Usermap To the Cafe

Usermap To the Cafe

A Story by Nicole Hellene

It's no secret. Writerscafe has degenerated into the ghetto of internet writing resources. It's also no secret that I'm jaded about it. An influx of scene kids and emo poets has flooded this site making it just another teen livejournal site for rants and raves and very little actual writing.

However, I've been here since 2006, and luckily I know there still exists a smidgen of skill in this corner of the web. For those of you looking for it, there's a reason you haven't been able to find it, so I've compiled a list of the people that I feel are constructive members of this community, and the ones to be avoided (this list is on-going, shoot me a PM to be added or if I missed someone).


Local Talent:

Nihad (Comme Une Fois J'ai Rêvé)- This man is hands down an amazing writer in the poetry genre. He's a published poet (and it's hard to get published in poetry) and does his own photography. He runs the Versenators group on the cafe. Poets can learn worlds from him.

Valerie Jones- Mod of the Underground Writers Network, which was the first ever group on WC (props).

Lola Nation- heads Write The Future and WTF radio. Another amazing poet, published. She organizes the occasional meetups on this site.

Magnolia Belle- She gives the most indepth reviews of just about any writer I've met on this site. Very thorough and helpful, she's a good fiction writer.

Lyttleton- Progressive, Indie, despondent, and talented. His poetry is statement poetry riddled with deeper meaning, same as his fiction but he's primarily poetry.

Hedra Helix- Simply rocks. Another poet whose writing is riddled with deeper meanings and hidden statements. Her fiction is lush imagery and she was also the original erotica guru. Knows her stuff.

Carol Maric- One of the vets of this site, is amazing all around poetry and fiction. Published and knows her stuff inside and out. You will learn.

Roy L. Pickering. Jr- Has been here since this site launched and knows his fiction. Published.

Paul Grimsley- Mod of “Writers, Prizefighters, and Caffeine Inspired All-Nighters” group. Also involved in the Indiebookshelf.com project. Published. Another good fiction writer the rest of us can learn from.

Wendy Grimsley- Mod of the indiebookshelf.com project, I've bookmarked a few of the writers I found on that site. It's different and you'll find stuff you won't find in Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Michael Carr- He sends out tons of read requests so beware if you add him, but he is a really good fiction writer and knows his stuff. Famous for his “Chronicles of Bob” stories. Fiction writers can learn from him.

(ongoing, I removed people and I added ppl, will continue to).


Writers we will dearly miss-

V- You got out early, but damn you were the life of the party. You were what I aptly refer to as an Indie Poet, you didn't care who you pissed off or what your poetry meant to anyone except you. The first meetup was sprung from an idea you got because you couldn't get to sleep. This place is dismal without you taking pot-shots at society. You were WC's original slam-poet.

Justin Aucion- Everyone knows Pirates are way cooler than Ninja's. He was a swashbuckling writer and a elegant poet. Another one I looked up to. So sad to see him go.

L. L. Jacobson- Closed her account early but was an amazing fiction writer, inspired one of my stories. Published, and I hope she's doing well.

Brandon T. Bisceglia- Another poet of endless potential. It's sad to see another one go.

William J. Wilkins- I remember your motorcycle story that was published in a biker magazine. Congrats. Wherever you are, I hope your writing career has taken off.

Angel Marie Antonette- Another beat-poet with good fiction skills. She was a vet member of BAPTS way back when. Hasn't been around, will be missed.

Li Li- another beat writer and slam poet, I think she's now a recording artist as well.


Francis Meyrick- Has started his own site at Writersharbor.org. Unlike some places, he actually moderates.




Writers to be avoided-

Sean Allen- Pedophile. Serious. PM me and I'll send you the emails. I had to block this guy before there was a block button.

Legacy- SPAMMER! I suspect that this writer is actually several users, but he will send you group invite after group invite for his poetry group

Budo- Classic example of freeverse gone horribly wrong, unless you like that kind of stuff. Lousy emotional prose.

Erotic Goddess- Smut Writer. Writes trashy pornographic stories and pushes ethics boundaries to get attention. Let's just say the only reason the FCC isn't on her case is because written word is protected content.

Aradia Redswan- Don't know if she's still here but she tries to write fiction and fails. You will learn nothing or be none the wiser for reviewing and if you leave a bad review, you will be harassed on PM.

