Chapter 3: Bad Hunt

Chapter 3: Bad Hunt

A Chapter by Ice Girl

We flew in complete silence. It was strange to feel natural riding on the dragon as if I’ve been riding it before and to hear beating of dragon’s wings in the air. The feeling always calmed me down and helped me whenever I was upset. Like I had experienced that feeling some time before.
I searched my memory of any images or moments that happened which were something like this and when I thought that I saw glimpse of image that was similar, ache shot through my head almost making me fall off Orego. Luckily he moved the balance on the right when I was falling on left therefore saving me somewhat.
Pain still fresh, I coughed and massaged my temples trying to push it away with my weak healing powers. Orego glanced at me before looking back forward. “Are you okay, Violet?” I took a deep breath and feeling the pain go away faintly, I rasped. “Yes. I’m good and never been better. Now would you please focus on looking for place to land, okay?” My hurting head made me not able to raise my voice but still I sounded angry enough to convince him. At least I hoped.
Minute by minute, throbbing went away and left me shivering under cold air of the sky and clouds. I just had to not to bring my cloak. Strong wind blew into my back therefore messing my hair up by lashing it at my face. Groaning, I pushed my hair back and while trying to get it under control, Orego laughed roaring up into the sky. Low rumble underneath me made me lose control of my flying hair again so I narrowed my eyes at him as his laugh echoed in my mind. “What the heck are you laughing about, dragon?”
He shook his head eyes flashing silver with laughter or maybe it was just trick of the faint light of the sun. “Nothing, my dear cold master.” He turned to look forward and as I shivered again, his laughter again echoed across the sky probably betraying our location. Every dragon turned his head to look at us and I scowled at Orego. “Just tell me, you stupid, if you want to be called again.”
He looked at me again like the answer was already obvious and when my look grew more annoyed, he said. “If you want to be warm, you could cast a spell to summon your cloak.”
I sighed. Damn, why did he have answers to everything? Before I extended my hand to summon the cloak, I stopped and smiling proudly of myself, I shook my head. “No. I can’t, because all my cloaks hold no magic so basically I can’t summon them. Ha!” Orego laughed again and replied to my smart answer. “Actually, without having magic on them, you can actually summon them, dear master. Just a simple suggestion.” He smiled toothy smile and looked back forward.
Yeah, he was always right. I decided that I didn't need the cloak anymore and therefore I relaxed myself thinking about warmth. Trying to ignore the cold air at my back, I looked down and saw that we were almost there. After several seconds I tapped Orego and he, with short nod, dived down straight at the ground. Judging by the sounds behind us, everyone else dived too with some hesitation. Before we’d hit the ground, dragon spread its wings and we landed quietly and yet safely. When we did, I hopped down from Orego and looked around noticing that everyone was already down. 
The dragons bowed their heads to us and flew off back up into the grey sky that never ended. When they were nothing but mere dots in the sky, I turned around to the people and wiped my hand down my face but then looked at them tiredly and said coolly.  “Listen up.” Few that were standing close backed away from me to appropriate distance but still enough to hear me. Resisting urge to sigh, I continued sitting down on the ground. “Alright, so we make groups of three people. Each group must catch at least two vampires or something else and if something gets in your way, use your imagination to get rid of it. I don’t care how many vampires you catch or don’t. Only thing I want that you’ll bring at least one vampire back. Got it?” They nodded quickly.
“Blue sparks are for help to anyone that is nearby and red sparks mean that you are going back. Meeting place is beside girls’ side of the building and you must be back before 5 pm. Understood?” They nodded again and soon broke off in small groups starting to talk about it but I snapped bringing their attention back on me. “What the heck? Was I even finished? No!”
Taking a deep breath, I massaged aching muscles of my neck and continued when everyone was looking at me. “To recognize any type of creature, you must know how to. Did we learn this?” I looked at nearest person and she nodded. “Great then you know how to identify them. You can go now.” I waved them off and some of them almost immediately ran into the shadows. 
After everyone was gone, the clearing was quiet as well silences and my breathing was the only thing that interrupted it. Good thing for me since my headache didn't go away this morning no matter what I did and that everyone really was gone. Being able now to heave a sigh, I relaxed on the ground and closed my eyes. And yet once again my peace was interrupted as voice called beside me. “ Aren't you going to hunt as well?”
I turned my head and looked lazily at Drake. “Why are you still here? Many girls would to go with you. Go make their wishes complete.” I looked back up to the sky watching as the clouds moved slowly across it no end of them. They were free though and yet they needed to travel in order to maintain a balance. I grimaced and put my arm over my eyes even though there was no light.
