Kneel before the king

Kneel before the king

A Chapter by Honey21

" how dare you? How dare you betray your king and your land to serve these dirty barbarians?" said the princess in an angry tone.  She was surrounded by soldiers and one of them held her horse's bridle to prevent her from riding away. Dara said nothing, just got off his horse and came to me with a rope to tie my hands. As angry and scared that I was with our situation, I was glad that Dara came to tie me up.I did not want those soldiers near me. He was avoiding an eye contact, not wanting to see my anger and desperation. 
I knew him too well, his father was a knight in the late king's army and he became one when he was only 16. He was brave and skilled, but power thirsty and greedy, always jealous of Aria's position. He believed that Aria's job should have been his and I also suspected that he had an eye for Roxanne just like others even though he never formally proposed to her. But what caused him to commit the ultimate crime of betrayal? To break the knight's code and reveal battle plans to a barbarian king? Why did he hate us so much? It did not make any sense.
He returned to his horse and told others to move towards the castle. His horse was in the front and mine was in the back while princess was riding in the middle, two soldiers walking on each side and keeping an eye on her. I looked around as we rode across the wood, still hoping that someone would have come to our rescue. As we got closer to the city, we heard screams and laughters coming from inside the walls. My heart broke: the barbarians were looting houses, killing and probably raping defenceless women. 
I closed my eyes, but the images of Atusa trapped in the castle and surrounded by those dirty soldiers filled my mind, i could not take it anymore. I shouted to Dara: " you are a disgrace to our country and to your family! How can you stand by and watch as these animals attack our people?" Dara turned around and shot me an angry look, there was something in his eyes, so much hatred that frightened me to death. Roxanne saw his silence and said:" was it worth it Dara? How much did you sell yourself for? Did they pay you money or promised you something else?" 
Dara Did not say anything which made me more mad. We got to the city gate, now guarded by their soldiers and as we entered I could not believe the horror I was witnessing. People were running around trying to get away from barbarians as they chased them to take their valuables and anyone resisting or struggling would have been beaten, injured or killed. After taking their properties, jewellery and even their cloths, men were separated from women, gathered in a corner. I shivered thinking about the horror ahead, they were going to slaughter them just like they did in Ashur. Dara stopped and ordered a soldier to call the king and let him know that he was back And he had brought the runaway princess.
I could not see Alexander so I assumed he was in the castle and gave authority to theses animals to do as they pleased. It was their reward after all. A door opened and a young girl ran out, followed by a savage barbarian shaking his sword and trying to catch her. She Was running as fast as she could, her small feet were bare and her long skirt did not let her move easily. She slipped and fell on the ground sobbing, as her follower caught up with her. He lifted her up with one hand and threw her on a pile o hey. She was screaming, crying and begging for him to let her go as he slapped her and telling her to shut up and open her legs. I closed my eyes, this was too much for me to digest and the fact that there was nothing I could do made me even more mad. Dara intentionally had stopped there so we saw what was happening to our people.
Then everything changed, I did not see how Roxanne got off her horse or ran through her guards, I opened my eyes and she was there, right behind the barbarian soldier and before anyone could recover from their shocks, she drew her small dagger and plunged in into his back. 
No one had thought of taking the dagger away from the princess, it was seen as a decorative object more than a weapon. Very few knew that Noble women were carrying a dagger for protection as well as beauty. The soldier screamed in pain and tried turning as he brought one hand to his back to remove the dagger. He saw the princess and with the remainder of his power, attacked Roxanne.
Roxanne dodged and turned to find something to defend herself. The man was huge and although Roxanne's dagger was deep in his back, it was not enough to eliminate him. Dara jumped off his horse and rushed to the scene to try and rescue the princess from the dangerous man but before he reached them a shout stopped all the commotion. 
"What is going on here? What are you doing?"
It was Alexander and he sounded really angry. He came straight to where we were and he realised what happened by looking at the wounded soldier, who was now on the ground moaning of pain, and Roxanne who was helping the sobbing girl to stand and cover herself. Dara seemed nervous as he rushed to him to explain:" My Lord, it was not our fault, we were watching her the whole time .."
He stopped as Alexander shot him an angry look, and then turned to face Roxanne. She stood there, her head high showing no fear or shame. 
"Why did you attack my soldier?" asked Alexander.
" he was going to take away an innocent girl's honour and rape her like an animal he is!" replied Roxanne in a firm voice. Alexander seemed amused, a smile curved his lips. "what did you expect? We won our war and now everything and everyone in this land belongs to us. That girl is also our property." 
" I did not expect more from you, after all you are barbarians and do not know much about civilised behaviour. We, on the other hand, know that even if we are victorious in a battle, the chivalry act to do is to respect our captives and be gracious towards them."
I held my breathe, I knew she had crossed the line by insulting this man. Alexander walked around Roxanne in a circle, his face not showing any sign of anger but his smile was still there.
" what you think of us my lady, really makes me unhappy. I believe that in return of all the sacrifices my men had done in this battle, they have the right to take properties and have a good time. As their king, I give them permission to do so. However..."