Blackbirdsong- another example of freeverse gone horribly wrong. They need to create a group for these writers and just shove them to the side. You won't learn anything from reading their writing.

Rain- This guy is high strung and uber-philosophical. In other words, he spouts philosophy that doesn't make sense and if you call him on it, he blocks you. Don't bother, unless you like rolling on X and musing about random BS.

Ice Queen of the Vampires- What part of “Enter your real name at sign up” don't you understand?

*Basically avoid anyone with a weird pen name who is around 18 years old and has four pages of poetry on their profiles.


For those of you who wander here in search of literary support and find nothing but junk, I hope this will help you navigate your way around the ghetto. I wish I would have been more involved in the community when it was at it's peak. There was a meetup like 20 mins from my house once and I didn't go. Regretting it, regretting that I thought social networks were a fad, and hoping to see this site restored.

Some people will most likely complain about this list (notably the ones on the lower part of it), so I'd copy and save this before it gets deleted. If it does, you'll know who complained.

As for me, I'm a journalist and not even I'd ask for a review from myself. I'll admit that much. I'm working on a "big project" that has a publisher's eye and am only on here because there's no where else to go. I'm like that kid who graduates high school but still hangs around the building, free to go but where? If you want a review, PM me, I'll see what I can do.

Hopefully this place will get back to being a grassroots Writers Cafe instead of a mainstream trendy Barnes and Noble.

© 2009 Nicole Hellene


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A few years ago, on American Idol, Simon told Jenifer Hudson that she would never go anywhere. Simon told Jen she was too overweight, didn't know how to dress in-style and that her musical talent was, at best, minimul. Today, Jen Hudson NOT ONLY HAS AN OSCAR for Best Supporting Actress, but she has a banging career in the music industry. I too, am a 'certified'journalist. So what? That degree does not make me better than anyone else, or set me on a pedestal apart. In fact, as good of a writer as I am, I still have it in me to say that my ex-fiancee, who broke my heart, is a God Gifted writer on a level to which I will never ever reach. Never, never, never cut down the words of another writer. In that writer, whom you have judged, could very well be another "War and Peace", "Atlas Shrugged", "The Great Gatsby". A writer is someone who reaches out to the world, using words as a stepping stone to cement understanding. In all of us, is a writer. And while some might be further along than others in their prose, this does not mean that anyone has the right to judge how another writer reaches out to the world with their words. To some, there is not greater book than "Catcher In The Rye" others prefer Dr. Suess. To each his own. Lastly, as a journalist you should know the meaning of the word LIBEL. I would be careful calling Sean Allen as you did. That sort of name calling and accusation can get you sued....

Posted 14 Years Ago


18 of 18 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A few years ago, on American Idol, Simon told Jenifer Hudson that she would never go anywhere. Simon told Jen she was too overweight, didn't know how to dress in-style and that her musical talent was, at best, minimul. Today, Jen Hudson NOT ONLY HAS AN OSCAR for Best Supporting Actress, but she has a banging career in the music industry. I too, am a 'certified'journalist. So what? That degree does not make me better than anyone else, or set me on a pedestal apart. In fact, as good of a writer as I am, I still have it in me to say that my ex-fiancee, who broke my heart, is a God Gifted writer on a level to which I will never ever reach. Never, never, never cut down the words of another writer. In that writer, whom you have judged, could very well be another "War and Peace", "Atlas Shrugged", "The Great Gatsby". A writer is someone who reaches out to the world, using words as a stepping stone to cement understanding. In all of us, is a writer. And while some might be further along than others in their prose, this does not mean that anyone has the right to judge how another writer reaches out to the world with their words. To some, there is not greater book than "Catcher In The Rye" others prefer Dr. Suess. To each his own. Lastly, as a journalist you should know the meaning of the word LIBEL. I would be careful calling Sean Allen as you did. That sort of name calling and accusation can get you sued....

Posted 14 Years Ago


18 of 18 people found this review constructive.

