Chapter 5: Unfortunate News

Chapter 5: Unfortunate News

A Chapter by Ice Girl

I turned my head to him and focused icy glare on him. “Get your dirty hands off me.” Drake pouted cutely but instead of removing his hand, he moved it slightly lower. Scowl formed on my lips as my hand itched for a blade to strike him. “You think I’m joking? Drake, if you won’t remove your hand now, I’m going to make sure that you remove it quickly. Understood?” While I was smiling at him charmingly, he slightly shrank back and nodded swiftly taking his hand away as quickly as possible. “Good boy.” I patted his head before turned back to the silent lands.
Grumbling under his breath, Drake stretched and yawned silently acting more like a cat. I watched him easily making it seem like I was looking at the moon but instead my eyes were on him. His hair was fluffed up, his eyes were making changes from silver to stormy grey in seconds, his lean but yet muscular arms were showing off from the ripped shirt and I stopped myself there not letting my gaze travel any further. He scratched his head and turned to look at me his gaze scanning me over and over. As annoying feeling yet again begun to rise, he looked away and said. “I’m tired. Can you take me to your room since I’ve nowhere to sleep?”
“Yes. Fine.” I turned around and headed back towards the room, the dress shuffling and glistering at slightest movement. Feeling his eyes on my back, I quickly turned into another hallway and continued our way quicker. He still followed me with same speed and still looking at my back as if I had a target there and he was shooting daggers with his eyes at it. 
When we stopped at the heavy black double doors, I turned around and he stopped averting his gaze downwards as I continued to stare at him trying to figure out what his deal was about staring at me. At last I turned around and opened the door for him into the room. Drake almost instantly walked inside the room and to the bed slumping down on it also spreading his arms and legs on it as if marking his own. I followed him inside taking a seat on the chair beside the window and pulled up my legs looking out of the window watching as second by second rain started to fall and droplets rolled down the window lonely by themselves.
Thoughts kept going into my mind poisoning it from inside out making me turn sadder and madder at each second until Drake rolled on the bed and faced me starting once again to watch me while I watched the droplets roll down the window slowly. Finally he said as if he was calling me over. “Oy, Violet!” I turned my head and raised my eyebrow as he continued. “So, I expect you are on good terms with Mr. Duke? Since he treated you so delicately and let you keep me as a slave.” I shrugged mindlessly but he pressed on. “Oh, come on! You are either really into him or just using him to get out of here. So which one of it, princess?” He grinned finally stopping with his blabbering.
“Well, if you want to pay me a price then I’ll answer you. If you don’t, I’m not speaking to you at all.” I crossed my arms to make it look like I was completely serious about it and turned my head back around struggling to hide my smile. Drake laughed softly afterwards he stood up in his ragged clothes and stood in the moonlight with his hands on his hipbones. Even with just a show of slightest bit of skin made me blush as I found myself staring and avert my gaze back down to my hands that were slightly shaking.
He walked over and grabbing my hand gently yet firmly, he pulled me up and against him his other hand moving to my back making me unable to move at all as I stared up to him. My heart once again at the closeness begun to beat faster while I froze there. Drake stood before me expressionless for the first time after hours of smiling also not moving. This unspoken moment gave me an opportunity to look into his eyes and search for any darkness or evil like usually did. When the search came back clean and only with pure goodness which was obviously fake, I noticed that he leaned forward closer and closer by each second. 
Sudden knock came making us jump away from each other and gave us few seconds to collect ourselves before door opened and Mr. Duke looked inside frowning. “Violet, feel free to explore library or whatever you want in this mansion. It’s going to become your home soon enough.” He beamed at me again with sharp teeth and ghastly shade of his red eyes and I almost tried backed away but warm arm came around my shoulders moving me closer to warmer body as Drake answered back coldly. “She will. Right after I do my job.” Mr. Duke’s smile turned into some more terrible grimace before he erased his expression and nodded leaving us alone.
I sighed with relief and moved closer to warmth wrapping my arms around him closing my eyes. Next second awareness dawned on me and I tried to jump away but he hugged me closer to him inhaling deeply. Standing there for couple of minutes in complete silence, I slowly let myself forget what I was doing, where I was and completely with whom I am right now. He spoke lowly breaking the silence that once again started to drift between us. “You smell so nice, princess. You can come by any time to me for a hug. I’ll always be there for you.”
Emotions almost choked me as I stood there saying nothing in response. Shock, anger, relief and frustration boiled through me causing me to be unstable to do anything of any sort. First things that popped into my mind was something like how could he say that? How could he even think that he could say these things like they were nothing? He probably said all of these things to every single girl to get her attention and to make her like him. Anger pushed down all other useless emotions and I pushed Drake away glaring at him. “Go away.”
Drake stared at me dumbfounded creating new form of annoyance in me while he said nothing. Lastly he responded hanging down his head in polite manner. “I apologize for whatever I’ve done to offend you. I’ll take my leave now.” My head nodded by itself as my finger pointed to the door sending him out even though the thoughts that I had about him doing this to every other girl somehow begun to disappear. Maybe after all he was doing all of this for me.
While he was walking to the door slowly, I did quick thinking on the spot and walked after him grabbing his arm as I pulled him back. Drake twisted around to look at me questioning look filling his look. “Well, you can’t go anywhere with these kind of clothes. Come.” I dragged him to the closet and picked out pants and shirt that I thought will suit him. When I turned around to hand them over to him, he grabbed them and left quickly into the bathroom to change.
As I waited for him to come back, I sat down on the bed untying the back of my dress and letting the first layer of it swipe down on the floor noiselessly. It was quite a pity to rip the dress later so instead of keeping other layers on, I took them off and folded them neatly on the nightstand taking a seat on the bed. Minute later I laid down on the bed grinning instantly as the mattress was soft but strong enough to hold me. Now I saw why Drake enjoyed the bed so much after all. Soon enough I curled up in a ball and soon enough I realized the night gown that I wore wasn’t protecting me from cold. Forcing myself to embrace the cold since I was too lazy to pick up the blanket, I closed my eyes wishing to be asleep already.
Then the door opened and Drake supposedly walked out and around the big bed before he stopped near me looking at me. Soft shuffling signaled to me that he knelt down then soft caress on my cheeks was as gentle as it could ever be. He moved closer dipping his head down to my face low enough for me to feel his hot breath then all of a sudden he pulled away standing up. Drake shuffled around for a bit around the room then laid a blanket on me starting to pace muttering curses in different languages and words.
Faint smile spread on my lips while I was slowly falling asleep. 