Hearing shuffling of clothes and rustle of grass, I removed my arm and saw that Drake reached out to me and rested his hands on my head lightly muttering words that somehow were unknown to me. Instantly warmth spread through me and when it was gone, the headache went away as well. 
“What did you do?” I murmured as he removed his hands grinning wildly. Drake simply shrugged then. “I made your pain go away. Didn't you notice that, Violet?” He spread his arms as if he wanted to hug me, but I stood and brushed myself from small pieces of grass the warmth from the spell he preformed lingering. I looked down on him my hands on my hips. “Are you coming or not?”
“Of course I am!” His grin widened and he stood up his hand going through his hair messing it up and making it look cuter. I rolled my eyes and walked into the tree line of the forest heading where I believed was the hot spot for monsters. So it would quite an adventure to fight them all by myself now that pain was all gone.
Drake followed after me perhaps afraid to be left alone or just to annoy me. I’d rather walk with wolves than with him and he knew that but still he was walking right beside me. I ignored sounds that he was making by stepping on dry leaves, snapping branches and focused on the other sounds of the forest even if they were none. You never know when you might find something. 
“So, Violet, how long have you been in the Academy already?” He asked tucking his hands into pockets of his pants looking forward. I glanced at him and back forward not wanting to meet his eyes. “ I've been there for three years at all.” With corner of my eye, I saw him nod and sigh then. 
Sudden call of rare bird echoed through the forest making us freeze and look around. His hand flew to his sword as mine went to my dagger that was strapped to my leg. We took out our weapons and waited till another cry torn through the woods as I flinched trying not to get nervous. I did this before many times so why were I so nervous about this?
Taking another look around, I noticed then that Drake was gone and the cries were gone as well. Maybe it was him that was tricking me and my guess that he was laughing somewhere far away from me. Even if that was my theory, I raised my dagger and kept my guard on as my body didn't seem to want to move.
Crunch of leaves and dull thud sounded behind me and I turned around sending my dagger flying at the dark figure. Its arm moved up and it batted the dagger away as if it was a fly. I crouched down ready to pounce but it burst laughing that almost sent shivers down my spine but I stopped myself in time raising a brow. “What are you laughing about?”
  “What are you doing on our side?” It asked fog wrapping around it making me not able to figure what it was. I stepped closer and took out another dagger aiming it at where I believed its head was. It chuckled again and fog went away leaving handsome guy before me his eyes red as rubies and his teeth sharpened.
“Well, first of all, forest is everyone’s.” I stated matter - of - factly holding up my hand to cut him off before he could say anything else. “Second of all, we came to hunt on you, monsters, for our pleasure. So either come into the sleeping spell or run like there’s no tomorrow.” My eyes probably grew darker and my grin grew colder when I was getting more exciting about chasing the prey and I straightened up ready to attack but before I even could come close, he disappeared with burst of flame with dry, short laughter.
Sudden force at my back knocked me down on the ground face - first and when I rolled away from my previous standing place, fire erupted on the spot where would have been my head on the ground where I fell. Guy appeared beside me and grabbing hold of my arm pulled me up roughly almost dislocating my shoulder. Shock mixed with ache registered on my face as he pushed me into the tree quick almost breaking my lower back bones but luckily enough we wizards couldn't be harmed that much like normal humans out there.
His beautiful features flickered almost turning in uglier ones but the appearance finally settled on prettier one. He leaned closer to me into my face and growled lowly as he spoke through his gritted teeth. “You cannot harm us nor take us. If so, rest will come and hunt down all you pathetic wizards.” Just as I prepared myself to kick him where it really hurts, something struck him from behind making him stagger and almost fall down on the ground before he caught himself the last moment. 
Drake stood before me devilish grin on his face beaming at his success. When the creature balanced himself and turned around to attack him, it stopped and looked at Drake wide �" eyed. “What are you doing here?” He scowled and something briefly was shown in his green eyes but before I could make it out, it was gone just as quick. Creature looked back at forth between us and slowly started to back away but with another kick from Drake, it went down on the ground hitting its head pretty hard.
Watching it go down, I frowned. Was it my imagination or was it that it didn't defend itself when Drake kicked it? I mean like, it was probably much stronger than him and still when pretty guy saw him, horror and scared look passed over his face. Right now, it struggled to get up as I set my foot on its chest and pressed down leaning closer. I spoke lowly then keeping my face straight. “Where are the others?”