He paused as he walked closer to princess:" I respect your concerns towards this people princess and as an act of good will, to show you how civilised I can be, I am willing to order their freedom and return all their properties....if you ask me nicely."
There was a silence and all eyes were fixed on Roxanne who was trying to keep her chin up. She seemed confused and lost, not knowing exactly what to say.
" come on princess, it is not that hard. Ask me, kneel before the new king of  Peria and beg for his forgiveness for your people."
He stood just a step away from Roxanne, his eyes waiting for her reaction. She stood still, torn away between her pride and people's lives. She looked at the people, men and women with torn and blood stained clothes waiting to see what she would do. It was a heart breaking moment but she had to make a choice.
She slowly kneeled, her head still high and her eyes fixed on Alexander." I beg of you to release this people and not harm them." she said as her voice was trembling. Alexander then stretched his arm to her waiting for a kiss on his hand. This was too much.
She looked around as if she was saying to everyone that I am doing this for people, then she took his hand and lifted her veil carefully not to be seen and planted a kiss. Alexander's smile turned into a smirk as he took her hand and Lifted her to her feet. She immediately tried to take her hand out but he did not let go as he turned to his soldiers and announced in a big voice:" from now on, these people are free, no one can take their property or their women. Anything you have taken, you must return. You are not permitted to harm them or attack them unless in self defence. Anyone disobeying these orders will be executed. Understood?"
The soldiers Looked deeply unsatisfied but mostly shook their head in agreement. People were looking at Roxanne with gratitude and appreciation mixed with compassion as she was struggling to release her hand from Alexander's grip. Alexander turned to Dara:" take her to the room with other women in the castle." and released her hand. That was when I realised the women were not able to escape and my Atusa was captured by these savages. She was probably scared and worried about her daughter.  Dara took a step to grab Roxanne's arm and take her away but she did not let him touch her. She started to walk towards the castle with Dara following her. Dara turned red in anger but did not say anything as he followed her. Before they entered the castle, he suddenly remembered me, still on the horse with tied hands and asked Alexander:" what about him my lord?" Alexander noticed me and said:" Bring him in, I want to ask him some questions."
Roxanne stopped with concern, probably scared for my life. I was scared too, but I was also happy that I did what I promised Atusa, I brought her back her daughter. She disappeared inside and I was taken off the horse by two rough soldiers as they pushed me towards the gates of the castle and after that to the great hall.
They pushed me on the ground and stood back waiting for their king. I raised my head and was shocked by what I saw, the beautiful hall was now a picture of mess. All the valuables had been taken, vases and statutes broken and because it was full of wounded soldiers the smell was unbearable. 
Alexander entered the room, the first thing I noticed was that there was no formalities between him and his men. No one bowed, no one announced his entrance. He seemed like one of them, not a king or leader. I also noticed a bandage around his shoulder, he was wounded.
He walked to me and glanced carefully. " so, you were Darius's advisor."
"yes, i was." i said, trying to keep my voice steady.
" you did not do a good job. Did you advice him on his response to my message?"
"no, it was the king's decision. I actually warned him about the consequences but he did not listen."
" it is hard to believe. What were you doing in the battle field with the princess?"
" she wanted to talk to her brother and I was there to bring her back"
He paused for a moment and then said: " why did not she escape?" 
" she did not want to leave other women in harem behind." i was answering him truthfully, my instinct told me that was the only way to survive.
"Dara has told me how clever you are, but also that you are deeply faithful to Darius and because you were his advisor, i should kill you or at least send you to dungeon. Give me a good reason why I should not do that."
I shivered in fear of my life, i also knew what expected me in dungeon and actually I prefered death. I thought for a moment and said:" you should not do that because I can help you."
" help me? I do not need your help!"
" but you do, my lord. You will need my help in dealing with this country and people who do not know, trust or even like you as their new king."
" i do not need someone to teach me how to rule my land, I am the king and What I say is what is best for my people." 
He moved his hand in boredom signing soldiers to take me away. As they got closer, I said hurriedly:" but that is not all. I can help you to obtain princess's heart."
He paused for a moment:"Why would I want her heart? She is mine now, my captive, my prisoner, my property. I can do to her as I please."
He sounded uncertain. I took the opportunity and said:" because if she does not love and trust you, you can not have her forever. You know that all the other kings in other lands want her? Now that she is captive, they will come to fight you and rescue her which means your tired army has to fight against their fresh soldiers and you are bound to be defeated against one of them who will take over the land and the princess." i looked at him and he was deep in thought. So I continued quickly:" but if she loves you, if she stays with you willingly, they would not dare to consider a chance for themselves with her. She will be yours as well as this land forever."
"that, actually makes sense. Ok, you shall stay here as a part of my new court. But you are not allowed to leave the castle or do anything without permission from me."
I bowed:" your wish is my command my king." i had to see Atusa as soon as possible, i thought. And I have to find a way to save her and Roxanne.




© 2012 Honey21


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on June 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 23, 2012


Author

Honey21
Honey21

United Kingdom



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Honey21


chapter one chapter one

A Chapter by Honey21