Sharp poking in my ribs lifted me up from the veil of sleep consciousness getting back to me while the poking still went on and on. To the last point, I opened my eyes and snapped sitting up also turning my head in the direction of poking. “Get off!” Vision instantly came back leaving me staring at Mr. Duke with startled expression. Blush crept over my cheeks as well as I opened my mouth to apologize but Mr. Duke smiled and shook his head interrupting me. “Don’t worry about it. I’m genially sorry about what I did.”
My head nodded sooner than my mind registered what I was doing then I lay back down onto the heavenly bed with soft sigh escaping. If I continued to be here, I would never get tired of this bed and the pillows. Ever.  Mr. Duke softly chuckled and touched my hair brushing it away from my face. “You are quite beautiful, Violet, even if you are said to be so cold.” With all my control, I laid still and careful enough not to say anything that might offend him. Who knows what he’ll do when he’s angry. 
He took his hand away and stood straightening out his expensive looking jacket. “Besides, if you are wondering where your servant is, he’s right outside the doors. Do you want me to call him?” I shook my head and he nodded surprising me by leaving without saying any other word. That was quite fantastic that he left without any force to make me join him to dinner which left me wondering why he did actually did not say anything.
Then door opened once again and Drake stepped through it wearing more formable clothes which perfectly outlined his torso making me blush faintly. He smiled enjoying perhaps that I was still in my nightgown. “Good morning, princess. Breakfast is ready for you.” I nodded and he bowed then walking over to me holding out a robe for me to get into it. 
I looked at him suspiciously slowly rising from the bed and sliding my arms into the sleeves waiting for him to let go of it but he only wrapped his arms around me and tied up the robe before I even had a chance to register. Deciding not to object, I walked out of the room and through the hallways with Drake following behind me towards the grand dining room. When the way started to become unclear, Drake stepped in front of me and guided me directly to that room as if he knew this mansion like back of his hand.
He walked inside before me as I trailed after him into the chamber and instead of adoring the riches presented before me, I looked around for an escape route that would lead me back to Academy. Mr. Duke was seated near the table his leg over another newspaper in his hands his face ceased with worry and after I came in, he looked up and smiled again with his ghastly smile. “Violet! I’m so glad that you decided to join me for breakfast.” He laid down the newspaper and walked to me his arms outstretched. Drake stepped around and stood in front of me blocking Mr. Duke’s way as I walked around them both to the chair with newspaper.
When I picked it up, the bold letters instantly brought my attention:

