Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Kathryn Elizabeth

After the death of my mother, my world had been turned completely upside down. The memory of that day still haunted me in my waking and sleeping state, and I couldn't help but wander what my life would be like if she was still alive.

 

If she was still alive, she would have been there to tuck me in at night, and read me my favorite poem, The Tiger. She would have been there for me when I needed her most. Not to mention, if she was still around, my father would not have tried to murder me in a drunken rage. She would never have let that happen.

 

Yet, if it weren't for her death, I would never have met him.

 

* * * * *

The events that triggered my future began on my seventh birhday. I awoke early on that mid-December day, to confirm the prediction of snow that the weatherman had made the night before. I slipped out of my bed, ran to my window, and threw open the shutters. They revealed small crystals gently falling from the sky and onto the ground, which was covered in a soft blanket of white. My eyes lit up with excitement.

 

I ran down the small hallway seperating my room and the room of my parents and flung myself onto their king bed. Jumping up and down on the springy mattress, I yelled, "Wake up! Wake up! IT'S SNOWING!" My father grunted and continued his ungraceful snoring, while my mother groaned but got out of bed.

 

She shuffled over to the window to confirm my words. Opening the shutters, they revealed the same white landscape that I had seen outside my window moments before. I tugged on the bottom of her fluffy robe and demanded that we go outside. She looked down at me with a soft smile and nodded.

 

I raced downstairs to put on my boots and coat, then rushed for the door. I opened it with caution, as if somehow the snow could have melted in just a few minutes. To my delight, even more snow now covered the ground.

 

I ran outside, my mother close behind, and began to play in the snow. After a while, I asked my mother to make a snow angel with me and she agreed.

 

Standing to admire our masterpeice, we noticed that it looked like our angels were holding hands. My mother wrapped an arm around me and smiled.

 

Later that morning my mother was in the kitchen, cleaning up from breakfast. I ran over to her and gently tugged on her apron. "Mama, can I have a chocolate cake for my birthday?" She scooped me up in her arms and said, "Of course! Whatever you wish, my little princess."

 

I waved goodbye from the window as she pulled out into the street to go to the store. She blew me a kiss and smiled. Thats when I heard it. At first, I couldn't tell what it was, but then I realized it was a faint, but continuous honking noise. I looked down the street, past my mother's car, and saw a semi-truck swerving out of control. It was heading straight towards her car. I screamed as loud as I could, but she was completely unaware of what was happening as she pulled out.

 

She mouthed the words, "I love you." as the truck hit her head on.  



© 2011 Kathryn Elizabeth


Author's Note

Kathryn Elizabeth
I've decided to just turn the prologue into a few chapters of the story itself. It made more sense to me that way. Well, please read and review if you like.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love how you start this. The end of this makes me want to read even more. I hope you keep on writing because you really hook the reader into this. Great work! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your descripitions were delightfull to read. Your very good at it.
Can't wait for the the next chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on June 27, 2011


Author

Kathryn Elizabeth
Kathryn Elizabeth

GA



About
Hello there. My pen name is Kathryn, as I'm not a fan of just sharing my actual name with the world. Anyhow, here are some things about me: I love the hipster culture. Writing poems, fantasy, an.. more..

Writing