Two things.
1. Nothing wrong with free verse that vents the overbearing emotion of a lot of troubled children/adults in today culture. Sometimes it is the only way to let go of the things we hold too closely. I, myself, write poetry that closely relates to how I am feeling when inspiration hits and, sadly, it usually hits when my emotions are running at their limit, and I cannot hold it in any longer. I love poetry. Very much. I write it often, though I prefer my short stories and the novel I am working on. I do not read a lot of poetry here because I prefer reading a different brand than I write (i.e. Robert Frost, William Blake, Poe and Emily Dickenson-whom I have been equated to). However, the draw to writing it here is that there is meant to be no slander or hate coming from the readers. It is meant to be a free place where anyone can write what and how they feel without discrimination from others, like is often found on Myspace and other networking sites.
2. Erotic Goddess is in no way smut. The erotic and/or romance genre happens to be the largest trend in American literature today and has been, actually, for several generations. I have kept up on the writings of this particular erotica author and find her romantic ideals refreshing and carefully thought out. She writes her heart onto the page and be damned the people who don't like it. I commend her for her bravery.

I understand that you have every right to express your opinion and I am sorry that you feel there has been a decline in the quality of writing on this site. I have noticed the scene kids coming and going. They never stay long. But at least one author on your list is actually a good writer... and I felt the need to voice my own opinion though I am sure it matters little. Thank you for the time. And I am sorry you feel the way you do.

Posted 14 Years Ago


8 of 8 people found this review constructive.

Wow. sounds as if someone got up on the wrong side of the internet this morning.
There is this document called the Consititution that allows us to freely speak. And believe it or not that means writing..being able to write what you want. We are all inspired by different things. Whether its vampires or erotica.

As for me, I tend to write about love. Do you have a problem with that subject material? I never wanted to be published, but over the years have had many people respond favorably to my work. In the end, I write for me. If someone enjoys or is challenged or even stimulated by what I write, great! If not, I don't intend to make a living as a writer so I don't care.
I do find it very sad that you cannot appreciate people for who they are, trying to explore their world through writing. I know I have been writing for nearly 40 years and seen my materieal improve.
So be sure to take the log out of your own eye before commenting on the splinter in someone else's.

Posted 14 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.

I don't see the point of this writing. I've been here a while and there are people that you consider are local talent that I don't rate at all, and other that you pan that I know are excellent writers - as well as good friends. There are many that I consider greats that are gone, but you don't mention them, and some of your greats, I've never come across. Is Carol still here???? I haven't seen her in many months, although I admit that I haven't looked at her profile recently.

That aside, you don't establish your criteria. And you've panned at least two people that I consider to have distinctive voices, while promoting a person who reviews a lot (and is a friend, btw), but has some problems as a writer. I love him to bits, but I have issues with his writing (and I've told him about them). You mention the emo writers, but don't list any of them - you don't mention erotica writers, but then you pan two of the more soft core examples (although one not for her erotica), the other for her polemics - but as polemics go, she's nothing like the ones that have killed the Cafe over the past year. If you are going to go after an erotica writer, at least go after one of the more pornographic ones or one that writes BDSM.

You are just spouting opinions and not backing them up with facts. Isn't that a point of an essay? If you want your opinions to appear as facts, give examples: highlights to make me want to read your favourites, or lowlights to make me want to avoid the others.

In not writing to pander for a review, you have written a piece that is blatantly attention-seeking, rather than giving a useful roadmap - even to the point of libel.

Posted 14 Years Ago


11 of 12 people found this review constructive.

"Ice Queen of the Vampires- What part of "Enter your real name at sign up" don't you understand?"

Excuse me, but when I signed up over 2 years ago, I never read that anywhere. There are plenty of people who didn't enter their real names so don't single me out with that.

What gives you the right to say things like that about people??? What makes you the High and Mighty Expert???

"*Basically avoid anyone with a weird pen name who is around 18 years old and has four pages of poetry on their profiles."

And just what is the big deal with writing lots of poetry??? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Get off your high horse, I highly doubt you're a perfect writer.



Posted 14 Years Ago


11 of 11 people found this review constructive.

For those of you who read this and agree with the writer, then I am sorry that you would allow another to make up your mind for you. For those of you who actually think for yourselves, I would invite you to my page to read my "smut" and hope that you would take a moment to perhaps form an opinion for yourselves, although, many of you, whom I respect and admire, would have done so anyway.