MURDER OF SYLVESTER ROLAND, THE RIGHT HAND OF PARLIAMENT

I instantly sat down on the comfy, big chair and begun to read:

Sylvester Roland, the right hand of Parliament that rules over London, had been murdered this morning. He had been found in his bedroom with dagger wound right in his chest but no weapon was found in the room itself. Police said that murderer was really good and skilled by being able to go through the guards and into the room undetected.
Guards told us that they saw no one go through the gates and out and also didn’t hear any noise anywhere. Servants also told us that they also didn’t hear nor see anyone that could have been inside. Moreover, this is really bad news for Parliament. It was known that Sylvester was supposed to be the leader of Parliament in next few months but this had brought a new decision to regain the rightness.
Parliament decided that son of Sylvester, whose name is still unknown, will take over in about a year after he had been trained to be a proper leader. Few months before this tragic event, Mr. Roland told us that he had no intention of giving up the offer that had been made and that he will “take that role onto his shoulders”.
The whereabouts of future leader of Parliament is unknown also since the boy had escaped the Main Mansion about a week ago. They had a portrait of him hung on the wall right in the entry way so if anybody sees a boy about 17 years old, black hair, grey eyes, please report to the police.
Also in the crime scene, there was a note that read:
“One down, two to go. Unless you give us back what’s ours. 
C.”
Police is currently tracking down who wrote this note and possible who killed the future leader of Parliament. From now on, be careful of who you meet in your house.

I put away the newspaper and my eyes instantly looked at Drake who was bickering with Mr. Duke that made them both look like small children fighting over a toy. Drake saw me looking at him and stopped talking, stepping over to my side and taking the newspaper in his hands his eyes going over the article.
Anger flashed so quickly over his gaze that surprised me as he tore the newspaper in half and handed it back to me his grey eyes going darker and darker in color. I took the newspaper my eyes still wide staring at him along with Mr. Duke who was watching him more persistently than I did. Drake after few minutes calmed down and wiped his hand down his face taking deep breaths. At last I asked him tossing the ripped paper away. “Drake?”
He looked at me and I could see clearly tears shining in them ready to spill out which made me feel a bit sorry for him. Instead of standing up and hugging him like any other girl would have done, I averted my gaze downwards and continued looking down at my hands. “Calm down. And bring me tea along with piece cake. Go.” 
Drake chuckled lowly and nodded turning around to the table and while he was gathering what I wanted, Mr. Duke sat down beside me crossed his arms his curious gaze going to me. “So, Miss Violet, will you stay here?” I glanced at Drake’s back and then at Mr. Duke with light smile. “Of course, if you’ll feed me whatever I want and let me do whatever I want. I’m like a cat, Mr. Duke. I’ll do whatever I want and go wherever I want.”
Mr. Duke laughed out loud and nodded taking my hand into his cold one. “I’m sure of that. And I’m sure that you just as cute as cat when you sleep.” Spoon clattered against the floor our gazes instantly going to Drake that still had his back to us but bent down and picked it up. I noticed that he was faintly shaking as if holding something and thought of him laughing at me when I was asleep made me want to throw at him something.
He returned holding delicious smelling cake and tea sitting down on smaller chair beside mine and held out the plate with fork his steel grey gaze glaring at my hand that Mr. Duke still held. As if sensing that Drake hated that, Mr. Duke pulled my hand closer to him his red eyes getting scary shade at the sunlight. Drake seemed unfazed by it all only by our joined hands and waited patiently for me to take the plate.
I wrenched my hand from Mr. Duke’s and took the plate immediately beginning to eat the cake. Drake smiled at me and gave me tea as well when I took enough bites as Mr. Duke stood and turned to the table taking what he liked. When I could speak, I said. “Mr. Duke? Did you know Sylvester Roland?” He turned around and leaned against the table nodding slowly. “Yes, indeed I did. He was a close friend. Why?” He asked curiously me but I shook my head remembering his worrying face. Maybe that’s why.
After I was done with my tea and cake, Drake helped me up and hooking my arm on his, led me out back to the room. I stopped him when we reached the library and he opened the doors for me lighting up the candles wherever I went. Titles were amazing and authors were none that I’ve knew of but still this library was much larger than in the Academy. Perhaps I should stay here after all. Laugh escaped from me and Drake looked at me questioningly while I shook my head to myself knowing that I did act like a cat. Go wherever I want, do whatever I want, unpredictable.
I froze seeing familiar name and took out the book scanning insides of it excitement again growing inside of me. This was the continuation of information about Council, the group that no one heard of but still there were few additions that got out about it so now everyone in Academy knew about them. Good thing that no one in outside world knew about them so secret group stayed secret. Merciless killers, assassins, truth - fighters for justice, they sounded in fact like heroes. When I finished reading about them, I put the book away and huffed crossing my arms over my robe. That book like first one told me nothing but that they are killers and warriors.
Drake glanced up to me from his book which writing was bunch of scribbles that were not known to me and smiled brightly at me then looking back to his book. I looked around and grinned seeing map of this place. I climbed up on the bookshelf the shelves are creaking under my weight and when I reached the top, I flipped through the air snatching the map and landing on the other side of bookshelf breathing hard. 
I turned around and pushed the books away calling out to Drake. He looked up from his book and searched around him for me until he found me and laughed softly. I glared at him and said clearly not bothering to lower my tone. “We are getting out of here. Tonight.” Grin appeared again on my face as I held up the map for him to see.

