive.

About ten minutes later I couldn’t seem to take my eyes off the dumpy little bald man who made his way across the compound, money box jiggling merrily under the fat of his arms. For years thoughts and plans to jump the man and steal that tantalizing metal box had circled around from mouth to ear of each of the boys. Many times I’d thought about it myself, the prospect of being able to buy my little girl almost anything she wanted was almost too much to resist. Yet alas it all seemed more a pipe dream, no one ever even attempted it.

I lifted Belle back off of the platform so she wouldn’t get trampled, set her on my back again and slipped into line behind a few boys so I could get my own papers. While shifting Belle’s position on my back, I heard one of the boys talking to Mr. DeMartin, the guy with the moneybox. I looked up, strangely curious because the voice seemed vaguely familiar. Standing there was a boy with tawny colored hair that hung just below his collar, I didn’t need him to turn around, though he did to talk to the boy behind him while waiting to be delivered his papes. Those eyes, I’d stared into them for four years now, I knew them as well as he did. His name was Jesse and he was also Belle’s father.

Pulling my cap a little lower over my eyes, I stared at the cement of the platform. I collected my papers and hightailed it out as fast as possible. I somehow managed to make my way out of the center, and while carrying a small girl and a large armload of papers that’s no easy feat. Taking the main road off to my usual selling spot, I slowly woke Belle up to make my load a little lighter. She yawned wide and clutched my hand, a few papers under one of her arms.

She was much more alert when we reached the wide side street near the factories where I made the most money. She sat calmly at my feet, amusing herself with some childish nonsense while I yelled out the mornings headline. I’d made almost thirty cents before I looked down and saw to my horror that Belle was no longer at my side. I tried not to let myself panic and looked around the street for her. Through crowds of people I couldn’t see her anywhere, here I started to really panic. Grabbing my papers off the sidewalk I started walking around in the street, looking for my little girl. As I dodged a horse and cart I got a sick feeling in my stomach and started frantically searching the ground, almost praying that Belle hadn’t been trampled by a horse, or worse, a trolley car. Once I reached the other side of the street I was frantic, I kept muttering my baby, where’s my baby, under my breath.

I was so intent on searching that I plowed head long into one of the cops who happened to be walking the beat in this neighborhood. He had a wide trustable smile as he helped me back to my feet.

"Well, well what have we here?" he knew perfectly well what he had there, well he thought he did, and I was in no mood for games.

"Please, I need to find my dau-darling little sister. She’s vanished while I was over there sellin’ me papes mister. Can ya help me find her?" I had almost given myself away in my panic but I’d caught myself just in time.

"What does she look like? I have a few little ones at home, and I can sympathize with what ya’er goin’ through." I could barely recognize what his accent was, but it didn’t matter, I barely could tell what country someone was from if it was stitched to their shirts. "She’s about this tall," I held my hand up about mid-thigh, "she has reddish-brown hair in two braids and she’s wearing a long brown jacket." The copper looked up the street and down and I felt that I wanted to scream, I’d done that already, did this man think I was feeble? He took out a small pad and a pencil and started jotting down what I could only think of as Belle’s description. Then he started walking a little ways down the street to where a small boy, maybe six or seven was hawking buttons to ladies as they passed by. "Have you seen a little girl?" then he continued to give the little boy the description I had just given him. Through the whole thing all the boy could do was shake his head mutely, he gave me a slightly sympathetic glance, but went right on selling his used buttons. I sighed heavily, I was holding back tears now, I wasn’t ever going to find my little Belle. The cop came back and looked at me a little gravely,

"I’m not sure who else I could ask if they’ve seen your sister. Most of the people around have gone into their buildings now. But never fear I will keep my eyes and ears on the orphanages for her. I think you should just go back and tell your mother right quick." I know I looked ill then, there was no need to tell the mother, the mother was standing right there watching this lack-wit do next to nothing to find my little girl.

As he sauntered off in the other direction I made a very rude gesture at his retreating back and I heard a small laugh behind me from the button-boy. Completely discouraged I flopped down on the curb, papers beside me, and put my face in my hands. All of a sudden there was a loud shriek from behind me,

"Mama!" and I felt small arms encircle my shoulders, I turned and hugged my daughter with abandon, I didn’t even scold her for not calling me Vel. Then she broke away from me, went back the way she came a few steps and pulled on the hand of a young man who was dressed as I was. She led him over to where I was sitting and gave me a bright smile, "Jesse!" she chirped. I looked up and sure enough, Belle was clutching the hand of her own father and I was the only one who had any idea. He gave me a slightly embarrassed half smile.

"Hey Mama." I was horrified, he’d heard her. Oh I was in trouble now…

"Uh, yeah about that… " He laughed a little.

"Don’t worry, I get it. I am not gonna take advantage a ya er nuttin. I kinda figgered ya might be a girl ya know? Not many guys bring they’re little sister ‘n’ stay completely bundled up even in the middle of summer." I chuckled a little myself as I realized that I was still sitting on the curb with my papers on the ground. Blessing the fact that it hadn’t snowed recently and had in fact gotten a little warmer then it had been in months, I snatched them up and stood up myself. I gave him a smile; he returned it, his more then a little amused. He held out his hand to me,

"Name’s Jesse. ‘n’ ya are?" I took his hand a shook it,

"Vel, Velvet, but ya can call me Vel." Wow I didn’t sound nervous at all… but he laughed again so I took it as a good sign.

