A Single Saxophone

A Single Saxophone

A Poem by Gee
"

Drinking to forget

"
Plays blue, a single saxophone,
plays heartache and despair,
to hang heavy in the gauloises fog
above the broken gathered there.
Who sit alone with half drained glass
at tables laid for two,
just memories in the chair across,
of a love that they once knew.
Cold comfort sought, cold comfort found
in stupors arms, alone,
serenaded by suicidal thoughts
and a single saxophone.




















© 2023 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love Jazz. Saxaphone and some drink. Nice flow of words took reader to somber places and memories. Jazz support to take us to lonely places and thoughts. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing poetry.

Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Thanks Coyote, not at all hard to figure you would like the atmosphere, ambience created in a place .. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Of course I would and you are welcome my friend.
This is a lovely and accomplished poem, Gee, brimming with atmosphere. You've caught the ambience the music, the bar and the clients beautifully.
There are a few things you could polish up that I could suggest.
You've made a spelling slip with the title - saxophone. To help the flow the third line might be better as 'hangs heavy in the gauloise fog'. Then 'of a love that they once knew ' makes knew correct grammatically.
Hope this helps but as a sax player i must say I really connect with this.
Regards.
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Cheers Alan. Can’t believe I’ve never noticed the misspelt title, what a knob !!!
Took yo.. read more
Very atmospheric. I really picked up on the visuals, sound and fog. Also the loneliness came through. All that in a short poem. You did well Gee.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Good morning Christine, thank you.
Break out the factor 30 and enjoy the weather. Hope you ar.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

It''s going to be a sizzler
This is a very stirring read. I have written something similar about sitting alone drinking with live music.

This is a well written piece

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Belated thanks
Just a few grammatical errors here and there, but this is a great poem with a classic rhyming scheme. keep up the good work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Cheers Jeremiah
It is sort but it speaks loudly. Great job Gee!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Cheers.....
Agreed that the 'Saxaphone' has that melancholy feel. A certain sadness comes to mind. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt piece. The sax - one of my fav. musical instrument!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Mine too. Thank you
Oh my. Oh my. Such a well painted vignette, Gee. Hats off. Just as a side comment, I think all these folk on WC who come up with banal rhymes should read this. I think you're missing an apostrophe in stupors, though I could argue the case for it coming before (most likely) or perhaps after (collective stupors).

Sublime!

Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Cheers Nigel, glad you enjoyed
This is a sad piece. Lonely chair filled with only memories.

Think we have all had a similar experience at one point.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

I think you may well be right.
Thank you Beauty
Poetic Beauty

6 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Exquisite scene setting - the cafe scene in Paris and the lost souls within hanging on the saxophone's every note. Yes, this is class.

I think the quatrain that starts with 'Who..." might be better served starting with 'They'. The preceeding full stop kinda dictates that I feel. Otherwise the quatrain in question should have a question mark because it started with 'Who...'.

You and me Gee, I think are experimenting with layout and pauses for effect. It's not easy to achieve. Some make it look easy (it flummoxes me everytime).

Hope this helps. ;)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Change made, cheers mate.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1476 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2017
Last Updated on February 17, 2023
Tags: Loneliness.....

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..