“I am right here.” Voice called behind me and I turned my head seeing that same pretty looking creature held Drake with knife at his throat. “Let him go.” The creature which looked like a girl said with scratchy voice nodding to the guy underneath my foot. When I shrugged and let him go, guy massaged his chest and bowed his head to Drake. “I’m sorry, Your Highness, but you have to come with me.”
I was taken back even just by those two words. Did he just say ‘Your Highness’? To Drake? The thought made me laugh out loud and two creatures looked at me as if I've gone mad. Drake rolled his eyes and replied. ‘I’m sorry, but you got wrong person. I’m student in Academy.” Girl frowned and looked up to the tree tops with a toothy grin. “Get her.” As I looked up, two shadows jumped down on the ground and again, pretty looking creatures of same group took hold of my arms twisting them behind my back. 
“You are coming with us, too, dear.” Creatures purred into my ear sending unpleasant shivers and gripped at my sides roughly almost ripping fabric with its sharp nails. My gaze went to Drake who seemed to be bored with this situation and meeting my gaze, he smiled lazily which was probably yet the most charming smile that I've seen. That thought sent spark to my anger instantly lighting it up and using that sort of power, I zapped creatures and broke free from their grasp.
I had to think fast. I looked around me to use anything, just anything to hurt them. The two creatures started to come in closer and closer holding the arms out as if they want me to hug them. Wicked smile crept up to my lips and I with swift motion send fire at both of them. Fire caught on with the some sort of clothing they were wearing and soon enough they cried out tearing the fabric from themselves. 
Even when they got rid of the burning clothes still leaving some to cover their lower half of body, burn marks still were on their porcelain skin making me smile. As my gaze moved to Drake and creature that held him, I noticed that girl wasn't there and Drake was on the ground tied up struggling to get free. When I moved to free him, force again struck me from behind hurting my aching back once again and before I got go down face first, hands gripped me shoulders and pulled me back. 
Nails dug into my skin making me cry out and low chuckle that came behind from the pretty girl before sharp teeth sunk into my neck. First feeling was just coolness of girl’s hold but then fire started to burn through my body possibly poisoning my blood system and my whole self. I forced back the tears that I knew that were not needed to be shed in this situation and tried to move my arms but pain grew along with the living fire that was still going through my system.
Shout from someone made the girl remove her teeth from my neck licking her lips as her eyes grew redder and her teeth grew longer. “Your blood is tasty, princess. Although I really do wonder what are you really. I know for sure that you are not a simple wizard of course.” She purred and pushed me down on the ground sending stabs of pain through me again. I curled up hoping that it would stop the fire from burning me inside out but it just grew and grew to abnormal temperatures. My cries echoed all around me along with laughter of cruel creatures that gathered around me clearly enjoying my pain.
  Sudden stop of fire and arms around me made me sigh with relief and whoever held me, I leaned closer to the gentle warmth of body. Sharp language in my mind was directed to the creatures whose laughter ended and they murmured perhaps apologies of some sort to the person or creature that was holding me.
Gentle whisper came beside me relaxing me. “I’m really sorry.” Before I could try to open my eyes to look at my savior, my mind went blank as I became unconscious. 


© 2012 Ice Girl


Author's Note

Ice Girl
Sorry that it took awhile...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow VERY WELL DONE ICEGIRL! I must congratulate you on this very well thought out story. My suggestion would be to try and focus on one idea per chapter or to describe your surroundings a bit more. You do use a lot of descriptive language which truly makes the reader feel as if they are part of the story which is great! The last line is great really engages the reader to the next chapter! Again Well Done! Can`t wait to read more about Violet.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wonder who that person was... :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ice Girl

11 Years Ago

thank you!
Wow VERY WELL DONE ICEGIRL! I must congratulate you on this very well thought out story. My suggestion would be to try and focus on one idea per chapter or to describe your surroundings a bit more. You do use a lot of descriptive language which truly makes the reader feel as if they are part of the story which is great! The last line is great really engages the reader to the next chapter! Again Well Done! Can`t wait to read more about Violet.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 25, 2012
Last Updated on November 25, 2012


Author

Ice Girl
Ice Girl

Canada



About
Hello, guys! What to tell... Well, I a simple romantic and fantasy lover so anything that goes from elves to trolls is perfect for me to read. I dislike books that don't have any romance (not even a .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 - Max Chapter 2 - Max

A Chapter by Ice Girl