Read My Writing

A Writer's Life for MeA Story by Erotic Goddess

What Began in Eve's Garden...A Poem by Erotic Goddess

Poems from an Irish B***h ~ Hidden HypocriteA Poem by Erotic Goddess

Unexpected...A Poem by Erotic Goddess

Erotic MotionsA Poem by Erotic Goddess

Beneath the Artificial SurfaceA Poem by Erotic Goddess

Posted 14 Years Ago


7 of 9 people found this review constructive.

...

Posted 14 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

So there I was, not quite sure why I was there, thinking that I might have a cookie and a glass of milk. I noticed the the cookie was not a cookie, nor in the least, was what I had thought a glass of milk actually a glass of milk. Deciding that perhaps I was still asleep, I decided not to take anything too seriously in my journey.

The dream appeared to go on for years without any break of a rational kind. The whole event felt more like a break from the rational, to be honest. Still, I was there and all that; so I decide to muddle on the best I could. There were days when the Sun forgot to rise. There were days when I forgot to rise. Yet believe me, I never confused myself for the Sun.

As the seconds, as the minutes, as the hours, as the days, as the weeks, as the months, as the years, as the decades . . . all slipped by, I noticed one thing above all else. That the cookie was indeed a cookie. That the glass of milk was indeed a glass of milk. I had been wrong all that time, and I had lived my life based on that faulty presumption. Of course, by the time I had this epiphany; the cookie was stale and the milk was sour.

I cursed those around me, for not having pointed out the obvious, that the cookie - that the milk - were what they were. I could not fathom how they could have allowed me to wander around in such a wretched state of delusion for so long.

Then I remembered. They had tried to point out to me that my cookie was a cookie. They had tried to point out to me that my glass of milk was a glass of milk. They had tried to point out to me that I was wrong. but how could I be wrong, and so I continued . . . being wrong.

I looked back at the words that I had unleashed upon the world in those years were I had been so distraught. They were harsh. They were vile. They were born from the bleak, black morass of my own soul. I had raged upon them since I could not find it within myself to rage upon myself. They were the easier victim of the mess that had become my life at the time.

Now I sit here, trying to remember all the lessons I learned over those years. As I read this, I wonder if it is simply a piece of s**t. Having learned my lessons well, I will not seek to go a single day in denial in regards to this. It is a piece of s**t. One of those, oh, I do not know . . . you know . . . pieces of s**t. Where you think you have finished going, quite unaware that you have a villainous turtlehead lurking in wait for you; so that at that first wipe, you simply smear it all over the place between your a*s cheeks. You never quite feel quite clean after doing that, am I right? Shower or no shower, it takes a bit of time to recover from that one.

It will take me a little bit of time to recover from reading this waste of bandwidth...

...have a nice day.

Posted 14 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.

Usermap To the Cafe
A Story by Nicole Hellene


How about a new title for your story? let's say:

"How to slander the good writers
and embarress myself"
a piece of crap by StupidityII


You are so self unassured in order to success you have to take a bite out of someone else

Get over it already~ you have made yourself look very stupid by printing such trash about good writers,
and also the young and up coming writers on this site` besides where do you get off judging ,who
is worthy to write and who isn't What a crock!!

Blackbird, Grande ,Cowboy,Exotic Goddess,Rain, et al are all exellent writers
and don't call Exotic writing "smut" after the crap you just wrote here
there are many Genres and writers write about many thing via poetry in art form
it demands respect no matter what genree we write in




Posted 14 Years Ago


12 of 12 people found this review constructive.

You were one of my first friends here on WC and I actually admired you for being strong in your stand on certain views- knowing you're taking a chance of getting verbally bashed for some of the things you say.

I have, in the past and just recently, taken up for you because it is "YOUR FREEDOM" to say whatever you want. But no... not this time. You're bashing people here and hurting them. What goes around comes around and what comes to you- out of this piece- is what you deserve.

Good Luck with this piece- You'll definitely need it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2327 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 24, 2009
Last Updated on June 2, 2009

Author

Nicole Hellene
Nicole Hellene

UCLA, CA



About
Makin money. If you want to fix the Cafe, go to this group. Good Luck: What's Wrong With Writerscafe?1 Members What Would You Change About Writerscafe?Apr 7, 2009 - Jun 7, 2009 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Home Birth.. Home Birth..

A Story by Rain


For You For You

A Poem by Celtic Cat