Two toddlers wore rain

Two toddlers wore rain

A Poem by Relic

In the yard, in the fog
of a heavy downpour

two toddlers wore rain 
like tight-fitted jeans

which clung to their clothes
so soggy, and yet ~

in moments of glee
with a spin and a spree

they laughed and laughed
to a thousand thuds

as each thundering thump
of their shiny red boots

forced a violent splatter.
But what does it matter?

For youth is a moment
cleaved to a cloth

made of exquisite fabric
for a future memory.

© 2023 Relic


Author's Note

Relic
Second try.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

well as I didn't see the first try all I can say is the second reads like a charm. indeed memories are born of toddlers jumping through puddles in their tight blue jeans and red rubber boats.

ken

Posted 1 Year Ago


Relic

1 Year Ago

Thanks for the read and comment, Ken. :)
Wonderful poem about the innocence of childhood and, the fun to be had without rules. Just reading this made me smile and chuckle at the imagery. Great read my friend!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Relic

1 Year Ago

I appreciate the comment, Temp. Thanks. :)
This is so beautiful! The care free spirit of a child was captured so effortlessly in your words. It definitely brought back a feeling of nostalgia. Wonderfully imagery masterfully crafted to tell a tale. Thank you so much for sharing!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Relic

1 Year Ago

Thank YOU very much for such a kind review, Emunah. 😀
Emunah June.

1 Year Ago

You’re positively welcome! Thank you for blessing me!
Relic

1 Year Ago

.....................😀😊
A sweet poem about the innocence of childhood, when jumping in puddles was much fun and standing in rain was magical, unaware it could make us sick. The joy and longing to be an innocent child again like these toddlers in the poem! Thanks for sharing!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Relic

1 Year Ago

I'm sure in my childhood I jumped through lots of puddles. Thanks for the comment, Aura. :)
Aura

1 Year Ago

My pleasure!
Ah, to be a child again, to embrace the world with such joie de vivre. Lovely poem!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Relic

1 Year Ago

Thanks very much, :)
I can hear the steady pattern of rain and the giggles of children lightly folded within it.
Plus it is raining 🌧 here today but I have been denied the little red boots.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Relic

2 Years Ago

You need some totes. :)
Thanks, Cherrie.
Oh, what great pictures of memories this poem brought back. Thanks for a great read, and the childhood rerun!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Relic

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, JE. :)
Well worth a second visit. The subject matter here is so visual and heart warming. Kids at play, how that can brighten a dull day. Wellie boots and puddles. Lovely.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Relic

2 Years Ago

Thank you for the comment, Chris. :)
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

You know I keep coming back to this one Tim because it is joyful and alive with fun imagery. Lovely... read more
Relic

1 Year Ago

I appreciate that, Chris. Thank you. :)))
“For youth is a moment
cleaved to a cloth
made of fine fabric
for a future memory”
So very beautiful and so true Tim. Lovely imagery, flow, cadence, rhyme. Kids laughing in the rain with all the a abandon of youth and innocence- a diamond of a thought…

Posted 2 Years Ago


Relic

2 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it, Annette. Thanks. :)
Your ability to take the reader from the corridors of thoughts held captive behind a computer screen to the puddles of rain where the children are frolicking and having such grand fun is amazing!

I can feel the sprinkles of water, hear their laughter as they stomp with glee, but most of all, have an intense desire to return to the days when as a child I danced and played in the rain!

You have indeed created fine fabric for future memory!!
(Now, just where is that wash cloth to remove the mud from me and my pretty new dress?)

Posted 2 Years Ago


Relic

2 Years Ago

haha, I appreciate your thoughts, Sheila, Thank you. :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
26 Reviews
Added on March 6, 2022
Last Updated on March 7, 2023

Author

Relic
Relic

About
I've been here since 2009. - Tim - Thanks for reading and any reviews. more..

Writing
Clouds Clouds

A Poem by Relic