Drake moved silently in front of me taking out all the guards that were in our way while I trailed after him letting him do his job. Indeed this was really beneficial to have him here with me, for him to get rid of everything in the way. Perhaps I should help him out instead of lose him on the road. He slammed hilt of his sword into the back of guard’s helmet and he dropped unconscious then Drake turned around to me and smiled ruthlessly. “Shall we continue, princess?”
I kicked him hard stepping around him and starting to continue our �" no, my �" way through the mansion holding onto the map. Drake limped beside me while rubbing his leg his gaze focused forward but it was funny to see him actually glare for something that I did and not laugh. I stopped him arm outstretched listening to sound of the wind and searching for any sound of clacking of boots.
When there was no sound of whatsoever only rustling of leaves, I stepped around the corner head on into Mr. Duke. I stumbled back but his cold arms went around me and held me tightly his snarling face few inches away from mine. “What do you think you are doing, Violet?” Fear grew inside of me while I stared into those horrible red eyes and next second they were gone along with cold hold. 
Warm arms picked me up then and without giving me anytime to get a follow up on what was happening, I was dropped out of the window. Scream tore through my throat but I managed to quickly shut it off and turn around wait until I was near the tree line. Then I pushed myself off the wall and flew through the air at the tree. My back slammed into the trunk for the second time as I fell down crumpling down on the ground.
I coughed couple of times attempting to regain my vision although everything kept swimming around me and dizziness still didn't leave me after few minutes. Then once again, warm arms snaked around me picking me up again and pressed my fragile body to firm warmth easing the pain in my back. Drake leaned close enough for me to see his face and he smiled lightly. “Sorry, Violet.”
Scowl regained on my lips as I replied lowly. “Get us out of here, b*****d, before I change my mind about helping you out.” He laughed soundly and walked inside the forest heading back to Academy. While being calmed down by the rocking he made when he walked, I slowly doze off for couple of minutes and when he stopped, I opened my eyes and looked up asking him. “Why did we stop?”
As soon as I saw he was staring at something else, I turned my head into that direction and inhaled sharply seeing Mr. Duke and his companions. Terrible smile came into view again. “Hello, again, dear Violet. Shall we go back?”


© 2013 Ice Girl


Author's Note

Ice Girl
Whoooo!!! Another chapter is done!!!!! >.< What do you think of it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
Added on February 4, 2013
Last Updated on February 4, 2013


Author

Ice Girl
Ice Girl

Canada



About
Hello, guys! What to tell... Well, I a simple romantic and fantasy lover so anything that goes from elves to trolls is perfect for me to read. I dislike books that don't have any romance (not even a .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 - Max Chapter 2 - Max

A Chapter by Ice Girl