"Well I see yer bout done sellin, ‘n’ I am too. Wanna get a bite ta eat, Vel?" the name really seemed to amuse him.

"Food mama!" Belle laughed. I sighed a little and told her to hush. We started off in one direction, Jesse in the lead.

"Ya know ya don’t gotta worry bout most a the guys ‘round here. Theys mostly good guys. Couple of um ‘s gots er at least had lil’ siblin’s. I was talkin ta Print this mornin’ ‘nd he said…"

"Wait a moment… Print? This is a person?" Belle had taken Jesse’s hand and I was feeling a little rejected.

"My friend Print yeah, he works inside wit de papes ‘n’ he’s always covered in ink so we calls him Print."

"Ya all gots nicknames?"

"Only a couple a us. But Print says he lives ‘n the same place ya two do. Says he’s tried ta be friendly wit yas cause ya always looks lonesome." I shrugged at him,

"Not exactly, I have Belle. I grew up at Treasure Chest so I know a bunch of the people upstairs."

"Hold yer horses. Ya grew up where?" he looked shocked, inwardly I laughed that my home seemed to have such an impact on him. I wasn’t sure if he had pieced together who I was but I secretly hoped so.

"I’ve lived in Treasure Chest, a vaudeville house, since I was eight years old. I worked there for a time while I was 13, but I quit soon after taking that job."

"Ya were workin’ at a vaudeville house at 13?" he sounded shocked as he tried to look closer at me. I turned and faced him; I had nothing to hide now. I knew what he saw, scrawny girl with strange marble blue eyes and red-brown hair. "So how old’s yer little sister?" I laughed a little,

"While we’re being honest here, she’s not my sister. She’s my daughter." Here he was struck positively speechless. He looked down at the little girl holding on to his hand, she did look a lot like me except for her eyes. Her eyes belonged to him. When she looked up and gave him that wide innocent smile I saw the flash of recognition in his eyes. I didn’t push it now, not knowing how he would react, but I knew. I knew he remembered who I was and that Belle was more then his friend.

We wandered on for another few minutes before we started closing in on a richly dressed man locking the door of a building. I turned and whispered to Jesse,

"Quick gimmie yer papes. Ya’ll get um back I promise." He handed his small stack over slightly reluctantly; quickly I swung Belle up on my back and motioned for Jesse to stay where he was. I stumbled over to where the man stood sticking a key in his pocket and checking the gold pocket watch and looking up and down the busy street. Keeping a discreet finger between my papes and Jesse’s I looked up at the man, looking as piteous as I could. "Please sir, I’d like ta be able ta feed my little sister… the cold weather sir… it’s taken it’s toll on her health." I hacked a cough into my elbow of the arm holding the papers, because the other held tight to Belle’s leg. The man looked skeptical for a moment before looking up the street again.

"Alright what do you want me to do?" his voice was clipped and guarded.

"Just buy a copy of The Journal, sir, just a penny." I coughed again as I felt Belle sag against me a little. She loved "playing pretend" like this. The man handed me a penny, I handed him a paper. Just then a pretty lady, a high-class lady came walking up and slipped her arm in the man’s.

"Who’s this love?" she asked, she smiled down at me.

"Simply a diseased newsie my darling, don’t worry your pretty little head about it." She looked at me and at Belle on my back,

"Oh you poor dear!" she cried, "Now, Harold, lets not be stingy. Here dear." With that she handed me a quarter and a dime. I gave her my best smile and I nudged Belle, who lifted her head and gave her a sickly smile too. The lady looked positively smitten, I think if she could she would have brought us home right then and there. "Oh Harold!" she crooned.

"No Marianne." The man said simply. Then with a dismissive hand to me, he took his wife by the shoulders and led her off down the street. I sauntered back to Jesse, handed him his papers, and let Belle down to the ground. I tried to give him a smug grin but Belle snatched back up his attention by grabbing his hand and jumping up and down a little, "Didja see me? Didja see me? Didn’t I do good?" he laughed and swung her up in his lean arms,

"Yeah, I saw’d yas. Ya did real good." My smug smile melted into a full smile watching them, I started out of my almost daze when he turned ta me ‘n’ smiled. "Hey! I thought we was goin ta get some grub."

"Lead the way, we might be able ta sell more ‘a’ our papes on the way."



© 2008 DowntoEarthDreamer


Author's Note

DowntoEarthDreamer
it's slow going getting this all posted in chapters and stuff, bare with me. honestly this is really long, but i hope it's worth it

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've done really well with the dialog and I love the characters already. Jesse seems like a good kid and I can't wait to see what becomes of their relationship since now he knows Belle is his daughter. You've left so many things unanswered and I can't wait to find out more!


Brette

Posted 16 Years Ago


I think this jesse charecter is a great edition to your story here. The father of the child and he doesn't even know it or mayb he does. You hae alot of options here. You could build the suspnse by keep him obliviou to the fact he was Belle's father or make him know now. Either way it could lead to a great edition to your story. I like him tho, you should definantly continue on with this guy he has a certain kind of charecter that is good for this kind of writing. Also i never got to praise you for your accents on your charecters. It makes it seem somuch more reaistic! Great job Dream!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 4, 2008


Author

DowntoEarthDreamer
DowntoEarthDreamer

Stafford Springs, CT



About
I'm really shy about letting people read my things, but I've loved writing and imagining since I was very little. So..in an effort to see if I actually have something that vaugly resembles talent er .. more..

Writing
 1 1

A Chapter by DowntoEarthDreamer


2 2

A Chapter by DowntoEarthDreamer